Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: In a Semi-Auto Rifle, 6mm or 6.5mm Creedmoor?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

wrong post

stay tuned

There will be another sweet 6mm Creedmoor option from another large manufacturer in about 12 days.

Does it matter when Lapua is releasing their brass this month ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gamewarden View Post
    Sorry, ammunition. Yup, Ruger dropped the .243 in favor of the 6mm Creedmoor.
    Cool! If it is Winchester or Federal American Eagle, then I'll probably be happy. Both of their offerings in 6.5 Creedmoor have worked great in my rifles, and i can find both cheaper than Hornady.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson1911 View Post
    stay tuned

There will be another sweet 6mm Creedmoor option from another large manufacturer in about 12 days.

Does it matter when Lapua is releasing their brass this month ?
    Not unless you want the correct caliber head stamp.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I would say it definitely matters if you don't reload...correct? Or if you already have a ton of large primers sice the Lapua offering will be small primers.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Colt Armorer Course, 2004
    Remington Factory LE Armorer School (870, 1187, and 700), 2008, 2013
    Remington 870 LE Armorer course, 2017
    Specialized Armament M16 / M4 / AR-15® Advanced Armorer Course, 2012, 2016
    Glock Armorer Course, 2012, 2016
    S&W M&P 15 Armorer Course, 2013, 2019

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    HI will vote for the 6.5, here's why: wind. I have a GA Precision GAP-10 in 6.5, so I speak from having spent some time on the platform. I was out shooting the other day and it was very windy. 20mph or so. I was shooting in those conditions to practice wind calls, and improve my wind call skills. In this day and age of scope technology, dialing up for distance is so easy, a rifle that takes 8 mils or 12 mils to get to 1k doesn't really matter. Scopes are so good that the pure distance becomes pedestrian. Wind is the constant variable. I can tell you that even within the 6.5 caliber, the heavier 140 ELD's are easier to wind call than the 120 AMax's. I was holding 8.5 mils for range, and 4 mils for wind at 1k with the 120's. I was still only about 50% hits at 1K yds. The 120's were just getting pushed around too much. I switched to the 140 ELD's, and they are 8 mils elevation, and if I remember correctly, 2-2.5 mils for wind hold. The 140's were just far easier, and more predictable. If you're going to really stretch it out, and why have a 6.5 CM and not stretch it, the heavies make it much easier.

I have no time behind a 6CM, but I have to think the lighter 105's would be tougher to predict in the wind. If the 120's were getting tossed around, I can imagine the lighter 105 ish bullets would give me fits.

I am NO wind expert. That's why I practice in it, but heavier bullets are easier for me to get better results with.

Just one guys opinion.
    Last edited by Vegasshooter; 01-06-17 at 12:36.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegasshooter View Post
    HI will vote for the 6.5, here's why: wind. I have a GA Precision GAP-10 in 6.5, so I speak from having spent some time on the platform. I was out shooting the other day and it was very windy. 20mph or so. I was shooting in those conditions to practice wind calls, and improve my wind call skills. In this day and age of scope technology, dialing up for distance is so easy, a rifle that takes 8 mils or 12 mils to get to 1k doesn't really matter. Scopes are so good that the pure distance becomes pedestrian. Wind is the constant variable. I can tell you that even within the 6.5 caliber, the heavier 140 ELD's are easier to wind call than the 120 AMax's. I was holding 8.5 mils for range, and 4 mils for wind at 1k with the 120's. I was still only about 50% hits at 1K yds. The 120's were just getting pushed around too much. I switched to the 140 ELD's, and they are 8 mils elevation, and if I remember correctly, 2-2.5 mils for wind hold. The 140's were just far easier, and more predictable. If you're going to really stretch it out, and why have a 6.5 CM and not stretch it, the heavies make it much easier.

I have no time behind a 6CM, but I have to think the lighter 105's would be tougher to predict in the wind. If the 120's were getting tossed around, I can imagine the lighter 105 ish bullets would give me fits.

I am NO wind expert. That's why I practice in it, but heavier bullets are easier for me to get better results with.

Just one guys opinion.
    I've found it to be negligible.

I can fling 6mm 105's out of my GAP10 at 3075 fps. So at 1000 yards I need 1.8 mils of windage for a 10 mph wind. The 6.5mm 140's I need 2 mils, about the same as you. I haven't played around with the 120's enough to know what they will do.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Ok. That's awesome to know. I absolutely admit, I'm still learning. Long range isn't my specialty....yet. I love it, but I've always been a pistol/carbine shooter. My realm has been 50yds and in . Still learning the distance game. I jumped in with both feet though. My first precision build being my GAP with a S&B 5-25 PMII. My theory is that no one gets really good using bad gear. That's just frustrating and counter productive.

Thank you for your info. I always keep an open mind and want to learn. That's why I preface everything with "this is just my experience."

Feedback Score
    My $0.02, and worth what you paid for it. My experience has been that the more "overbore" the cartridge is, the longer barrel you need to maximize the potential of said cartridge.

That being said, the AR10 platform gets heavy and unhandy really quick. A 20" tube would be about the longest I would consider, even for a dedicated long range rifle. I'm pretty sure that the higher BC projectiles of the 6.5 are going to outperform the 6mm given those constraints. If you throw a 24" barrel on it the, 6mm will probably gain ground again due to the velocity boost it gets.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Spin Drift,

What type of shooting are you planning on? I shoot 6 and 6.5 in bolt and ar, loading 4 different cartridges. There is also a benefit in left twist my next left twist will include a gain twist. They all shoot sub moa, several sub 1/2moa. There is lots of fun to be had when your equipment works.

My MWS shoots both cartridges, the 6 Creedmoor is more accurate but that has more to do with the barrels. Once I shoot out my LMT 6.5 barrel and replace it with another matching barrel to my 6 Creedmoor I will know more. The shooter is the defining point.
    Last edited by majohnson; 01-08-17 at 18:30.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123