Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vltor A5 System

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The thing about the A5 system is that most of the benefits arent going to be felt in your shoulder. Switching from a springco blue/H2 to a mil-spec/A5H2 I could barely tell the difference. Its difficult to quantify a wider range of operation, smoother extraction, more consistency in ejection unless you bust out a high speed camera.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    ...Its difficult to quantify a wider range of operation, smoother extraction, more consistency in ejection unless you bust out a high speed camera.
    Seeing slow motion video comparisons between the A5 and Carbine systems is exactly what convinced me to give it a try.
    "I don't just want gun rights... I want individual liberty, a culture of self-reliance....I want the whole bloody thing." - Kim du Toit

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The A5 is what the CAR should have been.

When they cut down the rifle system, they went too far.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    The A5 is what the CAR should have been.

When they cut down the rifle system, they went too far.
    Bingo. There's a reason it took Colt the better part of a decade to get the carbine gas system to function satisfactorily at all.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by contax_shooter View Post
    Who's running these things in SR-15's?
    Made me remember this

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-the-A5-system

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I just installed the A5 on a full Noveske build I did. Ran perfect with the H2 buffer it came with but ordered an H4 which I need to test out. Although my other build runs a carbine buffer and is softer shooting, I am enjoying this system a lot.
    Last edited by Ripdog33; 12-05-16 at 11:21.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JG007 View Post
    Thanks! I remember reading that back a while ago but couldn't find the thread any longer once it pertains to me.

Feedback Score
    Adding a data point for those interested...

BCM 16" Mid-length with A5-H3 locked back 100% using various Wolf ammo listed below. I tried different action springs (Vltor, BCM, Brownells CS, and JP's polished stainless). All were 100% reliable. The ejection pattern was at 4-5 o'clock and about 5-6 feet away. I fired approx. 200 rounds with a fair amount of those being single shots to test lock back on an empty mag. I also tried to induce "limp-wrist" malfs but could not. I was very pleased with the results; very smooth, accurate follow-up shots. I normally don't shoot this crap out of this particular carbine, but they worked. I also have a A5-H2 that has been utterly reliable thus far. I did note that 5.56 ammo ejected at 1-2 o'clock with the H2 and now ejects at 3ish with the H3. (Note: I do know that ejection pattern isn't the most popular metric on this board, but it's more data to share.)

Wolf 55 gr FMJ/SP/HP (Polyformance & Military Classic)
    Wolf 62 gr FMJ (Polyformance)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpwnag3 View Post
    Adding a data point for those interested...

BCM 16" Mid-length with A5-H3 locked back 100% using various Wolf ammo listed below. I tried different action springs (Vltor, BCM, Brownells CS, and JP's polished stainless). All were 100% reliable. The ejection pattern was at 4-5 o'clock and about 5-6 feet away. I fired approx. 200 rounds with a fair amount of those being single shots to test lock back on an empty mag. I also tried to induce "limp-wrist" malfs but could not. I was very pleased with the results; very smooth, accurate follow-up shots. I normally don't shoot this crap out of this particular carbine, but they worked. I also have a A5-H2 that has been utterly reliable thus far. I did note that 5.56 ammo ejected at 1-2 o'clock with the H2 and now ejects at 3ish with the H3. (Note: I do know that ejection pattern isn't the most popular metric on this board, but it's more data to share.)

Wolf 55 gr FMJ/SP/HP (Polyformance & Military Classic)
    Wolf 62 gr FMJ (Polyformance)
    I had the exact same thing with my over gassed Noveske. (16" SS Recon) A5 H3 was the fix. I think the BRT inserts might be a better fix but they weren't available yet and the A5 H3 took care of it for me.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    That's interesting, 556BR. I really never considered mine to be over gassed, but I suppose technically it is. It sure does eat everything, which isn't a bad thing. Before the A5 system, I ran a H2 with blue Springco. Never any issues. I even tested a standard H3 with blue Springco (had lock back issues with lighter loads but 5.56 ran really well).

I'll also add to my above post that spring rate is another interesting aside to buffer weight. Not all spring brands perform/behave exactly the same. While the 4 brands I tried all worked well, the seemingly weaker Vltor and JP had less perceived "red dot bounce" than the fresh BCM and Brownells. The Vltor spring is about 500-rounds-new but seems a tad softer, and the JP has a few thousand cycles on it (and measures shorter than all of them) yet they both performed perfectly. The Brownells Chrome Silicon spring seemed the snappiest which is great for stripping rounds but I noticed more forward dive of the muzzle. It's all subjective and relatively small differences, but noticeable nonetheless. Hope this helped someone. I was initially interested in getting a Springco Green, but not so sure now.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast