Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: "Hunting" Handguns

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Cylinder throat is ideally the same size as LEAD bullet MK.
    The idea of a .431" throat when shooting .431" lead bullets (obviously) is- you're not swagging bullets down as they pass through throats, that then have to "bump up"/obturate to seal the bore.
    Lead bullets which are undersize for bore (due to the throats swaging them), will experience "blow by"/gas cutting- on the base of bullet when entering the barrel.
    This contributes to crap accuracy and usually moderate to severe leading.

First, if you're set on a custom reamer- contact Dave Manson direct and run it by him.
    He's a shooter and is always willing to work with you. I have no idea what the upcharge for a custom reamer might be.
    You will want the "pilot pack" with the reamer.
    The existing throats/chambers on your gun will likely NOT be same sized.
    The pilots allow a fit for each chamber/throat, for optimal precision on the cut.
    If you use a pilot that is undersize for the throat/cylinder- you will have the cutter want to wobble and not cut "square and plumb". Your accuracy will not be as good as with the correct size pilot.

I have shot 240 gr. XTP's through my MG's (3) that I reamed throats with Manson's .431" reamer.
    They shot much better than the stock throats (1.25" to <2" @ 25 yds.) with less pressure.

That said, I might use the XTP's for Whitetail, but not for hogs.
    I used 300 gr. XTP's on a 450# hog once and they did not expand, but acted like FMJ bullets. This caused a minor problem, in that- the hog didn't stop (he was headed my direction) and I shot the gun dry with him finally dead, at spitting distance with a head shot.
    FWIW, these were fired from a custom Bisley and chrono'd 1275 FPS- well within the velocity design window for expansion.
    Hornady makes two different 300 gr. bullets for .45 Colt; one with expansion between 900 and 1300 FPS- for +P Colt and one for .454 Cassull velocities.
    I had the correct bullet.
    This may well have been a fluke, an isolated incident- but "once burned, twice learned".

Gold Dots didn't exist when I started on my "hunting handgun" journey.
    I would most definitely try them today however. They have shot lights out in several AR's, P-35's and 1911's.
    I would see what is available in a .44 component bullet from Speer if you plan on using a jacketed bullet.
    My hunch is; the Gold Dot bullet might be a better performer on game than the XTP.

I've set up all of my MG's; .41, .44 and ,45 Colt to shoot cast lead.
    I favor a gas check bullet as I get ZERO leading with them.
    A gas check Keith type, or WFNGC, that is long for caliber has been satisfactorily accurate- and shoots through a large hog- leaving a good blood trail if the game isn't immediately anchored.

Your shooting/hunting scenarios will dictate what bullet you use.
    Don't underestimate a good, cast lead bullet for hunting however.

Montana Bullet Works produces a great 255 gr., true Keith type SWC with a gas check. These shoot really well in all my .44 mag guns.
    https://www.montanabulletworks.com/p...thentic-keith/

Beartooth Bullets also produces superior cast bullets. You can spec bullet diameter with them as well.
    http://beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm

I'm with you on the 29-2, I would not screw with it.
    It probably deserves to be treasured, or at least treated special.

Regarding the shims you mentioned-
    The only way shims will positively impact the double action trigger pull is if the hammer, or trigger are excessively loose in the frame.
    The shims go over the pins/studs which hold the trigger/hammer and are secured to the inside of frame.
    These shims will tighten the trigger/hammer in the frame so you have some chance of trigger and hammer being square and plumb to each other when firing.
    I have experienced maybe two S&W's (of varying timeframe/age) in maybe 30 trigger jobs- where the shims were needed, BEFORE the stoning of the hammer/trigger was begun.
    One was a fairly recent manufacture 4" 629-?. It was a MIM/lock gun.

Best of luck on your journey. You'll learn a great deal.
    On the back end- when you have it ALL sorted out and the gun shooting to your expectations, game has been taken, it will have been well worth the effort.

Feedback Score
    Well... Couldn't find a nice pre-lock that I liked locally and did not want to order one off GB that I couldn't check out first.

Couldn't decide between 4" or 5" so I split the difference. Hopefully this does the trick. Just brought her home. Can't wait to go dial it in.

U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Det-Sog View Post
    Well... Couldn't find a nice pre-lock that I liked locally and did not want to order one off GB that I couldn't check out first.

Couldn't decide between 4" or 5" so I split the difference. Hopefully this does the trick. Just brought her home. Can't wait to go dial it in.

44 magnum? Love the unfluted cylinder.

Feedback Score

&quot;Hunting&quot; Handguns

Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    44 magnum? Love the unfluted cylinder.
    Yes. .44 Mag. A S&W Performance Center 629 V-Comp.. Looks and feels like a work of art. (Edited... Except for the grips. They fit my hand well, but feel cheap.) I'd like to put a nice set of wood grips on her.

The action is amazing on this thing. I know there has been some QC issues with the modern Smiths, but this one locks up well and seems to be well done. I've been looking it over all afternoon. Ill do a range report in a few days when I can take her out. It's not perfect, but the workmanship seems to be on par or better than the Smiths that I had in the 80's.

Can't wait to take this out in the country. Now, to get back into reloading. That's another thread though. Factory .44 Magnum as you all know is pricey.

Thank you all for the great information in this thread.
    Last edited by Det-Sog; 06-24-17 at 00:52.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Nice revolver.

The PC guns have a generally GOOD reputation for reliability/accuracy and trigger (action).
    Let us know how it shoots.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Feedback Score
    New grips on.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Looks good.

Ahrends?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Looks good.

Ahrends?
    Yes Sir. Thanks. They fit like a glove.

Feedback Score
    I have been working on my loads for the 460 and 500. At 350 grains, the recoil is not bad at all, and it will take down any medium sized animal. I'd have to go bigger for larger animals and dangerous game.

I plan to use my 460 for deer with a 200 grain bullet which is quite a flat shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast