Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Entry Level General Purpose AR10

Feedback Score

Best Entry Level General Purpose AR10

I'm considering purchasing an AR10 platform rifle in the $1000-$1300 range and wanting input from other forum members on which one of the following are the best entry level AR10. If I had to give a criteria on attributes that I find most important in a rifle they would be the following from most important to least.

1) Reliability
    2) Accuracy (1 MOA with good ammo ideal, can live with 1.5MOA)
    3) Weight/Maneuverability
    4) Upgradeability/Availability of Spare parts
    5) Cost

My uses for this rifle would be the following: General Target shooting, Long Range Shooting 400-800M, Defensive use, and Hunting.

The three rifles that I'm considering are the following:

Armalite Defender-10

Aero Precision M5E1

S&W M&P 10

I'm also open to other suggestions if they stay in my price range

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Best Entry Level General Purpose AR10

What you're looking for doesn't exist. In my honest opinion, the only viable AR-10 pattern rifles on the market are the KAC SR-25, HK 417 and LMT MWS. You gotta pay to play. If I was looking for a .308 battle rifle in the sub 2k price range it would probably be a Galil.

Reliable, duty grade .308 semi auto is an expensive game. Key words being reliable and duty grade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mr. Goodtimes; 11-23-16 at 08:45.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    You aren't going be using your 3 choices to make 400-800 yard shots, OP

If you want a basic AR-10, the DEF-10 is better than your other two choices.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    Even the guys expecting to offer upgrades to the DPMS G2 for operation were not looking at those requirements, especially for that price range.
    If you can get there with a 5.56 AR model, let us know.

Feedback Score
    I have almost as much in my optic as I do my rifle and my optic was double your price range... 308s aren't cheap but I've extremely happy with mine, it shoots better than the guy sleeping with my wife... That guy isn't a good trigger puller...yet...

Feedback Score
    Here's the info on my build, it all started with seeing blemished uppers and lowers in stock at PSA...

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-cookie-cutter

A picture of it is on page 2. Now it sports a spuhr mount and a FFP Nightforce ATACR 4-16x42.

Feedback Score
    67 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    What you're looking for doesn't exist. In my honest opinion, the only two viable AR-10 pattern rifles on the market are the KAC SR-25, HK 417 and LMT MWS. You gotta pay to play. If I was looking for a .308 battle rifle in the sub 2k price range it would probably be a Galil.

Reliable, duty grade .308 semi auto is an expensive game. Key words being reliable and duty grade.

Best $2200 I ever spent was on the MWS.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    In the OP's price range, the Armalite AR-10A DEF10 is head and shoulders above the rest of the pack.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benito View Post
    In the OP's price range, the Armalite AR-10A DEF10 is head and shoulders above the rest of the pack.
    I concur. These are not too common these days but I've seen 'em pop up on GB for 940 or so from time to time.

Outside of the 3 Mr. Goodtimes mentioned (though I'm no fan of the HK) it is the only thing I'd consider.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    You aren't going be using your 3 choices to make 400-800 yard shots, OP

If you want a basic AR-10, the DEF-10 is better than your other two choices.
    This^^^

I have an ArmaLite AR10A4CB, it has been reliable and a good rifle. It was considerably more $$$ than the DEF-10, but I've heard nothing but good about the latter.

But, a long-range shooter it is not.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast