Thread: Palmetto Armory (NOT PSA) Stamped Lower Serial #29XX- anyone know about this gun?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Palmetto Armory (NOT PSA) Stamped Lower Serial #29XX- anyone know about this gun?

My buddy found his dads old AR at a family property. He does not know much about it, I am trying to help him get some info. He believes it's from the late 70's early 80's. Lower is stamped "Palmetto Armory" with a serial number in the low 29k's. It has an A2 style upper, 20" barrel and a muzzle device that looks to me like it could be a suppresser adapter but I am not sure. I don't know if the muzzle device is original as he has a birdcage style FH in a bag of spare parts.

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    The muzzle device is not a suppressor adapter. It is an AK74 style muzzle brake.

As for the lower receiver, check this thread https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...metto-Arms-Q-s
    Last edited by CAR-AR-M16; 12-01-16 at 08:30.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What are the markings on the barrel? What are the forge codes on the upper receiver? That will provide a clue. Bushmaster used these AK-74 type brakes on some of their pre-ban uppers. As far as the Palmetto Armory lower, they were made by Olympic Arms. If I recall, these were cast lowers. Most were made back in the early to mid-1980s (pre-1986) if I am not mistaken.
    Last edited by Renegade04; 12-01-16 at 09:01.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    What are the markings on the barrel? What are the forge codes on the upper receiver? That will provide a clue. Bushmaster used these AK-74 type brakes on some of their pre-ban uppers. As far as the Palmetto Armory lower, they were made by Olympic Arms. If I recall, these were cast lowers. Most were made back in the early to mid-1980s (pre-1986) if I am not mistaken.
    it also has original bushmaster style forarms so it points to be a Bushmaster. Could you tell us what the barrel has inscribed on it
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein