Page 17 of 62 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Got a knife? Axe? Bow? Any edged sharp pokey thing? Post it!!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TriggerFish View Post

Al Mar Hawk - This one was given to me by Al Mar at the 1992 S.O.F. Convention in Las Vegas.
    This was just a few months before Al died. R.I.P.
    It has beautiful simple lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    In God We Trust

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    In God We Trust

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would like to fill in the back story of my AMK…

Al Mar Hawk (Model# 1002TW - TITANWOOD scales)
    In the 80’s and early 90’s I used to go every year with friends to the Las Vegas S.O.F. Conventions, mainly for the huge gun show and the Firepower Display. I shot a GE Minigun, a Ma Deuce (mounted on a half track), and a FA American 180 w/275 round drum, all for the first time at the desert range’s rental bays.

Another annual ritual at the S.O.F. gun show was visiting Al Mar at his company booth. A good friend in Seattle would give me a bunch of cash to buy a dozen or more small Al Mar blems or seconds that seemed to only be available at this venue. My friend gave them out to his friends and family for Christmas gifts. Since Al’s booth was always the first place I went when the show doors opened he got to know and expect me to show up. Al would already have 20 or so assorted small knives ready for me to choose from. I would always buy the models that Al recommended. His “blems” would be anyone else’s top of the line. He was VERY particular about what went out with his name on it.

As usual at the ’92 show I went right to the big Al Mar booth to get Christmas knives. Al came right over and started to apologize that he had very few seconds to sell that year. He had cracked down on QC and the result was a big improvement. He only had 7 of the smaller folders to sell. I said that was fine and bought them all. After I paid for them Al reached into his pocket and brought out the knife in the picture above. He said I had been a good customer over the years and it was just a small gesture of thanks.

I then had one of my friends take this picture of Al and me.

(BTW, his grip was like a bench vise!)

Once back home I turned over the 7 knives I bought from AL to my friend plus the balance of his cash. I kept Al’s knife. I have had it now for over 25 years and carry it from time to time.

Sadly, Al died a few months after the ’92 S.O.F. show from an aneurysm. It was only after his passing that I learned he and I were both Industrial Design graduates of the same school; Art Center College of Design, now located in Pasadena, CA. Al had earned a Masters Degree… his masters thesis was building and launching a working 2-man submarine!

R.I.P. Al.

In the Paul Harvey* tradition; “And now you know the rest of the story.”
    *Some may have to look this guy up.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TriggerFish View Post
    I would like to fill in the back story of my AMK…

Al Mar Hawk (Model# 1002TW - TITANWOOD scales)
    In the 80’s and early 90’s I used to go every year with friends to the Las Vegas S.O.F. Conventions, mainly for the huge gun show and the Firepower Display. I shot a GE Minigun, a Ma Deuce (mounted on a half track), and a FA American 180 w/275 round drum, all for the first time at the desert range’s rental bays.

Another annual ritual at the S.O.F. gun show was visiting Al Mar at his company booth. A good friend in Seattle would give me a bunch of cash to buy a dozen or more small Al Mar blems or seconds that seemed to only be available at this venue. My friend gave them out to his friends and family for Christmas gifts. Since Al’s booth was always the first place I went when the show doors opened he got to know and expect me to show up. Al would already have 20 or so assorted small knives ready for me to choose from. I would always buy the models that Al recommended. His “blems” would be anyone else’s top of the line. He was VERY particular about what went out with his name on it.

As usual at the ’92 show I went right to the big Al Mar booth to get Christmas knives. Al came right over and started to apologize that he had very few seconds to sell that year. He had cracked down on QC and the result was a big improvement. He only had 7 of the smaller folders to sell. I said that was fine and bought them all. After I paid for them Al reached into his pocket and brought out the knife in the picture above. He said I had been a good customer over the years and it was just a small gesture of thanks.

I then had one of my friends take this picture of Al and me.

(BTW, his grip was like a bench vise!)

Once back home I turned over the 7 knives I bought from AL to my friend plus the balance of his cash. I kept Al’s knife. I have had it now for over 25 years and carry it from time to time.

Sadly, Al died a few months after the ’92 S.O.F. show from an aneurysm. It was only after his passing that I learned he and I were both Industrial Design graduates of the same school; Art Center College of Design, now located in Pasadena, CA. Al had earned a Masters Degree… his masters thesis was building and launching a working 2-man submarine!

R.I.P. Al.

In the Paul Harvey* tradition; “And now you know the rest of the story.”
    *Some may have to look this guy up.
    A bit similar to my John Noveske blade.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    A bit similar to my John Noveske blade.
    Those become very special. Probably 95%+ of all my other knives have 0 memories connected to them... they're just good tools/art.
    Over the last 2 years I have been slowly giving my oldest grandson some of my small folders. He loves them. They might be remembered by him.

Feedback Score
    Couple of my favorite Kershaws.

IMG_5537.jpg
    IMG_5538.jpg

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Spartan Horkos

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Gene Ingram 101 DP

Page 17 of 62 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast