I'm signed up for the Waco Tactical Fitness biathlon this coming April. It'll be my first event/competition and I'm REALLY stoked about it.

Being my first time out, I don't have chest rigs and belts and MOLLE gear just laying around the house. I have a few little things, including a good VTAC sling, but I need a solution to carrying 4 loaded rifle magazines, 3-4 loaded pistol magazines, the pistol, stopwatch, hydration, etc. that'll be the most effective for completing a 5 mile run and gun.

Emphasis on the running part. I'm definitely a better runner than I am a shooter. I'll practice shooting more between now and then but I run regularly regardless.

I have a minimalist hydration backpack I've used for a recent 30k trail race. So my initial thought was to get an HSGI sure grip to carry the magazines/pistol and the hydration pack for water and any misc. odds and ends. That way the meat of the weight is carried on my hips and the pack can be kept 100% separate with no straps overlapping.

Alternatively, I could use a chest rig to carry all of it (including the pistol) and wear the hydration pack over the rig. I don't think I want to wear a chest rig and a pistol belt. I can only imagine any belt less supportive/cushioned than a battle belt will be very uncomfortable once cinched tight enough to keep a pistol from flopping around while running.

Any input, including "All wrong! Start over!" is super appreciated. Thanks!