Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I shall call him...James

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I shall call him...James

New updates/pics at the bottom...

--original post--

Picked up a Seekins lower last year for Christmas...serial #xx007...and finally (mostly) completed the build today thanks to another member here coming through with a Boomfab bolt carrier to put the finishing touch on what turned out to be a lightweight build...though that wasn't the original intent.

Seekins Precision Lower
    Battle Arms Development Sabertube
    Standard weight carbine buffer/spring
    V7 titanium buffer retainer
    Seekins ambi selector
    V7 lightweight takedown pins
    Geissele SD3G trigger
    V7 mag release w/diamond cut button to match the Seekins bolt catch paddles
    Ergo lightweight swift grip with V7 titanium grip screw
    Battle Arms Development lightweight Upper (new 6.28 oz version)
    V7 lightweight port door and rod (swapped in a black spring though)
    BCM 9" fluted 300BLK barrel w/AAC 51T flash hider for now to fit my SDN-6 can
    Next Intent titanium adjustable gas block
    V7 inconel gas tube
    Odin Works 9.5" O2 Lite Keymod hand guard
    Arisaka finger stop
    Bobro BUIS
    BCM/Vltor large (mod 3) charging handle.

Normally run a JP LMOS stainless bolt carrier with BCM bolt and V7 titanium firing pin on this build, Boomfab carrier in there for these pics and weight. JP carrier ~2 oz heavier.

Just under 4 and 1/2 pounds as it sits right now:

Ares Amentum sling and Surefire light/mount not shown. Eventually will get a Falkor Optimus buttstock if it ever becomes anything more than vaporware...will throw a Maxim PDW stock on here by next spring and put the Sabertube on a lightweight build (Boomfab destined for that build too) based on a 2A Arms Balios Lite upper/lower set already in progress.

James still needs a scope or red dot...leaning towards an Aimpoint on this one. I like the Fortis mount on my daughter's rifle but it feels a bit fragile for a PDW. Regardless, should be able to keep it just under 5# with a red dot...under 6 with the Thunder Beast Ultra 5C direct-thread can that will eventually go on this one...I'll lose the 51T flash hider currently on there to mount my AAC cans.

Storyline of how this one developed during the past year over on Zombie Squad <---click
    Last edited by 91Eunozs; 02-19-17 at 03:26.

Feedback Score
    Very, very nice setup/build, thanks for sharing.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Nice looking build! Very light too...

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Got to say, that is a sick looking rifle. I would not normally prefer the astehtics of any of the major components individually but it all comes together!

Where did you find black port-door springs? It drives me a little crazy those sexy V Seven port doors come with the shinny spring.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Very nice little build there man. I agree that it came together very well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysimons View Post
    ...Where did you find black port-door springs? It drives me a little crazy those sexy V Seven port doors come with the shiny spring.
    Me too... Had it in my spares, but available from either Brownells or Midway. Just a normal DPMS or some other standard mil-spec door spring.

Feedback Score
    Very nice looking setup. Awesome finished weight as well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nearly complete update... consolidated and edited from several posts over on Zombiesquad.

A couple of updates...

First of all, the upper and handguard finally showed up!

Dog's go nuts just as we're sitting down for dinner...what's this big box?

Woot!

Awfully big box for a 9" rail...especially when put into an even bigger box surrounded by bubble wrap. Clearly use the same box for all lengths of their handguards with, or without the mounting hardware included (optional). At least their stuff shows up in good condition!

Almost everything for the new version of the primary (300BLK) upper for this build. Dogs are convinced it's another dog food delivery (bi-monthly delivery from Amazon showed up just prior to this).

Bootleg lightweight upper and 9.4" Picmod (keymod built into picatinney rails)
    V7 lightweight port door and door rod (I'll swap in a black spring from my spares)
    BCM 9" fluted 300BLK barrel from the previous iteration of this build
    V7 titanium KMR barrel nut and titanium shims (with new BCM cross bolts)
    AAC 51T flash hider...had to use a couple shims to time it properly.
    Next Intent adjustable titanium gas block
    V7 inconel pistol-length gas tube
    Arisaka key mod finger stop
    Arisaka key mod 45 degree Surefire scout light mount
    V7 charging handle

Keen observors will note the new (to me) Boomfab titanium stripped bolt carrier. Was finally able to source a black one for this build... Gas key still hasn't arrived (missing from a shipment from Fail Zero with parts from another build), so I'll get the weights with the same gold-colored (TiN) one waiting to go into the 2A Arms lightweight build still in progress. Both have BCM bolts and V7 titanium firing pins.

And back in January the Falkor Optimus buttstock became something other than vaporware!

As expected, this setup weighs a bit more than the BAD Sabertube, carbine spring and buffer:

Clever design... wedge block(s) hold the QD attachment/guide into the lower, so no need for locktite:

...but I used a thin film of blue locktite anyway. Snug fit for the buffer tube, thankfully they include a provision for a 1/4" hex key in the back to tighten the buffer tube on:

I like to use an old pair of hemostats from work to hold the buffer retainer in case it goes flying...harder to pop out, but easier to find if it does!

Stock looks good and this iteration only gained 3.7 ounces over the original build...albeit without BUIS, but with the Arisaka Scout light mount missing from the previous iteration. Extra weight is behind the center of gravity though, so the rifle feels more nimble despite the added weight.

Happy with the overall look and gained just over an inch of LOP too:

This upper will get Leitner-Wise esights instead of the Bobro adjustable sights on the 5.56mm upper.

10 internet points to anyone who can identify why I've taken to calling this build "Jimmy" instead of "James"...

Jimmy gets his new (to me) Boomfab bolt carrier and accoutrements. yeah, yeah...finally off work for a couple days and promise I'll get around to cleaning my work bench!

Boomfab bolt carrier
    Bravo Company bolt (not shown in pic above)
    V7 improved cam pin
    V7 titanium firing pin
    Fail Zero NiB gas key

Lucy's impressed...or maybe just thinks it's a milk bone!

Giving me the disappointed look...

Black carrier definitely looks better on this build...the original "gold" (TiN) carrier will go into the next lightweight build in progress where the color will better match the Cerakote finish on that one.

I took a huge leap of faith...and got Jimmy back down to 4# 9.6 oz. with the finger stop and light mount but without sights, mag, etc.

Turned out a lot better than I expected and pics when I get it back from having it Cerakoted. Added bonus: All logos, etc. will be gone and this rifle will be all matte black!

In the meantime, here's a teaser:

Who knew Bootleg made a 7" rail?

Oh yeah, they don't!

:shock:
    Last edited by 91Eunozs; 02-19-17 at 03:06.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Much cleaner cuts on the other side...who knew that an end mill can cut a straighter line than a dremel in one hand, and whatever you're cutting in the other?! :crazy:

Took another leap of faith and disassembled the Falkor butt stock folding mechanisms to take it in to get Cerakoted along with the handguard and lower. Will do the upper as well to ensure it all matches, even though I'm not really trying to lose any logos on that piece...just want it all to be a uniform, clean matte black.

Wish I'd taken pictures while disassembling the Falkor butt stock...very impressed with the engineering that went into it. It takes a lot of work to make something as simple as possible. Very straightforward and clever mechanism design. The locking tabs on the sides are pretty small, so clearly I'm not gonna be bashing in any zombie craniums with the stock fully extended, but that's not really the purpose of a PDW stock now is it?

Already pressed the roll pin back in for the two pieces of the Falkor buttstock, but here they are back from the Cerakoter:

Nice thin coat of Armorer's black, done with as little hardener as they were comforable with and still be tough enough to take some hits to get the matte finish as non-shiney as possible. Nice work by Custom Cerakote in Converse, TX if you're in the San Antonio area.

Nice coverage on the bare metal where I machined an inch and 1/2 off the Bootleg hand guard.

...and reassembled:

And why I had to bubba-fy the lower receiver:

Can't tell in this pic, but there is a very slight difference in color between the Armorblack Cerakote and type-II black anodizing on the BAD 5.56 upper receiver, but you wouldn't notice it if you weren't looking for it...more importantly, no bright white logos anywhere!

5#, 4.5 oz. with the 5.56 upper...with Bobro BUIS, Arisaka finger stop and Arisaka Scout light mount, but no optic, nor light for this weight:

The 5.56 upper will eventually get this barrel when the group buy gets enough orders. I don't normally hang out over there, but joined ARF.com solely to get in on this group buy...anyone looking for a barrel for an ultra lightweight build (pistol or SBR of course) should get in on this. Ulterior motive is to get my damn barrel faster of course so step to it y'all!

Primary configuration with the 300BLK upper is 4#, 8.6 oz...Arisaka finger stop included at this weight but the Arisaka Scout light mount isn't mounted here and I'm still waiting for the Leitner-Wise eSights to be available again.

Both uppers still need red dots, but I need to save my pennies for a couple months before making those purchases...one will get an Aimpoint T2 and Fortis F1 mount (likely the 300BLK upper), and the other will get a Trijicon MRO with a BAD mount.

Will post new pics with the lights mounted on both uppers (Arisaka 300 bodies and mounts, Malkoff E1T heads and Surefire tail caps), and I still need to get it out to the ranch for some ops tests and as parts come in...still waiting for the Thunderbeast Ultra 5CB can to become available again.

Already shopping for the pelican case for this one...need something compact, but thick enough to house the second upper, cleaning kit and a second drum mag under the top layer that will have the primary configuration only. Maybe... Will post pics when I decide and get the foam cut...again, that will be after I have the optics and can so it'll be a while.

In the meantime, I'm pretty stoked to run this one through some drills...the light weight and compact configuration really makes it a joy to handle.

Until next time...

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Nice write up and photos.

You call him Jimmy- after James Bonds first cuz from Arkansas?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast