Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Vortex's new Holographic Sight Razor AMG UH-1

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VortexSam View Post
    We are using argon, not nitrogen. Our reticle is not at all dependent on the Argon.
    This is good to hear. My Eotech failed for this reason.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Any option for an added "hood" for further protection of the optics?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacktoy View Post
    Any option for an added "hood" for further protection of the optics?
    In the EOTech they have a mirror that is mounted to the top/inside of the sight housing. Also, I believe that the actual sight housing (not the shroud) is plastic. In addition, I believe that on the EOTech the rear window is actually the hologram. So, they need a protective shroud around the sight housing to keep the precisely aligned optics from getting bumped and causing something to get knocked out of alignment.

With the UH-1 we have absolutely no optics/mirrors/holograms/etc. mounted to the top portion of the sight housing. Further, neither the front or rear window is the hologram. The hologram is actually contained in the base of the unit. You could completely remove the sight windows and the sight would continue to function (although it would no longer be waterproof). Because of the design, there is no need for an additional shroud around the sight. Actually, the top portion of the housing is the protective shroud.

The advantage to this is that your sight picture is much less obstructed, while at the same time allowing the sight to have a slimmer profile.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    In the EOTech they have a mirror that is mounted to the top/inside of the sight housing. Also, I believe that the actual sight housing (not the shroud) is plastic. In addition, I believe that on the EOTech the rear window is actually the hologram. So, they need a protective shroud around the sight housing to keep the precisely aligned optics from getting bumped and causing something to get knocked out of alignment.

With the UH-1 we have absolutely no optics/mirrors/holograms/etc. mounted to the top portion of the sight housing. Further, neither the front or rear window is the hologram. The hologram is actually contained in the base of the unit. You could completely remove the sight windows and the sight would continue to function (although it would no longer be waterproof). Because of the design, there is no need for an additional shroud around the sight. Actually, the top portion of the housing is the protective shroud.

The advantage to this is that your sight picture is much less obstructed, while at the same time allowing the sight to have a slimmer profile.
    Some great information here. It sounds like you guys really did your homework and came up with a much more rigid out of the box design. I'm still looking forward to seeing a stress and durability test in near future. I have tons of Vortex dealers near me so I should be able to get to check it out soon after release.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Vortex's new Holographic Sight Razor AMG UH-1

Saw a side picture, looks like a giant box. Made me think of some thermal sight prototype from the early 2000s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 12-14-16 at 20:39.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    Disappointing. I don' think I'll be picking one of these up for the following (in order of importance):
    1. Weight is 11.8oz. Thats 3/4lb, or for perspective...It weighs MORE than an Aimpoint Pro and as much as 3 MRO's.
    2. Only available in lower 1/3rd cowitness. I prefer absolute, but regardless its so tall an absolute would be nice.
    3. Size, its the longest and bulkiest of all red dots (excluding those with 30mm tubes).
    4. Still no update on battery life
    1. Right or wrong it is different technology .... holo vs red dot. Weight will be the downside for holo's benefits.
    2. Absolute is useless, this is irrelevant when comparing optics
    3. See #1
    4. It's different than a red dot so the battery life will not be like a red dot

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    Disappointing. I don' think I'll be picking one of these up for the following (in order of importance):
    1. Weight is 11.8oz. Thats 3/4lb, or for perspective...It weighs MORE than an Aimpoint Pro and as much as 3 MRO's.
    2. Only available in lower 1/3rd cowitness. I prefer absolute, but regardless its so tall an absolute would be nice.
    3. Size, its the longest and bulkiest of all red dots (excluding those with 30mm tubes).
    4. Still no update on battery life
    1. Same weight as an EOTech.
    2. You are in the minority here (by far). The higher your head is up on the weapon, the better your visibility.
    3. Length has zero bearing on anything.
    4. Honestly, as long as it is above 500 hours (which it will be), we will be good.

C4

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    It would be cool if we could get a version with limited laser engraving or engraving done before coating to subdue the engravings. I see there is Vortex on everyside of the optic sort of makes it look like a billboard lol. But regardless I'll buy it!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    Earlier in the thread it was stated that it's lower 1/3 height so I would think the magnifiers would work.
    Makes me wonder if there will be enough room on the upper for the magnifier. Just saw the product photo of it on the rifle, pretty big.

Maybe without a BUIS
    Last edited by patriot_man; 12-15-16 at 07:35.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by patriot_man View Post
    Makes me wonder if there will be enough room on the upper for the magnifier. Just saw the product photo of it on the rifle, pretty big.

Maybe without a BUIS
    It doesn't take up any more rail space than an EXPS3. In fact, when I hold an EXPS3 up next to the UH-1 they are basically the same size. The only thing that I think makes it seem larger is the fact that the top portion of the sight, where the windows are, is the full length of the base, where the EOTech has a shorter window section that doesn't extend the full length of the base.

The UH-1 is actually narrower than the EOTech because the top portion of the housing is the protective shroud and it doesn't need the additional shroud around it.

I really think people need to wait until more pictures are released, or see it in person.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    It doesn't take up any more rail space than an EXPS3. In fact, when I hold an EXPS3 up next to the UH-1 they are basically the same size. The only thing that I think makes it seem larger is the fact that the top portion of the sight, where the windows are, is the full length of the base, where the EOTech has a shorter window section that doesn't extend the full length of the base.

The UH-1 is actually narrower than the EOTech because the top portion of the housing is the protective shroud and it doesn't need the additional shroud around it.

I really think people need to wait until more pictures are released, or see it in person.
    Yeah the slimmer profile is obvious in the picture from the top. That's a definite plus, the EOTech does hang over the rail pretty significantly.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast