Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ready to run - How to get back into it?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Ready to run - How to get back into it?

The weather is finally nice and cool (in the 60s in the AM) and I'm finally healthy enough to do it. I even got some super cool lime green Saucony shoes that I want to get some miles on.

How do you "Get back" into running? What are techniques/strategies one can use to avoid injuries and provide meaningful data with which to improve? Lifting weights is easy. I put on 45lbs today. Next week I put on 50lbs. That's improvement. Do you just run 3 miles every day until your time goes down? Etc.

As far as my current fitness level goes, I would guess that given enough motivation I could run a 5k in about 26 minutes.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Ready to run - How to get back into it?

I was a 2x all-American distance runner in college, and consistently ran 65-75 miles a week. After college I had an injury that stopped me from running for a while. Had surgery and fixed the problem, for the most part, but had trouble finding time and motivation once I started a career. I'm 36 now and I'm just starting to feel like a runner again. My secret: Last summer I got a 1 year old Aussie Shepherd for a running partner. That's her job. To run every morning with me. Best training partner I've ever had. She's always ready to go when I wake up at 4am. Never an excuse. She hears my alarm go off and if I stay in bed too long, she'll whine. She also keeps me motivated because as a high energy working dog, if she doesn't get out for a run with me, things in my house get destroyed. So long story short, consistency is key. A training partner to help keep me accountable is what I needed to stay consistent. That's my number one advice to you: consistency. Start running short runs (15-20minutes) everyday and take only one day off per week for 3-6 months. After that, start adding workouts (hills, intervals, tempo runs etc) and longer distances. I also totally recommended getting a running dog. Looks like she didn't go for a run that day:
    Last edited by Cold/Bore; 11-20-16 at 18:48.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Relevant to my interests. Gotta get my cardio up now. Not being able to do much has left me feeling like crap.

At one point I was really, really swole up, but didn't really have much extra strength. I want to keep my upper body but get way more lean and more distance/stamina. I have over-relied on sheer size and strength too much and am getting older. Also more flexibility.

I wanna have a body less like Jason from Part 7 and get some wiriness back.
    Really, I just want to have more stamina first and foremost.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Tagged for interest. I despise cardio but I've got to get my 1.5mile time down to 1030 for work.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Depending on your current conditioning, you could try the couch to 5k thing or something similar. It increases your distance and speed gradually over time. It's been several years since I did it, but it helped me when I wanted to get back into running. These days, I despise running. It kills my joints. I'd much rather bike, hike, or swim. I mostly just lift though. #Whatiscardio?

Feedback Score
    There are a couple prepared running plans such as "couch to 5k," or "couch to 10k." They plan out your days of exercise and how much/distance for several weeks. By that point, you will have a good base established from which to build.

Feedback Score
    I would also urge you to get a running watch with heart monitor. I have used Garmin Forerunner 610 for the past several years. With the GPS feature, you can track your pace, which is like a speedometer. With the heart monitor, your track your heart rate, which is like a tachometer.

If you have low MPH but high RPMs, there may be a problem. You might be pushing too hard to fast. You might not be recovering sufficiently between runs. All sorts of stuff you can consider once you get some baselines established.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have run for decades; mainly for fitness in relation to other sports like BJJ, basketball, etc. Just getting to the point where I don't intensely dislike it. Viewed as an evil necessity to further my goals in other areas. If you are going from sedentary(basically), then I suggest you walk for a bit first. Give yourself enough time to evaluate and see how your diff. body parts are reacting. Worst thing you can do is injure yourself in the beginning. After doing a systems check for a couple of days, then move up or push back when you begin to run.

Feedback Score
    almost every runner sustains an injury each and every year.

have you ever considered doing other types of conditioning work to provide the desired fitness, while running as a skill exercise?

If you can get a concept 2 rower, or a kettlebell you can get the same level of fitness as running. heck, you can do burpees or bodyweight exercises to provide "cardio".

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    It's a myth that one needs to run to be fit. It is certainly one way, but not the only way. Calorie for calorie FIIT fills the gap, especially with days of running, but biking, rucking, rowing, swimming. Rucking purportedly burns the same calories in the same time, strengthens the legs better/more, and is all-around better. I have a ruck with a 33# plate and a 10# plate and it leaves me more exhausted than running.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast