Thread: Help identify these stocks please.

Feedback Score

Help identify these stocks please.

I found these stocks in the back of a closet. My dad gave them to me years ago and I forgot about them. I assumed they were M16A1 stocks, but didn't the A1s have a trapdoor storage compartment? These just have a plain rubber buttpad.

So what are they and are they worth anything?

DSCN0623.jpg

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Looks like a lot of D type stocks. These were used primarily on Model 604s, Model 603/XM16E1s, and Model 605s. Value wise, that really depends on what someone is willing to pay. I have bought a few in the past couple years from Indiana Army Surplus for $25. I have seen some listed for sale as high as $99. A good median and reasonable value would be about $35-$50 depending on condition. In my opinion, the rack numbers are a bonus.

Here are a few I have with D type stocks.
    Model 603/XM16E1

Model 604

Model 605
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    Thanks! As always, those are great looking builds. All they need is that little pin above the selector and you wouldn't ever know the difference!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HansTheHobbit View Post
    Thanks! As always, those are great looking builds. All they need is that little pin above the selector and you wouldn't ever know the difference!
    You are welcome and thank you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    You are welcome and thank you.
    Just out of curiosity, how difficult was the 605 build?

ETA: I'm thinking maybe I'll get a Colt A1 parts kit from Sarco and turn it into a 605A. Would that be an accurate representation of the 605A, given that I used the correct lower receiver? Unfortunately the only photo I can find of a 605A (from the Reed Knight collection) isn't clear enough to show what lower parts were used. Since they seem to have used an A1 upper receiver, I'm assuming they went ahead and used the standard A1 lower parts as well?
    Last edited by HansTheHobbit; 11-24-16 at 11:35.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HansTheHobbit View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how difficult was the 605 build?

ETA: I'm thinking maybe I'll get a Colt A1 parts kit from Sarco and turn it into a 605A. Would that be an accurate representation of the 605A, given that I used the correct lower receiver? Unfortunately the only photo I can find of a 605A (from the Reed Knight collection) isn't clear enough to show what lower parts were used. Since they seem to have used an A1 upper receiver, I'm assuming they went ahead and used the standard A1 lower parts as well?
    Here s something that will be of help to you.

http://bpullignwolnet.dotster.com/re...rbGde/605.html

The Model 605s used either a slickside upper receiver (like the Model 602 and Model 604) or a modified 603 upper (forward assist area was filled and ground down). None of them had a forward assist. The difference in a 605A and 605B is the fire control group. The 605A was SAFE, SEMI, and AUTO. The 605B was SAFE, SEMI, BURST, and AUTO).

As far as how difficult it is to build a Model 605, it is not that hard. It is important to get the right stock (D type), lower receiver (partial fence), upper receiver (slickside), pistol grip (A1), triangular handguards, flat slip ring, and the barrel done properly. The 605 used a cut-down A1 20" 1/12 twist barrel. They were shortened to 15" and a 3-prong FH installed. On the clones, the gas port has to be opened up in order for it to cycle properly. Colt did not realize this when they built the 605s initially. Also, the flashing on the FSB needs to be removed to make it correct. The original 605s had a cast FSB. I highly recommend contacting John Thomas (Retro Arms Works) to have the barrel work done. He is absolutely the best.

801-441-2801
    jntmjt1@yahoo.com

I hope this helped.
    Last edited by Renegade04; 11-24-16 at 13:01.