Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Psilocybin Mushrooms and depression

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    I only recently found those videos.
    Very impressive information about a very impressive guy.
    It would appear he set a goal, educated himself and then became the best in the world in a very competitive sport.
    Pretty Amazing.
    Few had a work ethic like Dorian. I'd a still the best of all time. Here's a fun read that includes Dorian:

http://www.brinkzone.com/articles/re...-the-industry/
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    Have you heard about truffle mushroom being used as a medicine? Many people struggle with depression and anxiety. These struggles limit their activities and the enjoyment they get out of life. However, psychedelics like magic mushrooms have been studies and their potential in treating mental illness and anxiety seem promising. I came across this articlehttp://www.trufflemagic.com/blog/fam...lic-mushrooms/ that even celebrities use it. Psychedelics have been used by many creative and successful people. However, because of the stigma brought by psychedelics, only a small percentage of successful shroomers have spoken in public about the benefits of magic mushrooms and their experience

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Good bump for this thread:

The largest psychedelic research center in the world, and the first of its kind in the United States, will open at Johns Hopkins Medicine in Maryland. Funded by $17 million from private donors, the Center for Psychedelic and Consciousness Research will conduct research into the use of psychedelic drugs in the treatment of addiction, PTSD, depression, Alzheimer's disease and more.

"In addition to studies on new therapeutics, we plan to investigate creativity and well-being in healthy volunteers that we hope will open up new ways to support human thriving," Roland Griffiths, Ph. D., the center's director and a professor at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, said.

The research center's initial research has focused on psilocybin, the chemical compound found in magic mushrooms, with a broad mandate. According to a press release, researchers will investigate how psilocybin affects "behavior, brain function, learning and memory, the brain's biology and mood." Potential applications under investigation will include therapies for opioid addiction, Alzheimer's, PTSD, eating disorders, alcoholism and even post-treatment Lyme disease syndrome. Clinical trials already planned for the research center include an investigation into psychedelics relation to brain function and blood biomarkers.

Griffith's psychedelic research group was first granted regulatory approval to study psychedelics in 2000. Griffith and his team conducted studies that found enduring, positive emotional effects, even months after a psilocybin experience. In one study, 67 percent of 36 patients described their psychedelic experience as one of the "most meaningful" of their lives.

"Our scientists have shown that psychedelics have real potential as medicine, and this new center will help us explore that potential," dean of the medical faculty at Johns Hopkins, Paul B. Rothman, M.D., said.

Subsequent research has already demonstrated promising therapeutic benefits in the treatment of nicotine addiction and in mitigating the anxiety and depression associated with high mortality diseases, including cancer.

Cont:

https://www.newsweek.com/magic-mushr...7eF3hXpwY7BbLU
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Bumping this thread: Data and clinical experience continues to mount that mushrooms and other Psychedelics can have profound effects on mood. This new article in Scientific American is must read stuff:

The Power of Psychedelics

They worked for my depression; could they be the future of psychiatry?

In 2012, I had my first psychedelic experiences, as a subject in a clinical trial at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine’s Behavioral Pharmacology Research Unit. I was given two doses of psilocybin spaced a month apart to treat my cancer-related depression.

During one session, deep within the world the drug evoked, I found myself inside a steel industrial space. Women were bent over long tables, working. I became aware of my animosity towards my two living siblings. A woman seated at the end of a table wearing a net cap and white clothes, turned and handed me a tall Dixie cup.

“You can put that in here,” she said. The cup filled itself with my bilious, sibling-directed feelings. “We’ll put it over there.” She turned and placed the cup matter-of-factly on a table at the back of the room. Then she went back to her tasks.

Whenever I speak with her, Mary Cosimano, the director of guide/facilitator services at Johns Hopkins Center for Psychedelic and Consciousness Research, mentions the women in the chamber and the cup. My experience struck a chord. For me, the women in the chamber have become a transcendent metaphor for emotional healing.

Cont:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-psychedelics/
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Worthy thread bump here. Progress continues since I started this thread:

Psychedelics are transforming the way we understand depression and its treatment
    Psychiatry has long failed to explain depression. Our psilocybin research helps offer new answers

While the serotonin hypothesis has some scientific foundation, it has been massively oversold by the pharmaceutical industry. This has stoked scepticism about one-sided, neurochemical explanations for depression, which suggest, for instance, that people are depressed because their serotonin levels are too low. The latest evidence indicates that SSRIs such as escitalopram are only marginally more effective at treating depression than a placebo, with response rates tending to average about 50-60 per cent. Other limitations of SSRIs include poor compliance, symptoms when people stop taking them, unpleasant side-effects and a sluggish onset of antidepressant effects.
    An alternative

I began investigating an alternative to antidepressant medicines about 15 years ago as part of my PhD. Psilocybin, a constituent of “magic mushrooms”, is a classic psychedelic. When taken in high doses, it profoundly alters the quality of one’s conscious awareness, producing complex visions and releasing suppressed memories and feelings. After completing a series of studies involving psilocybin, including an earlier trial of its effects among people with treatment-resistant depression, I set out to design a more rigorous test that might help to contextualise the drug’s therapeutic promise. The resulting trial was completed last year, and its findings have now been published in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Cont:

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-...ment-1.4542621
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Mushroom for depression, X for PTSD, who would have thought psychoactive drugs would be considered treatment for anything?

F.D.A. Agrees to New Trials for Ecstasy as Relief for PTSD Patients
    I listened to an interview on NPR a few months ago. The interview was with the big LSD researcher (can’t remember his name) that had recently passed. It was a good listen and a lot of the LSD pros he was claiming made sense.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Sounds like a life saver here...

Marcus Capone founder of VETS, INC. along with his Wife Amber Capone join us on The Shawn Ryan Show to discuss Marcus's military career as a Tier 1 explosive breacher at DEVGRU also known as SEAL Team 6. Marcus goes in depth as to the effects of explosive breaching and the effects of being combat warfighter has on the brain. We then cover how single treatment of psychedelic assisted therapy would not only save his life, but bring his family back together after almost losing them due to mild traumatic brain damage

Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Updates of possible interest via military times:

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Matthew Butler spent 27 years in the Army, but it took a day in jail to convince him his post-traumatic stress disorder was out of control.

The recently retired Green Beret had already tried antidepressants, therapy and a support dog. But his arrest for punching a hole in his father’s wall after his family tried to stage an intervention in Utah made it clear none of it was working.

“I had a nice house, I had a great job, whatever, but I was unable to sleep, had frequent nightmares, crippling anxiety, avoiding crowds,” he said. “My life was a wreck.”

He eventually found psychedelic drugs, and he says they changed his life. “I was able to finally step way back and go, ‘Oh, I see what’s going on here. I get it now,’” said Butler, now 52. Today his run-ins with police have ended, he’s happily married and reconciled with his parents.

Butler, who lives in the Salt Lake City suburbs, is among military veterans in several U.S. states helping to persuade lawmakers to study psychedelic mushrooms for therapeutic use.

Conservative Utah has become at least the fourth state over the last two years to approve studying the potential medical use of psychedelics, which are still federally illegal. A string of cities have also decriminalized so-called magic mushrooms and an explosion of investment money is flowing into the arena.

Cont:

https://www.militarytimes.com/vetera...conservatives/
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Gutfeld was talking about them a few weeks ago...

Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast