Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Assumptions about comparative ammo quality and "every barrel is a law unto itself"

Feedback Score
    I have known several shooters with a "Led Sled" and they all found out the hard way the rifle would shoot better without it.

There is simply too much flex and movement with the "Led Sled" and you will not see any benchrest shooters using one.

Not long ago I had a "Led Sled" shooter sitting at the bench next to me at the range and shooting large groups and scratching his head.

I had him come to my bench and shoot off my rest and bags and his groups shrank to below an inch. I have a simple adjustable cast iron three legged front rest with attached bag and several type rear bags. And once in place it is very solid on our concrete benches and it doesn't move.

Read the link below and how this shooter is shooting bughole groups from a attached bipod. (KISS- Keep it simple stupid)

Bugholes from Bipod
    http://www.accurateshooter.com/shoot...es-from-bipod/

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    In all the years I have been shooting, I have never seen a barrel that did not shoot the 55gr VMAX well. So your barrel OP is probably junk (assuming you know how to shoot).

C4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Aries, when considering that the test centered around two 5 shot groups, any conclusions drawn will be based on scant data and would be considered weak. The fact that the shooter was a gunsmith only implies that he is a good marksman. So, here we have an unstated assumption. Another assumption is that each ammo type came from lots that were representative of the manufacturer's standards.
    Last edited by williejc; 11-26-16 at 19:24. Reason: clarity

Feedback Score
    i would definitely conclude something is wrong.

of many many ARs, i have had two that shot like that. one was a very expensive factory gun from a big name sponsor here. they fixed it. not sure what was wrong. the other was a custom build i did. I replaced the high quality match barrel with an even higher quality krieger stainless barrel, both chambered by well regarded shops that cater to high power shooters. it still shoots like that. it's been sitting in the safe for several years waiting for me to get around to troubleshooting it.

it's been a while, but iirc, both shot handloaded single-fed 80g SMK in the 1.5" ballpark, which was twice as good as 55g, but still wildly unacceptable.

i posted this just to say, like c4grant, the barrel is where i'd look first, but it may not be the culprit

Feedback Score
    The issue was with a non AR15 rifle that was sent back to the factory under warranty for testing, the results of which I mentioned in the 1st post. The company claimed the rifle had a "3" or 4" at 100 yard" accuracy spec, depending on who I spoke with. I thought they meant 4" at 100 yards with military ball, as they wouldn't tell me beforehand what ammunition they would use (CS rep's boss said that information was proprietary). The rifle passed their test, I was charged $70, and it's my problem again. I've already tried purchasing a spare factory barrel with no improvement over my original 5 MOA best results (75gr Prvi Partizan). I guess I could try a 3rd barrel and then send the rifle down the road if something reasonable can't be achieved with that.

Thanks for the help guys.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It really depends on the platform. Some are just not that accurate intrinsically. Most namely the FAL or AK 47 comes to mind. Other platforms also suffer issues with wandering POI and POI that is changed by what rest is used.

If you are not happy after this much trouble, I would sell. I ran into this before and was happy to get rid of the problem piece.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12