Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Learn me on plate carriers

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    I remembered reading this, but had to go back over it as it can be rather confusing.

I'll def reach out to Mike before I place my order. I wouldn't say that .308 isn't a concern but it's less of a concern than M855, M193 and 7.62x39 MSC. Going off what I've seen on the job, and seen when I worked at a large firearms retailer in the area; the rifles potentially shitty people generally purchased (in order of commonality) were 5.56mm Nato, 7.62x39mm, 7.62x54R and .308 WIN/7.62 NATO being a very distant second. I work and live in a large county that encompasses both urban, suburban and rural areas. Depending on where the response takes place, and the likely scenario, responding personnel could face anything from 5.56 NATO to high power hunting rounds like .308, 30-06, .270 etc. Obviously, the odds of encountering an adversary with a .270 win is statistically much smaller than a 5.56, however, the possibility remains... If you're responding to an active shooter in an urban part of the county, the likely threat is going to be common handgun rounds, shitty .223 ball, M193, M855 and shitty steel cased 7.62x39. If you're responding to a call out in BFE whitetrashville or the trailer park, there is of course the overwhelming possibility that you will encounter all of the aforementioned threats as well as a good chance of encountering some 7.62x54R fired from a Mosin variant. it seems like the firepower of choice for shitty people are generally cheap AR's, cheap AK's, SKS's, M44's and cheap scatterguns.

Like most things in this industry, though, body armor is about compromise and mitigating the odds of you becoming less alive. The best solution is obviously to not get shot.
    so anything outside urban is whitetrashville or trailer park.
    Last edited by DBCDave; 01-07-17 at 08:18.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I picked up the Paraclete from SKD and I really like it...nice fit and the option for side armor is a good thing. I haven't gotten plates yet still doing some research on that...

The carrier didn't come with the pontoons but no big deal..

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Putting together a lightweight rig based on the SKD/First Spear STT. Im waiting on plate backers to arrive tomorrow, wearing it around the house with plates and 3 mags feels amazing compared to my Siege-R. Gonna hit the range Saturday and take it for a quick 6-8 miler later that night. If you want to run light, give it a look.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    What are some good plate carriers to go with the SKD Armor 10" x 12" Level IV plates? Preferably something with some molle cumberbunds to mount an IFAK. I'd also prefer to have something that fits closer to a USGI IOTV size small due to my height, the medium size I was first issued chokes me out when seated.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by contax_shooter View Post
    What are some good plate carriers to go with the SKD Armor 10" x 12" Level IV plates? Preferably something with some molle cumberbunds to mount an IFAK. I'd also prefer to have something that fits closer to a USGI IOTV size small due to my height, the medium size I was first issued chokes me out when seated.
    OPTactical's MBAV-APC. The MBAV specific cut allows a 10x12 plate to sit a little better than standard ESAPI cut plate carriers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    OPTactical's MBAV-APC. The MBAV specific cut allows a 10x12 plate to sit a little better than standard ESAPI cut plate carriers.

Of course that's out of stock at the moment.

Will the first gen JPC work with the SKD level IV plates?

I'm also liking the style of the OPT-Velocity Systems LWPC:
    http://www.optactical.com/vesyliweplca.html

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    First Spear STT...

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    To close out my request, I ended up with the medium Ronin Assaulter Lite and the SKD IV plates. PC isn't the most optimal fit for the plates, I'll upgrade to nicer SAPI plates next year. Single curve plates kind of suck too.

I recycled the shock cord from the Grey Ghost Gear Minimalist IFAK pouch to attached the tourniquet in front.

Feedback Score
    Just starting on my gear. Gonna be a rig I can throw in my suv just. in. case. Want it to be a little rugged, as light/mobile/low profile as possible, based around my rifle and getting in or out of a bad situation quickly. No real focus on survival except for some first aid.

Just got my Mayflower APC, shopping for steel now. I'm thin and am looking at two of AR500's lightweight lvl iii+ stuff in the swimmer's cut: http://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-armo...ody-armor.html
    Like one of the previous posters, I'm more concerned about protection against multiple shots of .223 or crappy 5.56/7.62x39 (and the occasional m193/m855 out of 16 inch barrels) than defeating larger calibers.

I am really open to suggestions here, though. Looking to stay between $300-$400 and as light/mobile/low profile as possible. Resistant of common rifle rounds at around 3000fps.

Have Mayflower's triple m4 mag for my kangaroo pouch in the mail. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to go with bfg's 10 speed triple m4 mag pouch or their double m4 mag pouch and double pistol mag pouch. Leaning towards the triple and just keeping my extra pistol magazines in something like a neo mag in my backpocket. Sometimes I don't carry my sphinx and the pistol mags could be wasted real estate on my pc. Will pick up something like bfg's mirco first aid pack and stash it on my back.

Again, I'm really open to suggestions from this forum.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Velocity Systems/Mayflower manufactured every single piece of armor or armor carrying equipment I have paid for. The only exception to that is some side plates I just bought with SKD's massive Trump sale. Even though I got a great deal on them, I already regret using anything other than Velocity armor. There are plenty of decent options out there that work well, but I think it's hard to be Velocity and I think you should be able to get a full package with your budget.

velocity systems / mayflower is great. to the OP, when purchasing, take very careful note of cummerbund armor size. most armor comes in 6x6 or 6x8. the velsys and mayflower offerings come in a 5x8 configuration and their cummerbund pockets reflect that sizing. if you work for an agency that has freebie 6x8 trauma plates in old vests that have been turned in, then you can shop for a 6x8 or 6x10 cummerbund you can save yourself some money.

again to the OP: it seems like the cool thing these days is scalability. however, i have come to find that you just need different kits for different functions.

allow me to present my case.

a plate carrier has 2 main components, the plate bags and the cummerbund.

most load-outs require real estate, usually in the form on MOLLE, (some of these new slicky systems or load out flaps have sewn in configurations which is less desirable to me. i like my stuff where i like it, not where someone else thinks i should like it).

if you are like most people, you require cummerbund real estate in order to accomplish a sensible load out. this means including a trauma kit, realistic use items like hand held flashlight, multi-tool, communication device pocket (whether it be for a phone or radio), restraints pocket, as well as the 1.5 billion rounds of ammunition everyone is trying to cram on their armor. if you do not use a battle belt type system, that increases the primeness of the armor carrier real estate.

so, what am i getting at?

i prefer my systems to be grab and go. i can't spend the night before rerouting all the communication wiring, or removing it all together, or pulling the MOLLE cummerbund off to switch it out for the elastic cummerbund, and then be forced to make the conscious decision to just go without the med kit and the extra magazine or whatever other stuff i lose from peeling a MOLLE cummerbund off. yes, i'm sure if you really want to, you could figure out some way to "scale" it all, put all the critical stuff on the plate bags and then make the cummerbund stuff what you would add on, or maybe start using a belt (which i refuse to do) and it might involve some inserts that can be pulled off one place and easily inserted in another. i'm not doing it.

i'm setting up 1 kit for 1 purpose and i set up a separate slick kit for the slick purpose. i set up all my kits to resemble each other as closely as possible for the purpose they serve.

just like building a rifle, there's no rifle that just scales up and down to do everything perfectly. there's similarly not going to be 1 kit that does it all without compromising a lot.

so while everyone is buying ferro concept slicksters and piecing together exactly what they want for a lot of money, i just purchased a mayflower APC. full set of velsys level 4 plates.

now this is not to say i didn't buy a ferro or a perroz or similar plate carrier for my slick set up, complete with all the flattened blue force gear 10 speed pouches. i did.

also keep in mind, some of the factors that drove me in this direction are that i refuse to wear a battle belt system and i refuse to give up side armor protection of some type.
    Last edited by trinydex; 04-21-17 at 18:36.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast