Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Entry Level General Purpose AR10

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If only Armalite would use the damn SR-25 thread pattern on the upper receivers so they could take KAC rails.

When they brought out the AR-10 in the mid-90s it was basically an SR-25 clone so I don't know why they changed it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The Armalite has many more expansion and modification options than the others.

Configuring one to do all the things you've outlined will be like any other journey -- research and put it together to YOUR specs, as there are very few weapons out there that are flexible enough for multi-purpose use (and be good at each task).

Generic after many off-the-shelf mods:

Feedback Score
    Too bad Armalite doesn't still offer those Eagle Arms stainless barrels. The one I have will put 5 175gr MKs in .5".

Feedback Score
    I purchased a Windham Weaponry SRC 308 with an 18" and have been happy with it so far. It's a sub $1500 rifle.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I too have a Windham SRC 308 model r18fsfsm that I have been very happy with so far. Shoots everything I put through it and can shoot MOA with good ammo, the only complaint that I have is the factory trigger absolutely sucks. The only thing I've changed was swapped that out for a Geissele ssa-e, and will probably put some sort of brake on it. Now I also have a scar 17, and is the WW in the same league...absolutely not. But when gallery of guns had the Windham on sale for $1299 that was hard to pass up, that's half the price of what my scar cost me and I shoot almost as much.

IMG_0812.jpg

Feedback Score
    I live in the slums when it come to 308 AR's, as I blew all my money on an M1A, and couple nice 1911's and 5.56 uppers................but the DPMS Oracle I have is not bad for the money. You just have to be willing/able to change a bunch of stuff on it out of the box. Your basically getting a decent barrel, a set of receivers, and a BCG to work with. I put a Mid west industries M-lok hand guard and gas block on it, changed the comm. spec receiver extension out for a mil spec one, tossed the shitty stock it came with for a Magpul ACS-L, put a Magpul MIAD grip on it, added a set of magpul pro offset BUIS's, and run a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 in the vortex cantilever mount and it runs great, and shoots 1 MOA with my handloads at 100 yards, which is pretty good IMHO for an "entry level/GP 308 AR"............and i have less $$ into it (minus optics) than just about any off the shelf plain jane 308. I paid $700 NIB for the rifle, $200 for the Midwest Industries handguard, $40 for the gas block, the rest of the stuff is stuff I already had laying around for other projects and they just got funneled to this one.

As a side note, the only thing I did nothing to the FCG out of the box, I am running the stock stuff, and I changed the extractor and insert to the "G2" rubber thingy (I can't think of the proper name right now" and it's run 100% .

Feedback Score
    LR-308

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glock21xxx View Post
    Best $2200 I ever spent was on the MWS.
    The worst $2567 I ever spent was on the MWS.

Feedback Score
    I replaced the trigger as well with a Geissele. A much needed improvement. I also added a Gamma 762 muzzle break and its more pleasant to shoot now.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KalashniKEV View Post
    The worst $2567 I ever spent was on the MWS.
    Explain.

Was it weight? Barrel swap gimmicky?

I thought the MWS was essentially the SR-25s slightly more plain cousin.

Part of me wants an AR10A receiver kit to attempt an idea build.

Part of me would rather hope in another 4 years I can nick another SR-25

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast