Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First AR--what all do I need?

Feedback Score

First AR--what all do I need?

OK. I'm deploying to Afghanistan for a year starting in Jul next year and will be issued a M4. In consideration of this deployment along with other factors, I decided to purchase a similar weapon for home defense/fun/familiarization. I've basically decided to go with a Noveske low profile N4.

As my first AR, what else do I need? Case, magazines, cleaning supplies, etc?

Also, what about its trigger? It's set b/n 5 to 8 lbs whereas others are set around 3lbs. Should that concern me?

Thnx!

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grimloktt View Post
    OK. I'm deploying to Afghanistan for a year starting in Jul next year and will be issued a M4. In consideration of this deployment along with other factors, I decided to purchase a similar weapon for home defense/fun/familiarization. I've basically decided to go with a Noveske low profile N4.

As my first AR, what else do I need? Case, magazines, cleaning supplies, etc?

Also, what about its trigger? It's set b/n 5 to 8 lbs whereas others are set around 3lbs. Should that concern me?

Thnx!
    Welcome to the forum. The Noveske AR is a good choice.

Things to get:

1. Flashlight
    2. Sling (BFG Vickers)
    3. Mags (Magpul PMAG)
    4. Cleaning kit
    5. Lube (machine gunners lube and or weapon shield)
    6. Ammunition
    7. Optic (Aimpoint, EOTech, Trijicon)
    8. Training

Combat triggers should generally either be single stage (5-8lbs) or QUALITY two stage (around 4-5LBS). You do not want 3LBS single stage triggers on a combat weapon.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Welcome to the forum. The Noveske AR is a good choice.

Things to get:

1. Flashlight
    2. Sling (BFG Vickers)
    3. Mags (Magpul PMAG)
    4. Cleaning kit
    5. Lube (machine gunners lube and or weapon shield)
    6. Ammunition
    7. Optic (Aimpoint, EOTech, Trijicon)
    8. Training

Combat triggers should generally either be single stage (5-8lbs) or QUALITY two stage (around 4-5LBS). You do not want 3LBS single stage triggers on a combat weapon.

C4
    Thank you. I actually left a message at your # to call me back earlier today in reference to this purchase. I forgot to add that I'll likely be going with a Comp M2 or M3 Aimpoint--not sure of what base to go with...maybe the AMD? Oh, and I'll be getting military training...

Feedback Score
    I'd strongly recommend ammo & professional training from the likes of Larry Vickers or Pat Rogers. Good luck.

Feedback Score
    ammo and lots of mags ----- p-mags, usgi,

Feedback Score
    pmags pmags pmags

Feedback Score
    did you just enlist or something? buying a Noveske is a good way to spend some of that signing bonus money

i'd hold off on an optic until you are sure exactly what kind of optic you want and until you have and are already well stocked up on magazines and ammo.

the most important pieces of gear you need to get are:

MAGAZINES!!!!! PMags or *quality* USGI mags (Labelle, D&H, DSG)

Ammo (PRVI M193 & 75 Match HPBT make great practice ammo)

a sling (VTAC, VCAS, Urban ERT, Gear Sector)
    TUEBOR

Feedback Score
    No, I've been in for a while but my career didn't demand front-line type involvement until these last couple yrs. Due to events, the demand for my type outside the wire has developed.

The Aimpoint will be similar to what I'll be issued.

Where can I order an inexpensive case of ammo? I shoot factory reloads for my pistols...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    consider a rail and VFG setup also. +1 on the classes...you will get to know what you do/don't like and what works/doesn't work for you.

Boltgun

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    magazines

sling

Then I'd add the red dot sight (RDS) and light of your choosing. The Aimpoint T-1 (on a riser like the Larue or the ADM) is popular right now, as is the Surefire X300. If you're going with the Recce N4 then I'd look at the Aimpoint M4s and the new Surefire Scout.

As for ammo, I'm cheap and shoot Wolf without issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast