Thread: Underwood 9mm+p+ 124 grn gold dot V .357 sig 125 gn. gold dot

Feedback Score

Underwood 9mm+p+ 124 grn gold dot V .357 sig 125 gn. gold dot

I used to carry for a few years a 6" .357 mag revolver as a duty gun fed with 125 grn hollowpoints. I saw how this load worked on the street and it made a lasting impression.

Which is why the .357 sig was developed but it wasn't very long before it was downloaded from the 1450fps that it originally had.

We also have to acknowledge the changes in handgun ammo brought about by the FBI protocols. Which in my view has made all handgun ammo perform better and has made it all more or less perform within 15% of it other no matter what caliber. I know I have just answered my own questions I am going to post. But this .357 sig is an itch that keeps coming back.

Then today I was bored on a long conference call so I had the volume off and watched some you tube videos.

Underwood ammo is interesting especially looking at 9mm and .357 sig.

9MM 124 grain gold dot +P+ .357 sig 125 grain gold dot

FPS 1300 1511

FT LB 464 634

Expansion .703 cal .57 cal

Penetration 13.25" 15"

So the question is are the difference listed above really going to make a difference?

What do you think and why?
    Last edited by yoni; 11-16-16 at 14:11.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The reason that 357 worked is because those early hollow points needed a higher velocity to expand reliably. Especially through clothing.

It's not needed with the bullet designs of today. Actually the opposite in a way, the heavier for caliber loads are recommended as the most consistently barrier blind.10mm and 357 SIG (Even 40 SW in my opinion) are obsolete. Bigger gun, lower capacity, more recoil, more $ per round, no significantly measurable increase in terminal performance.

Feedback Score
    Todd

I agree on a logical level. But on an emotional level it just keeps coming up in my mind. With the FBI protocol all ammo works great today.

Understand how crazy all this is, in Israel for years we were forced to carry 9mm ball and it got the job done.

I just crawl down this rat hole once every 18 months or so.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I see one instance where the 357 Sig's increased velocity could be relevant: when the target is further away, like 50 yards or more. Too, a lesser rated round not on the charts might perform better in this caliber. Most know that 40 S&W and 357 Sigs barrels interchange in the same handgun and use the same magazines. An individual might not be concerned with issues faced by agencies such as increased wear, expense, and ease of training. It is my understanding that officers using the 357 Sig in shootings sing its praises. My unqualified opinion is yes, it's true that there may be little statistical difference between the 9mm and 357 sig using approved ammo; but, that little bit extra might be needed in some circumstances. My rationalization might comfort Yoni who wants a 357 Sig for a house or field pistol but likely won't motivate the man buying pistols for an agency.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I had one in the dark ages. It was later in the AWB so high cap 9mm mags were crazy expensive. Not knowing better I chased "power" in a 10 round mag.

I do think it was fun to shoot recreationally, like a big revolver can be. Maybe get one with an extended slide and mini red dot more for fun.