Wanted to do a quick review of the Shootrite Defensive Pistol course now that I've had a few weeks to digest it. Stealing my format from someone else since it seemed logical. Decided to try out Shootrite since they're <1 hour down the highway from me.

5W's and 1H

• Who: Shootrite / Tiger McKee
• What: Defensive Pistol.
• When: 11-12 Nov 16
• Where: Langston, AL - right outside Guntersville, AL
• Why: Fundamentals of defensive handgun use.

Instructor
Tiger McKee

http://www.shootrite.org/Director/Director.html

My rundown : Mr. McKee is not prior service military or police but he's been training and instructing for quite some time. Originally trained by his father, Col Robert McKee, who was a member of the AL Battalion of 20th USA SFG. Mr McKee trained under Col. Cooper in the original Gunsite days, is closely associated with Clint Smith and has been an adjunct instructor at Thunder Ranch since 1995. My impression is that of a fairly thoughtful and intelligent person and extremely well read. In our discussions over the course he was referencing academic publications that we could use for further learning with respect to physiology and biology and the body's response to stress and injury. He was also extremely attentive to the details of how the students were performing drills.

Students
Numbers: 4 this course. Maximum of 8.
Ages: 30s to 50s, men and women.
Experience: Beginner to more advanced. One student was an active police Sgt.
Small class was fantastic for individual instruction and correction.

Shootrite Range - Langston, AL. Just outside of Lake Guntersville, AL.
Range is backed up against a mountain. Has an indoor classroom with AC and heat. Has a "wall" of various types of cover and obstacles for more advanced classes. Our class just utilized the static range.
Plenty of places to stay in Guntersville and elsewhere nearby. South Saute Cafe just down the hwy is great for lunch. Fantastic double bacon cheeseburger.

Equipment
McKee advocates training like you fight. EDC gear for civilians and duty gear for police military. All standard requirements for gear, Pistol + holster, 3 mags + holster, ear pro, eye pro, hat. Weather appropriate clothing. They train rain or shine, hot or cold.

Topics Overview
1. Safety - classroom
2. Mental state of self defense / fighting - classroom
3. Physiological response to stress / fight or flight - classroom
4. Shot selection and placement based on biology - classroom
5. Basic pistol grip and manipulation, loading, unloading, draw, etc
6. Basic marksmanship and body mechanics
7. Reloading
8. Communication
9. Movement
10. Malfunction drills
11. Marksmanship at longer range
12. Legal aspects of defense - classroom

Course Overview

Biggest emphasis on safety. Making sure you only shoot the threat when you want to and don't shoot friendlies.

Second biggest emphasis was on the the mental aspects of self defense. Awareness and using all your senses to identify and address threats. Don't get into a "range" mindset where you fight as if you were target shooting.

Third biggest emphasis was the fact that the majority of your training happens away from the range. Practicing techniques with blue guns and "miming" to help build the neural pathways for fast repeat-ability etc etc.

Overall the course takes a very building block approach to instruction. Everything from safety instruction on up builds to a complete package of being able to rapidly deploy the pistol to stop a threat WITHOUT inadvertently shooting yourself or a friendly. While giving the techniques, effort was made to explain logically the "why" behind the technique. Plenty of opportunities for clarification and questions and as said above, individual instruction and correction. Personally I was given technique corrections that improved my shooting significantly, I had basically been shooting "wrong" my entire life with bad habits carried over from target shooting.

Lots of drill repetitions. 14 hours of total course work, with about 10 on the range with probably half of that done "dry" and I went through nearly 800 rounds. You repeat till everyone is performing the drill adequately.

Final Thoughts

My personal opinion is that the class was very worthwhile. I learned quite a bit in the 2 days time. The small classes work really well and I think the instructor has a particular talent for conveying information to you in a way you'll retain. I think anyone looking to take a class could do a lot worse that Tiger McKee and Shootrite.

Since I had such a good experience and Shootrite is so close I plan on taking more training there. I'm sending the wife over 3 Dec for a day of private basic (NRA First steps equiv) pistol and rifle instruction so she can start to CCW. I also plan on taking a carbine course some time in the spring.