Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone make a Slug that is better than Buck for HD?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4Fundi View Post
    We don't need to get into how great 8-9 pellets are over a single entry wound. I have had to carry 2 different model shotguns into harms way and know a wee bit about them.

I am having to train up on a shotgun again for harms way and not just hunting or 3-Gun which is how I usually deploy a shotgun these days. Is there a slug that performs with the terminal effect & urban safety that tactical 556 rounds do... a slug that will "penetrate and expand in tissue" and "not zoom thru multiple buildings"???

I never seem to read anything about shotgun slugs as for anything other than for hard targets or 75+ yd shots.

If I wanted a slug for HD does anyone make one that is good to go?
    I like winchester power point foster slugs. They expand and fragment violently. For a wee more penetration while still expanding, the Remington sluggers are good. For out and out penetration brenneke classic magnum. ,

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks All!
    My 870P hates Fed LE Slugs... group wider than Buck ;-o
    I will check out the Winchester and the Tango stuff. I am hoping to find a reasonably common or easily found brand, but if something is super great don't mind stocking up.
    "First gett'n shot, then gett'n married... baaaad habits"

"If you're gonna subscribe to hero worship, at least worship a real hero."
    M4Guru

Gal 2:20

Feedback Score
    Fiocchi and Herters (Cabella brand, but made in Italy) can be found at good prices (.50-.60 per rnd) and they function just fine from my guns.

These are the harder, Brenneke style slugs. There are standard and low recoil versions available. I've shot a bunch of them.
    Last edited by Ron3; 01-05-17 at 07:01.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Try Remington 12g 2.75" 7/8 ounce slugs. Between my father and I we have shot 150 Whitetails ranging from 50 to 260lbs. These slugs turn into hollow centerd donuts and expand to almost 2" in diameter. Also they frequently frag into three large lead chucks. They are an absolute death ray.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I was going to say federal LE low recoil slugs but I saw your post about it not patterning. Winchester has a low recoil LE slug that has a gray hull that I've shot a couple hundred rounds of without any problems. I haven't done a penetration test though.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I was checking out these bad boys.

http://www.ddupleks-usa.com/

Looks like they're about $11-13 per 5.
    Last edited by TomMcC; 04-27-17 at 15:54.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have no experience with these, so I am not sure how they work. But interesting idea

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2016/01/14...menting-slugs/

Feedback Score

Does anyone make a Slug that is better than Buck for HD?

I have tried the Winchester PDX1 12 Defender slugs and they work fine. I tested the in my pump and semi-auto shotgun. Bought a few boxes of slugs but I load LE132 15 pellet #1 buckshot in my 12 gauge pump shotgun.
    Last edited by Tony617; 05-03-17 at 01:16.

Feedback Score
    For out 15 yds Herters Italian - made "double defense" isn't a bad choice. It's two .65 balls of about 385 grs each. I've fired several boxes of them.

At 10 yds both balls shoot into a 4 inch circle. 15 yds about 6 in. They do kick harder. Probably going to overpenetrate so be aware of your backstop.

It's a LOT of damage for one trigger pull.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    These
    https://www.remington.com/ammunition...velocity-slugs
    Are absolute death rays. Look no further.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast