Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Hunting" Handguns

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)

"Hunting" Handguns

For my purposes, deer and hog hunting, nothing has worked as well as a FO sighted, 4" N frame- chambered in .4X, in the Mountain Gun (skinny barrel) format.
    I have done (double action) trigger work on these.
    The chamber throats have been reamed on the .44 and .45's to shoot cast bullets- they were too tight from the factory. The .41 mag was spot on however.
    All have modified Herrets "Shooting Master" or "Trooper" stocks.
    All are "Pre-Lock" guns.

Pair of 629-4's:

657-4:

Last edited by gaijin; 11-22-16 at 04:54.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Very cool, I want to soon get into deer hunting with a handgun.

So far I have settled for shooting groundhogs with my 3" barrel sp101, sights have really been a limiting factor.

I have been thinking of purchasing a 6" barreled Gp100 to start and possible move up to 45 colt/44 magnum soon after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Good shooting.
    You obviously know where the revolver shoots- even with the fixed sights.

Feedback Score
    I've been a dedicated handgun hunter for quite a few years. I can't remember when I took my rifle on a hunt. I've taken several deer here in PA with my scoped Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 Magnum. I got back into T/C Contenders a couple of years ago and took doe with a 14" T/C in 7-30 Waters. I managed to take a small PA black bear with a iron sighted 7.5" Super Blackhawk. I also have a 14" T/C in .44 Magnum that I will probably use for deer next week.

14" T/C Contender and 7.5" Ruger Super Blackhawk, both in .44 Magnum

14" T/C Contender in 7-30 Waters.

9.5" Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 Magnum.

Feedback Score
    Very nice collection, sir! My dream wheel gun is that 657 .41 mag. Maybe soon I can find one in good shape and not have to sell a vehicle to buy one...
    Obey Acts 2:38

Feedback Score
    I owned the 45 Colt Mountain Gun pre lock and used it to take my first buck with a handgun. In a moment of weakness I sold it, one of the few I regret selling.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Here's a hog in typical cover/terrain; the cedar thickets/brush provide challenging shooting, any shot is in dim light or shadows (hence choice of FO FS) and threaded through some small opening, or "window" in the cover. Most generally, any shot is extremely fast.
    The 4", "skinny barrel" N Frame (Mountain Gun) in .41, .44 mag and .45 Colt are ideal in this type terrain/scenario. It is light and quick.
    I've found a 250+- gr., Keith type, or WFNGC at 1100 fps+- will put a hog down as fast as a .308, WITH PROPER SHOT PLACEMENT.

The .41 mag, with a 250 gr./"heavy for caliber" bullet is a penetration monster.

(My fingers are on/in the entry holes of the two rds. fired to bring this little guy down, my bud has the camera angle jacked up)

657/.41 mag MG:

Head shot at 20 yds at dusk (again, the FO FS was a game saver- no way I'd been able to find a blade/ramp or Gold bead Front Sight with near dark condition)

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    This is my hunting handgun. It is a 629 .44 Magnum. I have taken a hog with it and am currently trying it for deer. I want to replace the grips with wood. Gaijin, which of the Herrets do like better for hunting? I am really enjoying handgun hunting and plan to do it much more.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    The Herrett grips are custom made with a tracing of your hand.
    I would urge you to bite the bullet and pay the upcharge for their premium Walnut. It is worth the additional cost.
    (I certainly have no affiliation with Herrett's.)

Their "Trooper's" are named for Bill Jordon, a famous Border Patrol agent.
    Mr. Jordon was a big guy and had LARGE hands; the Trooper grips were designed with his input- for him.
    The troopers have an exaggerated "palm swell".
    I use Troopers, but always have to remove material from the grips so I can shoot the revolver double action- without having to shift my grip. Even with a tracing of my (medium) hand.
    You can get a sense of what I'm describing by looking at my first photo; the Trooper is the last revolver on the right.
    The other three revolvers have "Shooting Master's".

Their "Shooting Master" stocks are thinner in all dimensions.
    I still remove material from them as well, until they "feel" right- again for ease of double action shooting.
    While I've never used double action in while hunting, it is comforting to have that ability if needed.

Both the Troopers and Shooting Masters have a covered backstrap design.
    I find this more comfortable when shooting light, hard recoiling handguns.

I have used the supplied Hogue grips (in your photo) and have removed the finger grooves from them.
    They looked like hell when I finished, but the finger grooves were never located properly for my grip.

I will confess to being crazy anal about my equipment. I tend to fuss with it until it's aa close to perfection as possible- for me.

http://www.herrettstocks.com/album.htm
    Last edited by gaijin; 11-26-16 at 05:22.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley in 44 magnum. The grip shape helps with heavy recoil? I must since I just converted a new model Blackhawk convertible 357/9mm to a Bisley frame.
    Last edited by mpmax; 07-29-17 at 00:01.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast