Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1 mile cartridge?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    Most cartridges are more capable than we give them credit for, yet we shoot them out of a system that is sub-par for what we are attempting to do.
    Very well said.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Your really talking about 2 different classes of guns. If you want to shoot out to a mile on a regular basis, the 338lm would be a good choice. If you plan on shooting out to 1250 or so, a 6.5 would be the better choice. I am not sure how the new 147's are going to shoot yet, but they do fly about 300 yards further than the 140's. A mile would be considered ext long range shooting those tho. It can be done, just not efficiently.

You already mentioned your doing this on a budget, I think this would rule out the 338, they are pricey too shoot. Not to mention your going to shoot out that barrel quick if you shoot every week.

I would barrel in a 6.5...a creed or a 47. If you plan on shooting the 147, the creed may be better due to case capacity/seating depth. either is a solid 1k gun easy.

I bang steel on a weekly basis with a 6 and 6.5 out to 1400 yards. There is a new plate setup at a mile, but the 6.5 lobs bullets at it.

Feedback Score
    Have you searched put the 6.5 SAUM? It has gotten me to a mile no problem. And it has very little recoil

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shagnasty View Post
    1 mile seems like a good top-end benchmark and I'm trying to decide a caliber.

I have experience with 7mm Rem Mag, 300 RUM, 7mm-08, 300 win mag, and 300 WSSM.

I read that a lot of people consider 338 lapua the "minimum" for this distance, but it seems overkill to me.

What say you? Would a 7mm mag with a 28" barrel get me there?
    7mm Mag will get you there, no problem. A muzzle brake will make it a much more pleasant learning curve.

My buddy Stephen has shot a re-furb/converted Dick's Sporting Goods Black Friday 7mm Mag CZ Mauser with a 10X Super Sniper scope to a mile. He's outshot a few guys with high-end rifles and expensive Euro-glass telescopes.

1760 yards can be a stretch -- have good sandbags, a good load, and a competent spotter. Steel targets aren't mandatory but make life a whole lot easier.

Re-booted Mauser on the right:

1 Mile target (fingers flashing "M" for a mile:

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    G David Tubb is a wealth of information concerning shooting long distances. It may not hurt to read up on what equipment he uses to shoot out to one mile.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    G David Tubb is a wealth of information concerning shooting.
    Fixed it for you

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I love the 300WM with heavy bullets. The new ELD bullets in the 225 grain with BC in the .7 plus area would be nice.
    I think the new Accubond long range 200 or 210 is .73 are about that.

I shoot 208 amax at 3000 fps but my range only goes 1400 but ballistics take it to a mile. I like the idea of pushing the lesser gun to the longer range, just for fun. You learn a lot.

I vote 300 WM with 26 inch barrel. Good luck. And keep us posted on your build and your mile hit.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    7mm Mag will get you there, no problem. A muzzle brake will make it a much more pleasant learning curve.

My buddy Stephen has shot a re-furb/converted Dick's Sporting Goods Black Friday 7mm Mag CZ Mauser with a 10X Super Sniper scope to a mile. He's outshot a few guys with high-end rifles and expensive Euro-glass telescopes.

1780 yards can be a stretch -- have good sandbags, a good load, and a competent spotter. Steel targets aren't mandatory but make life a whole lot easier.

Re-booted Mauser on the right:

1 Mile target (fingers flashing "M" for a mile:

Dem boys look like brothers !
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Dem boys look like brothers !
    Triplets!

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I have shot my AIAT with the 6.5 Creedmoor barrel using factory 140g ammo past a mile. I hit the 18x30" plate 2 out of 5 shots. A couple of months after I bought a AI AWSM in 338LM. I have been there done that.

Of the calibers you have identified I would go with the 300WM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast