Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New here.

Feedback Score

New here.

Didn't see an off topic forum, so here we go. I got a colt m4 22lr recently for the sole reason we use them at work, and I struggled entirely too much with it. None of the controls are where they're supposed to be and it feels like a toy instead of a gun, but I digress. Will be doing a lot of lurking; things have changed considerably since we told new National Match shooters coming to a match that when they got serious they'd get an M1A as "ratguns" would not reliably hold the black on the MR target at 600.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
    GySgt Thomas Sullivan
    SSgt David Wyatt
    Sgt Carson Holmquist
    LS2(SW) Randall Smith
    LCPL Squire "Skip" Wells

"These men are NOT victims."
    -CO, M/3/14, August 2015

Always Chattanooga Strong.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I don't understand what you're saying here.

Are you saying the controls on an AR are not the same as a M1A? So, to you, they're in the "wrong" place?

People seem to have a default response when handling lightweight firearms for the first time. Some how they conclude that firearm weight is proportional to capability. It's more about the role that a firearm is to fill.

A Corolla would be lightweight compared to a Chevy 3500. Both will get you where you're going however they will excel in different areas.

The AR platform is generally regarded as the correct way to set up controls. I like M1A's as well but, I personally think that the role of a M1A today is shrinking. Honestly, about the only thing I think a M1A has over a large frame AR nowadays is being allowed in some ban states.

Welcome to the forum.

Feedback Score
    Yeah basically. I spent my Service Rifle career with the M1 and M1A. Safety, flick trigger finger forward. Mag change, grab mag, press release with thumb while rocking forward. The AR feels about as far from ergonomic design as you can get to somebody with a lot of prior Firearms experience.

GySgt Thomas Sullivan
    SSgt David Wyatt
    Sgt Carson Holmquist
    LS2(SW) Randall Smith
    LCPL Squire "Skip" Wells

-CO, M/3/14, August 2015

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I would strongly suggest you find the right people to assist you with some basic training on the platform. If I'm reading your post correctly, you carry an AR at work? If so and you are at the stage you are in with these questions, I say that the trainers failed you. You are learning a new platform, you have to dedicate the time and effort with some knowledgeable guidance to make it a positive and productive venture. You owe it to the people you work with and serve if you do carry one to seek this assistance. Don't take this the wrong way, you just need some positive input.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by plain old dave View Post
    Yeah basically. I spent my Service Rifle career with the M1 and M1A. Safety, flick trigger finger forward. Mag change, grab mag, press release with thumb while rocking forward. The AR feels about as far from ergonomic design as you can get to somebody with a lot of prior Firearms experience.

It's funny you say that. (Not in a rude way)

Through my observations, it seems that Service Careers create a lot of differing opinions.

My father who was trained on the M14, says he loves the AR platform, that he understood why he was trained on it, but also understood 100% why they moved to carbines and the like.

Granted, I was born and bred mag releases that didn't involve mag rocking, so anything other than a quick tap, rack, and bang, is "unconventional" in my eyes.

That's, also, purely ergonomics, not all the other debatable stuff.

Nonetheless, welcome.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 12-01-16 at 15:00.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by plain old dave View Post
    Didn't see an off topic forum, so here we go. I got a colt m4 22lr recently for the sole reason we use them at work, and I struggled entirely too much with it. None of the controls are where they're supposed to be and it feels like a toy instead of a gun, but I digress. Will be doing a lot of lurking; things have changed considerably since we told new National Match shooters coming to a match that when they got serious they'd get an M1A as "ratguns" would not reliably hold the black on the MR target at 600.

What kind of work do you do that requires you to use a 22 long rifle?

Feedback Score
    It's an AR without blowing $700+.

GySgt Thomas Sullivan
    SSgt David Wyatt
    Sgt Carson Holmquist
    LS2(SW) Randall Smith
    LCPL Squire "Skip" Wells

-CO, M/3/14, August 2015

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Moving this into Training.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post

My father who was trained on the M14, says he loves the AR platform, that he understood why he was trained on it, but also understood 100% why they moved to carbines and the like.
    I'll be really candid, and try to avoid anything that might be misconstrued as trolling. For me, the AR platform will be an acquired taste; this gun is the ONLY selfloader I own, and the logic behind replacing a battle-proven design with proven killing power with a less powerful shoulder arm whose mechanism is designed to drop fouling into the mechanism is difficult to see at best.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    OP, I would suggest doing some research on the AR and what the design has accomplished over the last few decades of service. I would also suggest rinsing the Boiled Linseed Oil rags so they don't self combust and emit hazardous fumes prior to doing so.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast