Thread: Malkoff MD2 vs single cell Elzetta

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Malkoff MD2 vs single cell Elzetta

I have had several Malkoff lights including a md2, but never mounted one on a AR. Is the MD2 too heavy/big for a weaponlight? I currently just have an older Wildcat.

The other light I am looking at is the single cell Elzetta. I had a 3 cell elzetta in the past but sold it long ago.

Anything out there really stand out in the 100-150 price range? Light would need to be made in USA.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel79 View Post
    Is the MD2 too heavy/big for a weaponlight?
    IMO, not too big but at around 8 ounces including a mount there are lighter WMLs available.

If you are going to keep a WML attached 24/7, something like a SF Scout light (or an Arisaka version) would be half the weight and smaller. It uses TIR optics for a more focused, farther-reaching beam compared to your MD2 (which I assume has one of the standard M61 heads).

In my case, I keep a Malkoff M61T MD2 (T = throw head with TIR optics) attached to my lightweight carbine via a Vltor QD mount when stowed in the safe. Since I usually have no need for a WML for recreational shooting, I remove it for normal use. This "mount it when you need it" arrangement works well for me because I have other HD weapons that wear WMLs 24/7.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I decided to go with the Arisaka ring mount and just use my HDS hcri clicky for now.

I'm thinking I will eventually go with the Arisaka/Malkoff 300 light with the inline m lok mount.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I decided to go with the Arisaka ring mount and just use my HDS hcri clicky for now.
    Nothing wrong with that! You could always upgrade to a "T" (throw) Malkoff head with TIR optics on the MDS and have better performance than the 300;

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.co...hot-throw-head

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.co...61t-throw-head

The M61T V2 head (350 lumens with TIR) I'm using on the MDS creates plenty of throw and no virtually barrel shadow;

Weight with Vltor mount is 8 ounces and easily/quickly removable with no tools.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm liking that high output head! Might have to go that route.

Too bad my V4 Wildcat in a MD4 body is so darn big. Now that thing can light things up!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'm liking that high output head! Might have to go that route.

Too bad my V4 Wildcat in a MD4 body is so darn big. Now that thing can light things up!
    I'm seriously considering one of these;

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.co...8650-head-only

900 lumens/29,000 Lux on a MD2 body. Add a 18650 Li-ion battery and charger to light 'em up!