Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steyr SSG 04

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Steyr SSG 04

Just purchased a new Steyr SSG 04 in .300 Win Mag a couple days ago. I'd like to start competing in a local 1000 yard rifle shoot. Our 1000 yard rifle range is only 5 miles from my house. The SSG 04 comes with a 20 MOA rail and I'll probably go with Leupold Mark 4 rings, a LaRue QD mount or a Spuhr scope mount. Does anyone have one of these rifles or any experience with them? I bought the last one available in .300 Win Mag directly from Steyr. It has been discontinued in this caliber. There are no 10-round magazines available right now, so they included a 5-round Mag and the 10-round adapter. The 10-round mags will be included in their next shipment from Austria. Any thoughts on what glass to put on it? I like the NightForce scope. Had one sold it. I'd like a scope that will work in most situations. It's really going to be too heavy to hunt with though.

SamM

Last edited by SamM; 12-24-16 at 07:34. Reason: Added a better picture
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Of those options, I would go with the Spuhr mount. Don't see the point of QD on a bolt gun honestly. What is your budget on glass? Vortex Razor II line is excellent glass for a good price. Botach currently has the Steiner M5Xi 5-25x56 on a crazy sale for over 1000 off. It is currently 2,106 here https://www.botach.com/steiner-5550-...for-low-price/ Since you won't be hunting with it, weight shouldn't be much of an issue and either will get you to 1,000 on that rifle with relative ease. Do you have specific criteria for your glass that may change an opinion as to what to go with?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    A QD mount isn't a requirement for me or anything like that. The LaRue mounts are extremely nicely and are the only QD mounts that return to zero. If I was running numerous rifles then a QD mount would make more sense. I could run it on several different rifles. A Spuhr mount will probably be what I go with. I was leaning that way. It has many features that I like, never heard anything negative about them. Leupold Mark 4 rings are on my Steyr Scout .308W rifle with a Leupold 3x9-40 Patrol. It's my go to hunting rifle. I've used these rings a lot over the years. Sometimes I fall back into what I know.

As far as glass, I'd love to have a new Schmidt & Bender or a NightForce B.E.A.S.T. Those may be out of my price range but anything is possible. I'd like to find something in the $2500 price range. That's a great deal on the Steiner but sadly my bank account has to recover before the SSG is scoped. This was an unplanned purchase. I called them to order parts and asked about the .300WM SSG. It was no longer listed on their website. I'm glad I called. Jake told me that he just saw one in the warehouse and that the rifle had been discontinued. Sure enough they had one last rifle. He had to fight with the warehouse manager to get it for me. A gunshop that couldn't pay their bill had just returned it. The SSG is mainly for competition and punching paper but I might use it on groundhogs in the Summer.

Thanks for the information, fallenromeo! Wish I could get the Steiner.

SamM
    Last edited by SamM; 12-24-16 at 07:34.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SamM View Post
    A QD mount isn't a requirement for me or anything like that. The LaRue mounts are extremely nicely and are the only QD mounts that return to zero. If I was running numerous rifles then a QD mount would make more sense. I could run it on several different rifles. A Spuhr mount will probably be what I go with. I was leaning that way. It has many features that I like, never heard anything negative about them. Leupold Mark 4 rings are on my Steyr Scout .308W rifle with a Leupold 3x9-40 Patrol. It's my go to hunting rifle. I've used these rings a lot over the years. Sometimes I fall back into what I know.

As far as glass, I'd love to have a new Schmidt & Bender or a NightForce B.E.A.S.T. Those may be out of my price range but anything is possible. I'd like to find something in the $2500 price range. That's a great deal on the Steiner but sadly my bank account has to recover before the SSG is scoped. This was an unplanned purchase. I called them to order parts and asked about the .300WM SSG. It was no longer listed on their website. I'm glad I called. Jake told me that he just saw one in the warehouse and that the rifle had been discontinued. Sure enough they had one last rifle. He had to fight with the warehouse manager to get it for me. A gunshop that couldn't pay their bill had just returned it. Jake at Steyr only charged me a couple hundred dollars more than what my Scout rifle cost me. The SSG is mainly for competition and punching paper but I might use it on groundhogs in the Summer.

Thanks for the information, fallenromeo! Wish I could get the Steiner.

SamM
    It is a shame that you can't grab the Steiner right now. That is a huge steal for so much scope. But when the time comes, the Vortex Razor HD II 4.5-27x56 goes for right about 2,500 which is right at your price range. So when the time comes, you still have a very high quality optic that is in your price range. You won't have to worry about catching it on sale like the Steiner. Good luck, and congrats on the new rifle!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    That Steiner would be nice to have. Something will be on sale when the time is right. I have all Winter. The range shuts down on Saturday. Not a huge fan of the Vortex optics. We'll see what happens. Right now, I can't wait to pick up the rifle.

Thanks!

SamM

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    fallenromeo.
    Is there a big difference between the Steiner M5Xi and the T5Xi riflescopes? I just found the T5Xi for $1999.99 at MidwayUSA. Just wondering what the difference is between these two scopes. Looks like just the reticle to me. The price is basically the same, so that's a moot point. Black Friday is coming up and I might be able to swing a purchase. Not sure yet. I might switch over to all Steiner optics. My binos are already Steiner.

Thanks!

SamM
    Last edited by SamM; 11-19-16 at 07:25.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SamM View Post
    fallenromeo.
    Is there a big difference between the Steiner M5Xi and the T5Xi riflescopes? I just found the T5Xi for $1999.99 at MidwayUSA. Just wondering what the difference is between these two scopes. Looks like just the reticle to me. The price is basically the same, so that's a moot point. Black Friday is coming up and I might be able to swing a purchase. Not sure yet. I might switch over to all Steiner optics. My binos are already Steiner.

Thanks!

SamM
    I have never even laid a finger on the T series, so I don't have any personal experience with them. I do know that it has the same glass as the M line and is assembled in the US while the M line I believe is assembled in Germany, but I could be wrong. But I have read a few concerning things regarding the T line on Snipershide. Apparently the T line has had trouble with off center reticles, canted reticles, problems tracking, etc. If you can swing it, go with the M line, at least until they work out the bugs being that the T line is relatively new. The M line is solid.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Thanks!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Last week, I picked up the SSG 04. This thing is a work of art. If it shoots as good as it looks, I'll be quite happy with it. The hammer forged barrel is very aesthetically pleasing to the eye. The 10-round adapter has already been installed. A new black 1750 Pelican rifle case needs to be ordered for it. My Harris bipod is on it now. I've looked at several scopes. This rifle deserves a high end optic, for sure. All my optics may be switched over to Steiner after looking at their lineup.

SamM

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Let us know how she shoots after you take it to the range

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast