Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1 mile cartridge?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Anybody remember the .270 STW(Shooting Times Westerner)? It was made by necking down the 8mm Magnum case to 7mm and came out about 25 years ago. If memory serves me, it would shoot a 160 grain bullet about 3200 fps at the muzzle. I would think that the round would shoot along side those mentioned above for 1 mile shooting.

Feedback Score
    I agree. I also bet the barrels didn't last very long.

Feedback Score
    .338 Lapua or else one of the Cheytac offerings, otherwise It's time to look at .50BMG

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaholder View Post
    .338 Lapua or else one of the Cheytac offerings, otherwise It's time to look at .50BMG
    for a mile...you got to be shitting me.

MAYBE for terminal ballistics at 1 mile you need something like that, but there are PLENTY of offerings that make it to a mile just fine without costing 5-7 bucks a pull.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I've heard all about the OP round. A co-worker has a rifle chambered in it and often tells me about his 4000 feet per second loads and 1400 yard one shot kills during deer season. We probably all have a co-worker like that. But I would be interested to know exactly what round would be ideal for 1 mile target practice while being efficient.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    I've heard all about the OP round. A co-worker has a rifle chambered in it and often tells me about his 4000 feet per second loads and 1400 yard one shot kills during deer season. We probably all have a co-worker like that. But I would be interested to know exactly what round would be ideal for 1 mile target practice while being efficient.
    If you want to practice regularly at a mile I would suggest a 338LM. This round will carry the ballistic energy to reliably hit at a mile with SOME changing wind with terminal energy. I don't own a 300WM but expect it would be close. In a consistent wind, at higher altitudes you CAN hit with a 6.5 projectile. The impact on steel will look more like a 22 than a centerfire round. The question I ask is how often do you have access to a 1 mile range and are you ready to spend ~$5 a round shooting at that distance?

Feedback Score
    to the OP, what round blows your dress up? There are many rounds that will take you to a mile. What's your goal? To hit steel, kill game, bragging?

Let us know what you are looking for and that can help eliminate a large debate. .338 are hard to beat, but there are other Wild cats put there that perform very very well. Have a budget in mind?

How much do you want to spend on ammo or brass to reload these rounds?

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    for a mile...you got to be shitting me.

MAYBE for terminal ballistics at 1 mile you need something like that, but there are PLENTY of offerings that make it to a mile just fine without costing 5-7 bucks a pull.
    A .22LR will go a mile, too.

If I gotta make a 1 mile shot, I'm not screwing with some belted .30 magnum and I'm certainly not going to concern myself with the price tag required to make that kind of distance.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    This thread needs more 375 cheytac in it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    7mm Mag will get you there, no problem. A muzzle brake will make it a much more pleasant learning curve.

My buddy Stephen has shot a re-furb/converted Dick's Sporting Goods Black Friday 7mm Mag CZ Mauser with a 10X Super Sniper scope to a mile. He's outshot a few guys with high-end rifles and expensive Euro-glass telescopes.

1760 yards can be a stretch -- have good sandbags, a good load, and a competent spotter. Steel targets aren't mandatory but make life a whole lot easier.

Re-booted Mauser on the right:

1 Mile target (fingers flashing "M" for a mile:

What size steel targets, AR500, and how thick to shoot 308 at 500 yards and beyond? I have a 16" x16" gong 1/4" thick. I don't want to destroy it with rifle fire. I have a 3/8" 12" x20" target as well. What size do I need? I will be using a 14X or 20X NF scope. Will be using 16" 5.56 and 16" and 24" 308.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast