Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First AR--what all do I need?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boltgun View Post
    consider a rail and VFG setup also. +1 on the classes...you will get to know what you do/don't like and what works/doesn't work for you.

Boltgun
    The N4 low profile comes with a rail

Feedback Score
    Thank you for your service to your country and all of us in the USA.

Blue Force Gear VCAS Sling (padded)
    Quality teflon coated USGI mags w/added Magpul Ranger 'plates like these http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-...f%2010pack.htm
    Aimpoint M3 in LaRue Tactical mount. Compatible w/NVD.
    Surefire 6P w/Malkoff M60 LED drop in, in a Larue LT-606 mount.
    Trigger - Optional. Timney is a 4lb drop in for AR rifles.
    Training - I'm assuming you will receive training from the Army. No need to spend your own money on this.
    Here's ammo - http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_s...mmunition.html

Good luck and Godspeed.
    NRA Patron Member | 1911's | AR's | GAP Crusader

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    grimklott,

I would stick with the standard trigger just like the one that your issue weapon will have. For deployment get some personal PMAGS and good mags for your sidearm (if issued). I wouldn't worry too much about the HSLD gear and would really focus on some good trigger time. Though you may not think that you will be on the "front lines" the shit is getting hotter there and you need to be as prepared as possible in the event that you get into the shit unexpectedly.

Get some good instruction on maintenance (what works as opposed to what doesn't) and seek out the advice of those who have actually been to A'stan and outside the wire as opposed to a Bagram FOBbit.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Thnx everyone.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I built a clone of my work M4A1s for training continuity when not able to access a work gun. I wanted it to be as close as possible to the issued item to ensure "plug and play" compatability. I made one mistake though- I had a PWS FSC556 permanently attached to bring the barrel length to 16"- the problem is that it is so effective as a comp I can get lazy behind the gun and not run it quite like I do with an A2 comp equipped M4.

Anyway, I put on a Knight's RAS like the issued item. That's pretty-much irrelevant to you since you are getting a quality rail system with the gun.

If you know what optic you will be issued, you will benefit from picking one up immediately to begin your personal quest toward excellence. It is also worth it to pick up an identical BUIS to whatever you are issued.

Get a good 2-point sling. My vote is for the Blue Force Gear VCAS. The VTAC is also nice, and there are other many other good options, however I personally prefer the VCAS over them all.

I also highly recommend getting a rail-mounted sling attachment of some flavor for the M4. I personally prefer low-profile types like the CQD forward sling mount. The placement of the QD on the Noveske is good, and if you want to keep QD caipability you can easily go with the Daniel Defense QD rail mounted sling mount for the issued gun in the same place.

Along with the front sling mount a rear attachment point at the rear of the receiver is way better than attaching it to the buttstock. Since replacing the end-plate is generally verboten the PR-4 is an excellent clamp-on adaptor that you can readily remove in case of idiocy that does not alter the base configuration of the weapon.

You need a light. Easiest answer is the VLTOR offset light mount with a SureFire G2. The VLTOR absolutely reeks of quality and the G2 is a proven, tough light that is easily replacable (everyone should deploy with at least 2 of these IMHO).

Don't forget about other pieces that might be on your work gun (such as PEQ-2s or 15s) and account for them when planning your lay-out on your personal gun. It makes little sense to train with your light in a position that will conflict with your laser, only to realize it too late. FWIW- though my adaptation of and around the system I have found that having the laser module mounted a 3 oclock and the light at 1030ish works the best for me. If you are using a VFG and a full-hand grip (chicken-choker) you may find that 12 oclock for the laser and 5 oclock for the light will work best. Make your crap work for you, don't let a first-impression mounting position dictate your use unless constrained for some reason.

Get some good lubricant for your gun. Carry a small bottle on your gear with a larger reservoir in your third-line. I am a recent convert to Weapons Shield- it's good stuff. Avoid grease for operational use unless you spread it very thin and follow with liquid lube; then again, for the effort, you could just apply a decent liquid and be done with it.

Quality training is worth it, and price is relative. Cost is a mindset issue. Every dollar you spend with a quality instructor (Vickers, Rogers (both), Awerbuck and Gonzales spring to mind) will directly transfer to increased skill and knowledge. It's your life, take accountability for your training. I have been in several open-enrollment courses that included active-duty guys that get some of the best training within the military. If they are attending these courses on their own dime you can bet the instruction is worth it (once agin I am speaking about top-level courses, not "Uncle Ned's Advanced Bump-Firing Course"). Do not waste your money on a course that does not have an AAR from a knowledgable shooter. A low-light course should be at the top of your list. Dean Caputo's operator class is awesome for learning how to keep a good gun running, easily giving you 5 years of direct experience in 2 days.

And of course magazines and more magazines.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Certainly I agree with everything said above, I think it's important to emphasize a lot of practice with iron sights. So much so you may not want to mount your optic till after you're really used to shooting with irons. You may or may not get the optic of your choice upon deployment, but you will get irons. Irons are also the sight that has the lowest probability of failure, and when you're out in afg for weeks at a time that's of real value. That's going to be one heck of a first AR btw.

Feedback Score
    grimloktt,
    some of the gear you buy can be mounted on your issue weapon, i.e., slings, lights, grips... So if your unit will not buy it for you, just get it yourself and it's yours to keep when you redeploy.

Many of us over in the sandbox are carrying PMAGS that we purchased out of pocket. Some units are now starting to buy them for their troops, so check with supply or your commander. GWOT funds help with the decision, it really doesn't cost the unit anything. Again, if you buy your own, than they stay with you for your personal weapon.

Take advantage of the small arms ranges on the base and shoot as much as you can when you get an opportunity outside the wire. I try to make sure my troops shoot every time we go outside the wire, which is every damn day.

Good luck in Afghanistan and good hunting.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I just wish to echo the other posters wishes for a safe tour, and a speedy return home. Thank you for your service.

And a big plus one on the PMags and Blue Force Gear.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12