Thread: Visible Laser Input Needed- Lasermax Unimax Vs Crimson Trace CMR-206

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)

Visible Laser Input Needed- Lasermax Unimax Vs Crimson Trace CMR-206

Looking at acquiring a visible green laser.
    I've read everything I can find- there is very little *actual* info out there on either of these (even their red counterparts). I cannot believe how utterly useless the internet can be sometimes. Or, actually I should say, the people on it....

So, per title, there's 2 in the running:

Lasermax Uni-Max Green Pic. Rail Mount LMS-UNI-GVP
    http://www.opticsplanet.com/lasermax...VP-LMS-UNI-GVP

Crimson Trace Universal Rail Mount CMR 206 Green
    http://www.crimsontrace.com/products...oducts/01-4620

I'm leaning pretty hard toward the CT, because I do not necessarily need a momentary tape switch on this (or at least, I don't need *another* on this gun), and it's CT- if it craps out I hear their CS is pretty good. Also, it's significantly cheaper....

OTOH, I like the flatness of the Lasermax, and there seems to be some internet jabber that their beam may be a little crisper/more powerful/more visible than the CT unit. It *seems* I can also disconnect the tape switch from the unit if I don't want to use it.

CONS- What I've seen so far leads me to seriously question the overall durability or waterproofness of either....
    -I've heard a few varying reports about the overall fit and finish of the Lasermax, namely battery cover and screws.
    -I've heard some internet jabber that the small "wing" activation levers on the CMR may be susceptible to snapping off if not mounted to a pistol. (some guy on AR15 actually made a neat mod to prevent this).

Requirements:
    -Needs to be durable enough to handle bumps in car, occasional drops from shoulder height and/or back of car height onto hard surface, recoil/muzzle blast on a short barrel 556.
    -Needs to hold zero under said conditions, needs to be visible in daylight between 20-30 yds, needs to be waterproof enough to survive rain, or a water spill.
    -Needs to mount to picatinny rail.

I think both will fit the daylight visibility requirements, I just need input on which is the better buy from a durability/reliability/fit & finish perspective.
    Anyone here have experience with either?

Caveats:
    > I'm well aware of the limitations of visible lasers (hence the green requirement)
    > Currently, this does seem to be a "need" not just "help me blow $200"
    Last edited by Jellybean; 12-03-16 at 17:23.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    32 (97%)
    I've had both, just in the IR version for my PVS 14. Get the crimson trace. The Crimson Trace has an auto shutoff feature and I like the switch much better. I've had it 3 years. No issues with it not holding zero. It's been wet but I haven't had in monsoon like rain. For two years it was mounted at 12 o clock in front of a DD fixed rail mounted sight and protected by a SF G2 in a Viking tactics mount adjacent to it. For the last year it's been mounted on the side rail where its a little less protected. Its definitely not a Laser Devices DBAL or OTAL tough.

Pics inbound.

Well this pic has a SF Fury in a thorn tail mount which wasn't there long.

No issues with it mounted this way yet but it's surely not as protected.
    Last edited by Caeser25; 12-11-16 at 12:14.
    I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. - John Adams

The AK guys are all about the reach around. - Garand Thumb.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    CT.

Had both, the CT makes the Lasermax seem like something for airguns.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Update;

Pre-replies here (thanks for the input guys), I decided to "F it" and just get one. Optics planet had a deal on the CT that was to stupidly awesome to not pass up, so I got the CT.
    Looks like I guesstimated the right choice.

That being said, there is no way this thing is (seriously) waterproof.....
    But I too liked the idea of the auto-off, since this it's going on a bag/vehicle gun.

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Did you get the model with the pulse mode?

I didn't release my green one had it at first (for like months actually) until I just held in the paddle and it activated, it made the laser much more eye catching and I'm kicking myself for not releasing it sooner.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I'm assuming whichever modes the CMR-206 is stated to have is what it has.
    I have not played with changing the modes yet, just turning it on and off as usual for preliminary testing and zeroing.