Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rem 700 SPS Varmit

Feedback Score

Rem 700 SPS Varmit

I'm wanting to get my self a little after Christmas gift. Going to order a model 700 sps varmit in .308 to use as a precision tactical/deer rifle. I'm a lefty so my options are pretty limited as far as guns that fit the bill. Only issue I have with the rifle is the 26" barrel length, great for the bench, not so much for woods. I want to get the barrel cut down and threaded, not sure on exact length. I was thinking around 22" so it's handy in the woods but still gets good velocity for long range shooting. I don't plan or have access to 1k range and I believe that's a bit out of the scope of .308 anyways, they make a .300 magnum for that I will be shooting at 500yards off the bench mostly, with occasional usage out to around 800 yards, and use during deer season for deer out to 300 yards. Any barrel length recommendations and also a recommended smith to do the work?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Would a cut barrel to 22" be any better than the factory sps tact. Model with a threaded 20" heavy barrel? Does .308 gain that much velocity from 2inches? I'd just do that other than it being a little heavier I guess, trade offs??? Well I guess the varmit model is a heavy barrel too right?
    Last edited by masenomics; 12-25-16 at 13:14.

Feedback Score
    Tactical model don't come left handed. Varmit model is my only option, which is fine other than the 26" barrel.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I didn't realize they only made the tactical model in right hand only what a bummer.

Feedback Score
    So who do you all recommend to cut down the barrel, recrown+thread it? Also thinking about getting it flutted and definitely want the barreled action cerakoted.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    LRI does great work and they're fast (as far as top of the line gunsmiths go).

A .308 is perfectly capable of shooting 1k and further with a good optic. Don't cheap out on glass or all the money you spent on the rifle will be worthless.

Feedback Score
    I had a 700 SPS-V until last month when i sold it.

Your reasoning is exactly why i finally sold it. The 26" barrel was too much for me. Add a suppressor onto that and it was nearly unmanageable.

I had given thought to cutting down the barrel (i should have down it when i paid to have it threaded) but i ended up selling it and buying an SPS tactical. Luckily, i didn't have to deal with the lefty option, but i was very happy to have the 1/10 rifling for 200grain subs as well. As far as who to cut it down, I'll say that Wheaton Arms in upstate of SC did mine and did a great job with the threading and recrown.
    I always wanted to take two shotguns and mount one on either side of a Rottweiler...I will call the breed a Shottweiler

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    You can buy a threaded 20 inch barrel. Buy the 5R threaded and you won't have to cut it down. But if you decide to buy and cut. Go 20 inches. Fine to kill deer to 300+ yards and will be great for range work. And if you decide on a can down the road, all good there too.

PB.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    You can buy a threaded 20 inch barrel. Buy the 5R threaded and you won't have to cut it down. But if you decide to buy and cut. Go 20 inches. Fine to kill deer to 300+ yards and will be great for range work. And if you decide on a can down the road, all good there too.

PB.
    Oh believe me a can in the future is definitely in the plans

My line of thinking on this has changed a little bit now though. Thinking of getting a Tikka in .308 now, and getting it rebarrled in 6.5 creedmore. That will knock out target shooting and medium sized game in one swoop. Accauracy and hunting reports I've been reading about that round are amazing. Tikka is cheaper and made better, action doesn't need any blueprinting or truing, they shot lights out from the factory.
    Last edited by graffex; 12-27-16 at 18:21.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Don't they make a 6.5? I love Tikka, but I think it's a waiste to buy a Tikka and re barrel. It might shoot worse. Tikka makes some fine shooting barrels. Just my .02

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast