Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Link to FBI report on .40?

Feedback Score

Link to FBI report on .40?

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find the actual FBI report on .40 that's been in all the gun mags recently. I've read a lot of second hand accounts, and I would like to read the actual report for myself.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I want to see it as well, tagged

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alba9999 View Post
    I want to see it as well, tagged
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. Apparently my google fu is weak today...

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HansTheHobbit View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. Apparently my google fu is weak today...
    This is really the best I can find. As for the report itself, I am not sure the whole thing was released to the public? I am probably wrong though

http://soldiersystems.net/2014/09/25...ning-division/
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That's a good reading, thanks, I actually like reading comments "9mm may expand, but 45 doesn't shrink"
    Last edited by Alba9999; 12-15-16 at 14:05.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Much of it is FOUO, the mis-information and wordplay about it grows by the day. There are some summary finding floating around, but none of the hard data is out there.

Despite what soldier systems is reporting they did not test identical projectiles and it did not show the 9mm to outperformed the .40 and .45 with the same projectiles. They tested the latest 9mm projectiles against the standard issued .40 and .45 projectiles.

What the report says is the 9mm now has the ability to deliver a large enough and deep enough cavity to be critical and nearly identical to the current issued ammunition with lower recoil and higher capacity.

It was not apples to apples, it was current tech vs current issue.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    The CD given by the FBI is LE only. Their testing is ongoing and impressive. The Firearms unit was nice enough to stop all their work one day to give me and my Captain a personal briefing on their testing while my Agency was conducting a pistol evaluation. I was very impressed that they took a good chunk of time out of their day to sit down with me and answer my questions. What you are seeing online are just parts of a presentation the developed for other Law Enforcement. I was quite blunt in my questioning and they have me a very detailed answers. David

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitehorne View Post
    The CD given by the FBI is LE only. Their testing is ongoing and impressive. The Firearms unit was nice enough to stop all their work one day to give me and my Captain a personal briefing on their testing while my Agency was conducting a pistol evaluation. I was very impressed that they took a good chunk of time out of their day to sit down with me and answer my questions. What you are seeing online are just parts of a presentation the developed for other Law Enforcement. I was quite blunt in my questioning and they have me a very detailed answers. David
    From my experience, that is the norm at the FTU, or any place I've been at Quantico. Nice folks, there to help. ETA - numerous yearly trips, none in the last decade.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Other law enforcement organizations seem to be making the move back to 9mm Luger taking advantage of the new technologies which are being applied to 9mm Luger projectiles. These organizations are providing their armed personnel the best chance of surviving a deadly force encounter since they can expect faster and more accurate shot strings, higher magazine capacities (similar sized weapons) and all of the terminal performance which can be expected from any law enforcement caliber projectile.
    My personal take on it all was that with the overall popularity of 9mm over .40, more research had been done with regards to specifically improving the 9mm round. If .40 persists in its popularity with many departments, further research and application may in turn improve the capability of .40 - but with the number of issuers moving away from it, who knows if it will be enough effort, quickly enough to justify keeping .40 S&W as "Standard Issue."
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Who knows, that if the FBI had been using a deeper penetrating 9mm bullet and not the shallow penetrating/energy dump Winchester Silvertip 9mm ammo in the Miami shootout, the 40 S&W cartridge may never have been developed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast