Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: School me on 9mm ARs.

Feedback Score
    Except that requires counting the number of rounds you fired and being in a low enough threat area that you can afford to reload with rounds still in the mag. Viable technique for competition though.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RIGPIG View Post
    My point stands. If you train to shoot until bold hold open, you're doing it wrong. Train to reload with one in the chamber, it's much quicker than an open bolt reload.
    Good food for thought but I haven't found that to be a reliable method under high levels of stress. I'd prefer my 9mm have the same features as my 5.56. To each his own though.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    Good food for thought but I haven't found that to be a reliable method under high levels of stress. I'd prefer my 9mm have the same features as my 5.56. To each his own though.
    This......
    NRA Life Member

"WINNING" - When all of the liberal democrats and other libtards start throwing themselves off cliffs because they don't get their way...

JEDIsh: We are asked not to judge all muslims by the acts of a few extremists, but we are encouraged to judge all gun owners by extreme acts of the few.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Counting rounds in a high stress real world application is not reliable. Unless you are performing tactical reloads during a lull in the action there is no reason not to shoot to bolt lock.

Feedback Score
    Regarding buffers, a 5 oz carbine length buffer will overtravel. That is, it's going back farther than it needs to since the 9mm is shorter than a 5.56 round. On a Colt pattern setup with LRHO this will put more stress on that latch when it slams in to battery. Broken latches used to be common til the dedicated length buffers came around.

If you don't want to spring for a new buffer there's spacers available (Spike's has a nice aluminum one and I think Brownell's has a cheap delrin spacer) or you can drop some quarters in your buffer. I started with a RRA 5 oz carbine length buffer and when I added 7 quarters in my buffer to eliminate the overtravel it smoothed it out quite a bit.

I run a Spike's ST-9X 8.5 oz dedicated length buffer, runs good with light range loads up to +P loads. For a steady diet of +P I'd probably go up to a Slash's 10 oz.

My RRA upper has a gas deflector on it, and just picked up a PSA pistol upper with no door or deflector. For right handed use I notice no difference in felt gasses between the two. For left handed shooting I'd assume that deflector would be worth it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234