Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vltor A5 System

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

The Vltor A5 System

I have liked it, and I have hated it. I have finally come to my own conclusions about it, and those are captured below. First, I will start with VLTOR's official statements about their A5 system. Some of us are visual creatures, some of us are "let me read it" types. This handy video should cover both types:

Now, given that, why did I hate the system?

My issue stemmed from the fact that I shoot suppressed. A lot. When you shoot a weapon with a suppressor, it reduces your lock-up timing and leads to more pressure being in the bore when the bolt un-locks. We could debate the physics and semantics of that statement forever, but we won't, because functionally, it is just that. More regurgitation from the bore makes it into the upper. This results in gunk (lube, tar sealant, powder fouling, etc.) ending up on the inside of the feed-lips of the magazine. In humid environments, this can lead to cases taking more effort to strip from a magazine. My results using mil-spec springs both in a carbine RE, and Vltor A5 RE, are that this will cause the failure of the weapon to return to battery sometimes, especially when using the bolt-release or racking the CH, on a reload. I have had multiple failures from a Vltor supplied spring in the A5, doing just this. The spring measured in-spec. For that reason, I no-longer will use a mil-spec spring. I prefer Sprinco Blue for carbines, and Sprinco Green for A5/Rifles. In the end, it was the soft spring from Vltor that led to me abandoning the system for a time. NOT the system itself.

That said, why do I prefer the A5 system? In short, it enlarges the pressure and time envelope that the M4 type rifle will function within. It will allow you to run hotter ammunition with a reduced cyclic rate, and it will allow you to run low pressure ammunition and still afford positive function. Below, I illustrate this by comparing the Vltor A5 with mil-spec spring, to the Carbine system with mil-spec spring. The A5 was tested using the A5h2 (standard) buffer, and the carbine, with the H2 buffer. A suppressor was used to show how significantly increased operating system pressure affects each system, with ejection pattern showing the variances in BCG velocities, PMC XTAC M193 was the ammunition used:

Vltor Suppressed:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y41C4yc46Tg

Carbine RE suppressed:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBsgG9-AKpE

Also look at muzzle movement and consistency of ejection between the two.

Now also note, that I have had more luck with the A5 system cycling Wolf and Tula than I have with the A5 RE and H2 buffer, using no suppressor. The A5 damps things down on the big end, and allows for more lenient bottom of the envelop performance, on the low end.

All-in-all, the A5 simply enlarges the performance envelop that the M4 system will cycle under.
    Last edited by WS6; 11-18-16 at 02:32.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Great post and very interesting. I don't have a suppressor (yet) so I'm looking at things from a non-suppressed point of view. I have three A5 and three mil-spec carbines. For me there is a noticeable difference in the following areas:
    1_ The A5 is quieter. Meaning that I hear less of that slinky sound when running and racking than I do with my mil-spec systems. Not a big deal - just an observation.
    2_ The A5 has much less muzzle rise than my mil-spec systems allowing for more rapid followup shots and faster transition between targets.
    3_ The A5 is much more forgiving with my over gassed rifles. Noveske Recon barrel needs a Springco Green and H3 for proper ejection. My Noveske Recce light is happy with the Springco green and standard H2 buffer. These uppers on one of my mil-spec carbine lowers both shoot brass between 1:00 and 2:00 o'clock.

Anyway, I plan to convert the other three rifles over to the A5 system at some point in the future.

Thanks!
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556BlackRifle View Post
    Great post and very interesting. I don't have a suppressor (yet) so I'm looking at things from a non-suppressed point of view. I have three A5 and three mil-spec carbines. For me there is a noticeable difference in the following areas:
    1_ The A5 is quieter. Meaning that I hear less of that slinky sound when running and racking than I do with my mil-spec systems. Not a big deal - just an observation. Likely due to the smooth ID of the RE on the A5 vs. whatever tube your mil-spec is/was.
    2_ The A5 has much less muzzle rise than my mil-spec systems allowing for more rapid followup shots and faster transition between targets. Recoil forces are spread out over more time.
    3_ The A5 is much more forgiving with my over gassed rifles. Noveske Recon barrel needs a Springco Green and H3 for proper ejection. My Noveske Recce light is happy with the Springco green and standard H2 buffer. These uppers on one of my mil-spec carbine lowers both shoot brass between 1:00 and 2:00 o'clock.

Anyway, I plan to convert the other three rifles over to the A5 system at some point in the future.

Thanks!
    What amazed me is that not only is it more forgiving of overgassing, but ALSO under-gassing. It truly "broadens the envelope".

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Who's running these things in SR-15's?

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I can't believe you are back on the A5 train! What happened to the Super 42?

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by contax_shooter View Post
    Who's running these things in SR-15's?
    I run the A5 with A5H3 in all my 11.5 KAC SBRs. With colt rifle spring. I only shoot 5.56 M193 and MK262 ammo. They all run amazing. Have not switched my 14.5 mod 2 over yet.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayrevolver View Post
    Super 42?
    Not to get too far off topic, but the Super 42 / H2 has been the bee knees on my Colt 14.5" with a carbine RE. No real quantifiable data, but it "feels" like a improvement over the Colt H buffer and carbine spring.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm a fan of the A5 system and use it in my HK MR556 SBR w/a HK416 10.3" barrel which also has a plugged gas block. Right now it'll cycle M855 in both suppressed(SiCo Saker556) and unsuppressed without any issue so I'm happy with my purchase.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 556BlackRifle View Post

Thanks!
    You sure you're using a Springco Green Spring? Those are rifle springs last time I checked. Isn't using a rifle length spring with non-rifle sized buffers a bad idea? Same goes with using a carbine length spring + A5 buffer.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I love my A5 systems. I am currently swapping most of my rifles over to them. I am about 70% converted over now.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast