Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does 12ga birdshot behave just like a slug at close range?

Feedback Score

Does 12ga birdshot behave just like a slug at close range?

https://youtu.be/T26cV_M_oAE

I've had several people tell me that at "close range" birdshot is fine for defense because it all hits in a single mass and acts like a slug. That's obviously stupid but hey, why not? Let's see what happens. I place the barrel of my shotgun a few inches from the gel block to see if it's possible for birdshot pellets to penetrate adequately when they impact together.

Also, because I can't get enough of that TSC:

Feedback Score
    Right on. Try 3-4 from a "slam fire" shot gun like a Winchester 93/97/12, Ithaca 37 or Stevens 520/620. There is no way to get more lead in the air in a hurry in a short space than a "slam fire" shotgun. Hold trigger, work pump handle.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. I just heard this recently, again. I don't know why some people think physics changes if you're "close enough". How the hell doe the shot know how far it is? Maybe they don't know how a wad works?

Anyway, only thing I caught was you mispoke and said the largest shot should be #4, but I knew what you meant.

Feedback Score
    Derp. I'm retarded.

Feedback Score
    Neat. Enjoyed it.

After seeing #4 buck only partially perforate a 6 inch wide nuisance animal at close range I wouldn't recommend it.
    I wouldn't fault someone for choosing #1 buck but I prefer 00, 000, double ball or slugs.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The only GSW I've seen with birdshot was a calf and shoulder shot, same guy. Nothing deep, but the parts looked like hamburger, if they hit vitals close to the surface it may cause an issue. The circumstances were funny though and I would've loved to see a video if it existed. Fight at the entrance of a townhome-about a 6'x6' area, one guy dancing madly as the other unloaded the riot gun with 9 rounds of bird at him-hit him twice. It must've looked like the Matrix on steroids.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    The only GSW I've seen with birdshot was a calf and shoulder shot, same guy. Nothing deep, but the parts looked like hamburger, if they hit vitals close to the surface it may cause an issue. The circumstances were funny though and I would've loved to see a video if it existed. Fight at the entrance of a townhome-about a 6'x6' area, one guy dancing madly as the other unloaded the riot gun with 9 rounds of bird at him-hit him twice. It must've looked like the Matrix on steroids.
    I treat someone shot at close range with birdshot about once per year (~10 cases in my career). All have been discharged from the emergency department.

FWIW, there are cases of delayed embolization of pellets that were presumably swept up by the lymphatics and delivered to the RV.

https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article.../66_7_707/_pdf

I believe that the lawyer Dick Cheney shot had this complication.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I can think of three significant variables in any experiment with bird shot: size of shot from the very small #9 to the very large #2; weight of shot charge; and velocity of shot charge. Unless the experiment controls these, no valid conclusions can be drawn and no inferences made. However, I advocate buckshot and never encourage the other choices. For conversational purposes, my guess is that a heavy load with #2 through #6 at maximum velocity would be lethal at point blank range, and the larger the shot load, the higher the probability of the statement being true. This statement is opinion.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Make a couple of slices around the shell and try the test again.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    Make a couple of slices around the shell and try the test again.
    So make a splastic slug and see if it performs like shot?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast