Thread: Hunting in NoVA WMAs?

Feedback Score

Hunting in NoVA WMAs?

So, I'm in NoVA for the winter while I'm in training for work and my nine year old wants me to take him hunting. We are not from the area and don't have any friends with land, so I want to explore the possibility of taking him out to one of the Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs) to shoot some squirrel.

I don't want to go to the trouble and expense involved with trying to go on a deer hunt, but thought that a one day squirrel hunt would be just what was called for so that my son would get a taste.

Anyone have any advice? We are in Falls Church, so I am looking at the Thompson and Merrimac WMAs.

Thanks in advance.

Gary

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In the past, I bird hunted on the WMAs. We had limited success.

Based on your location, you might try Chester F. Phelps WMA near Remington, VA. Phelps has the advantage of being near Clark Brothers, an Old Virginia gun store with a nice collection of Winchester firearms and a range, and some excellent barbecue just across the street.

A bit farther west along I-66, is the national forest. You may find that hunting is better in the national forest than on the WMA. I certainly had more success there than on the management areas.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    The other place I've been is Thompson out toward Front Royal. I thought Thompson was really busy during deer season. The weekdays during the day wasn't to bad. Thompson is easier to get to from the DC area than Phelps in my opinion as it is right off 66. Both are at least an hour from you. Good luck. David

Feedback Score
    Guys,
    Thanks for the replies. I plan on making a trip to scout locations in the next few weeks before I bring my son out.

On the maps on the web, it is hard to tell which areas of the WMA are open for hunting. Are there personnel on site, or should I call the Dept of Game for questions?

Gary

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Generally, there is no one on site. The main parking area will have a map showing the WMA and any restrictions. You may want to call and talk with a knowledgeable person at dept game and inland fisheries for further information.

Feedback Score
    Roger, thanks again.