Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spare Bolt Carrier Group?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Spare Bolt Carrier Group?

I've heard/read that a spare bolt carrier group is recommended.

A thought hit me and I'm wondering how many bolt carriers have had problems?

It seems the bolt is more the issue, with the extractor, rings or whatever. So, is anything more than a spare bolt in order to get the rifle up and running again quickly?
    "Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I would think an extra bolt would be all you need. Maybe a few small parts like gas rings and stuff too.
    Last edited by bowman57_2; 12-01-16 at 00:30.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A spare BCG would be - perhaps - recommended as a fast swap in the case your bolt or cam pin breaks; open the rifle, throw in a new BCG. Perhaps. I carry spare bolts and other small parts with known tendency for failure and the carrier isn't one of those things.

I don't expect any properly made carrier to fail, in any way, under reasonable circumstances.
    Nobody ever got shot climbing over the wall into East Berlin.

Delivering the most precision possible, at the greatest distance possible, with the highest rate of fire possible.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leuthas View Post
    A spare BCG would be - perhaps - recommended as a fast swap in the case your bolt or cam pin breaks; open the rifle, throw in a new BCG. Perhaps. I carry spare bolts and other small parts with known tendency for failure and the carrier isn't one of those things.

I don't expect any properly made carrier to fail, in any way, under reasonable circumstances.
    Pretty much this. I have a couple spare BCGs for quick swaps if the one I am using goes down.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Problems with gas keys can arise too, broken bolts, bad seal, etc. Perhaps less likely of an issue than with a bolt but a possibility nonetheless. An extra complete BCG, for not much more money, covers the bases.
    I keep spare bolts and complete BCGs around.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have seen a cracked carrier so I'm in the camp that says keep a spare bcg around.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yeah, a complete bcg would be the quickest way to remedy a problem. But having a few spare bolts, gas rings, springs in addition to a few extra firing pins, retaining pins, and cam pins should be more than enough.

Feedback Score
    I certainly agree having a complete spare is the quickest way. From what I gather the actual carrier body cracking or failing is rare, so really what would fail first is the gas key. I mean if you had a MOACKS tool, wouldn't replacing the gas key be a quick fix?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    A quick fix if you are in the shop. If you are at a range or at a class and the gas key cracks, you're screwed.
    Quite a few will take a spare rifle. However, I take a spare BCG as well.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    I always have a spare complete BCG in my range bag or my Assault Pack. I have seen too many good quality BCGs mess up at bad times.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast