Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Vortex's new Holographic Sight Razor AMG UH-1

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by caporider View Post
    LOL - yep. Larger sight window = quicker to find the reticle and easier to keep the reticle in view, especially if you have to - you know - shoot over, around, or under stuff. Or maybe shoot while you're moving...
    Explain how more area makes finding the reticle easier? Just being a dick on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Damage View Post
    Kit up with a lid and tell me again how you would not like to have a larger window.
    There will always be compromises with all kit. Try a better helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    No. Ever shoot with an Aimpoint Micro in "urban prone" under a car (or some other super weird position)? I have and there were times when it was a real struggle to find the dot.

C4
    Again, there are no perfect solutions and compromises must be made. There are just some things you can't do with all gear. Urban prone with a double stacked chest rig doesn't work well either. Does that mean chest rigs are crap?

MM

ETA: Is there such an issue with current reddot optics that servicemen/LEO's are dying by the boat load? Pretty sure the Aimpoint has been in service for several years.
    Last edited by Mysteryman; 01-25-17 at 19:10.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    Explain how more area makes finding the reticle easier? Just being a dick on this.

There will always be compromises with all kit. Try a better helmet.

Again, there are no perfect solutions and compromises must be made. There are just some things you can't do with all gear. Urban prone with a double stacked chest rig doesn't work well either. Does that mean chest rigs are crap?

MM

ETA: Is there such an issue with current reddot optics that servicemen/LEO's are dying by the boat load? Pretty sure the Aimpoint has been in service for several years.

1) eye placement dictates if you are going to see it or not. The larger the window the wider the angle in which it can be seen.

2) Some of us had our helmets issued, anyone that has spent time in a lid with kit attached would tell you it would not make a difference if the helmet "was better" with a small window.

3) if the issue can be solved by changing the optic that is a compromise too. Yes, most chest rigs are crap... so...

in modern times when have service members died by the boatloads due to ANY optic? SU-231/PEQ and SU-231A/PEQ were the first to be widely issued and were in use for almost a decade before the notice was sent out.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Damage View Post
    1) eye placement dictates if you are going to see it or not. The larger the window the wider the angle in which it can be seen.

2) Some of us had our helmets issued, anyone that has spent time in a lid with kit attached would tell you it would not make a difference if the helmet "was better" with a small window.

3) if the issue can be solved by changing the optic that is a compromise too. Yes, most chest rigs are crap... so...

in modern times when have service members died by the boatloads due to ANY optic? SU-231/PEQ and SU-231A/PEQ were the first to be widely issued and were in use for almost a decade before the notice was sent out.
    The "window" where the reticle is still visible is quite small. The reticle must be somewhat inline with the barrel to be of use which limits the angle you can see the reticle. I presume the issue with helmet and gear is from prone where your pack and helmet no longer work together. There's no perfect solution. Chest rigs or plate carriers it doesn't make a difference, both have limitations as far as positional shooting is concerned.

MM

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    You still aren't getting it.

Put a Micro and an Eotech on the table.

Stand right behind each of them so the reticle is in the middle of the window. Gravy.

Now move your head up, down, left, right and note the distance your head moves. You can move your head/eye further in every direction with an Eotech than you can with a Micro with the dot still visible. The dot doesn't need to "be someone inline with the barrel to be of use".

If you can see the dot and you can put the dot on your target you will hit it, short of some very small parallax that exists in the Micro.

It's easy to verify. It's repeatable. It's measurable.

It's science.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyxcom View Post
    You still aren't getting it.

Put a Micro and an Eotech on the table.

Stand right behind each of them so the reticle is in the middle of the window. Gravy.

Now move your head up, down, left, right and note the distance your head moves. You can move your head/eye further in every direction with an Eotech than you can with a Micro with the dot still visible. The dot doesn't need to "be someone inline with the barrel to be of use".

If you can see the dot and you can put the dot on your target you will hit it, short of some very small parallax that exists in the Micro.

It's easy to verify. It's repeatable. It's measurable.

It's science.
    Thanks for the explanation, I've got that. What you aren't getting is that the dot must still be somewhat inline with the bore when VISIBLE to be of use. The window where you can still see the dot and the dot still be useful is very small. you can't look at an optic from say a 30' degree angle and both see the dot and make hits. You still need to be behind the optic and barrel to both see the dot and make hits. Reddot sights give you a larger margin of error for head placement but they don't allow you to shoot from positions other than BEHIND the rifle. It's a forgiving eye box with no fixed eye relief..

MM

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Yes, obviously if you can see the dot, you are somewhat behind the rifle.

The point is that the larger the window or "viewport" the more you can be skewed behind the rifle. We can argue the benefits of that increase in useable skew, fine, but you can't argue that the difference doesn't exist.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Not sure if this is old news, but expertcity.com, formerly known as promotive, has these for sale. I hadn't been on the website in awhile and I was checking out all the new optics Vortex has. Great prices if you qualify for the discounts. $419 for the UH-1. Not sure if they're actually shipping it yet but you can purchase it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)
    Nice! I'll get on and check later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ack495 View Post
    Not sure if this is old news, but expertcity.com, formerly known as promotive, has these for sale. I hadn't been on the website in awhile and I was checking out all the new optics Vortex has. Great prices if you qualify for the discounts. $419 for the UH-1. Not sure if they're actually shipping it yet but you can purchase it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    They are not shipping till March (end).

C4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Once these have been out for at least a year and reviews are posted by long term users (assuming the EE isn't filled up with folks trying to sell them), I'll take a look. Until then it's just another new, unproven optic...
    NRA Life Member

"WINNING" - When all of the liberal democrats and other libtards start throwing themselves off cliffs because they don't get their way...

JEDIsh: We are asked not to judge all muslims by the acts of a few extremists, but we are encouraged to judge all gun owners by extreme acts of the few.

Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast