Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Daniel Defense MK18 Gas Port Info

Feedback Score
    It is more likely that the gas block was an issue than the barrel port itself, although anything is possible. This is the first Ive heard of getting a choice between the commercial port size and a smaller port size, usually < 0.075.

Last I checked, DD does not let people build their own rifles. Perhaps a DD dealer can chime in on the possibility of special-ordering a barrel with the smaller gas port size.

Quote Originally Posted by nate89 View Post
    We are a dealer for DD, and have about 30 of their guns here right now. Currently they are so behind in orders, that custom building has been put on hold for the time being. I have never asked the rep about different gas post sizes, but I will be getting with him about an order in the next few days, and I'll ask.

I am sure that there have been some distributors who had large Daniel orders outstanding and may be cutting back or dropping the orders altogether based on the election outcome. As they catch up, I could see them offering more customization, perhaps a 'commercial' or 'mil' gas port being one option.
    I know they are in the process of building, or recently built, a new facility, and hired an additional 75 workers.

I for one would spring for a mil-spec'd gas port MK18 upper.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    We are a dealer for DD, and have about 30 of their guns here right now. Currently they are so behind in orders, that custom building has been put on hold for the time being. I have never asked the rep about different gas post sizes, but I will be getting with him about an order in the next few days, and I'll ask.

I am sure that there have been some distributors who had large Daniel orders outstanding and may be cutting back or dropping the orders altogether based on the election outcome. As they catch up, I could see them offering more customization, perhaps a 'commercial' or 'mil' gas port being one option.

Feedback Score
    It would seems this is an isolated claim vs actual recall.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'd love a 10.5 with .069" porting.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    This. My factory barrel only has about 5k thru, but I would replace it and save the original for hard times...😀
    "I would rather be the hammer than the anvil."- Rommel

Owner: Hangar 18 Custom Coatings

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Same here

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    DD is my #2 favorite AR manufacturer next to KAC, I have a DD lower form 1'd I planned fo throw a DD Mk18 upper on (with a Specwar K), I'd love to see a smaller gas port. If not I'll throw a VLTOR 5 k LMT enhanced BCG on it and call it good.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Daniel defense mk18 recall/info

I have similar, personal experience. I have a DD Mk18. My original stamp actually came through the same day as the Sandy Hook shooting in December 2012.

I had a ton of trouble with my Mk18 from the start including numerous functional issues followed by a major defect found with the NFA lower. I actually had to have my lower replaced by DD with a new NFA lower. That overall issue took until March of 2015 to get resolved when I finally received the stamp for the new lower.

In the meantime I kept the original upper for use on another NFA lower I had. I continued to have numerous issues both suppressed and non-suppressed that saw it sent back for warranty work three times.

The last trip back to DD in June 2015 finally resulted in a replaced BCG, one of their NSWC crane 10.3 barrels and one of their milspec Mk12 gas blocks. I haven't had an issue since and it has become my favorite go to SBR. I believe the gas port is spec'd at .072 or .073.

As frustrated as I was with all this, the only reason I stuck with it was because of DD's customer service and warranty support. Nothing short of spectacular. In spite of the issues with this particular gun, their support and great people convinced me to buy two more DD carbines (non-NFA) and both have had zero issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by arptsprt; 12-02-16 at 22:16.

Feedback Score
    Interesting.. I didn't know that milspec and civilian have different port size.

I wonder why Milspec 10.3 in has smaller port size than Milspec 11.5 (which is .076 correct me if I'm wrong), despite having shorter barrel.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The DD 10.3 COTS barrels have a .083 port. Their rationale is the larger port will provide for better reliably across a wider range of ammunition including lower power, lower quality .223.

Many of us who only use high quality milspec ammo have experienced the opposite due to overgas headaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast