Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lower damage

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Lower damage

I was out in my shop putting together another lower reciever for a rifle im building. Put the trigger in and went inside to grab my bad-cass, came back and my buddy that i was showing how to put one together, pulled the trigger on it. Put a couple of small dings in the lower. I dont think it cracked anything but i cant really tell. Anyways if you could look at the pics and tell what you think.

IMG_0476.jpgIMG_0478.jpg

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Looks fine, just a little scarring.

Thats why you never leave a newbie with something they wanna play with, but don't know enough.

I dont see any stress cracks, and if its aluminum, thats pretty fair damage from a heavy hammer.

Check your hammer out for any dings, or cracks, but those, usually, are hardened. But if you're not using a name brand FCG, you'll wanna check it for sure.

ETA: grabbed my phone and ZOOMED in on the picture. Defenitely just some anodizing/coating wear.

Others may have a different opinion, but I would build it and shoot it. Watch the area for stress every so many rounds, whatever makes you comfortable, and don't worry otherwise. It looks dandy.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 11-29-16 at 08:58.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    Looks fine, just a little scarring.

Thats why you never leave a newbie with something they wanna play with, but don't know enough.

I dont see any stress cracks, and if its aluminum, thats pretty fair damage from a heavy hammer.

Check your hammer out for any dings, or cracks, but those, usually, are hardened. But if you're not using a name brand FCG, you'll wanna check it for sure. ETA: grabbed my phone and ZOOMED in on the picture. Defentitely just some anodizing/coating wear.

Others may have a different opinion, but I would build it and shoot it. Watch the area for stress every so many rounds, whatever makes you comfortable, and don't worry otherwise.
    Thanks, hammer looks fine, alg act fcg. It did put 2 dings in it but i see any continuous lines coming from them. So i think they are good.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If the dings bother you - you can touch it up with Aluma-Black.

https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Refin...-Touch-Up.aspx
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Did you slap him?
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not an issue. Try to avoid letting him do it again haha

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Did you slap him?
    You read my mind.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nonissue. Just don't make a habit of pulling the trigger without an upper on attached.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike14_07 View Post
    I was out in my shop putting together another lower reciever for a rifle im building. Put the trigger in and went inside to grab my bad-cass, came back and my buddy that i was showing how to put one together, pulled the trigger on it. Put a couple of small dings in the lower. I dont think it cracked anything but i cant really tell. Anyways if you could look at the pics and tell what you think.

IMG_0476.jpgIMG_0478.jpg
    That's absolutely nothing. It's a non issue. Like another member said, if it bothers you cosmetically then you can touch it up with some aluminum black by Birtchwood Casey. Those 7075 lowers are very tough. One time I accidentally fell (twice) directly onto my BCM (I'm 6'2 270) directly onto the rifle flush. I though I had definitely snapped the thing in half and was in utter shock and disbelief when it didn't have a scratch on it nor was anything bent. Those 7075 lowers are built for war and are very tough.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    This is a cosmetic issue. I would also note that my lower looks the same as yours, and I have NEVER dropped the hammer without the upper in place. I think it's just cumulative wear from removing the upper without the hammer cocked back. It slaps forward ever so slightly when you do that, and over time...my hammer has a definite wear mark that matches that ledge in the upper. Upper has similar appearance to yours.

Iraq, what would it matter if the bolt-stop was installed? My hammer won't touch the bolt stop (Geissle and LaRue). Does the USGI hammer?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast