Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mk262 vs Mk318.....which is more lethal?

Feedback Score

Mk262 vs Mk318.....which is more lethal?

I know Mk262 has a higher BC and should fly better, and that Mk318 is superior for shooting through light barriers, but which one would M4C say is more lethal on a two-legged threat? No barriers involved, let's say out to 300m.

One other thing: I noticed when looking at a picture of the Mk318 pulled bullet that it looks a lot like the Barnes all-copper one. Does the Mk318 leave excessive copper fouling like the Barnes bullets?
    Last edited by ABNAK; 12-04-16 at 12:40.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    I know Mk262 has a higher BC and should fly better, and that Mk318 is superior for shooting through light barriers, but which one would M4C say is more lethal on a two-legged threat? No barriers involved, let's say out to 300m.

One other thing: I noticed when looking at a picture of the Mk318 pulled bullet that it looks a lot like the Barnes all-copper one. Does the Mk318 leave excessive copper fouling like the Barnes bullets?
    Mk 318 has better terminal ballistics due to its shorter neck length before fragmentation. As far as effectiveness out to 300m, mk318 will upset down to 1900-2000 fps vs mk262 which needs ~2300 fps to fragment so it would depend on your barrel length.

The reason barnes TSX copper fouls excessively is because its a pure copper bullet. Mk318 I believe uses a gilding metal jacket so it shouldnt copper foul as much.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Short answer I would pick the MK318 of your two choices, Ive seen what the projectiles (reloads) will do to a large whitetail, haven't tried with a SMK of any weight purely because its a projectile designed first and foremost for accuracy, not terminal performance. I have found the Speer Gold Dot offerings are cheaper per round (at all bullet weights) with better availability than MK318, and also perform well on medium game. Not really a fair comparison between whitetail and people, but we don't have a human rifle season to try it out either.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Mk 318 has terminal performance on par with the best contemporary high-performing commercial ammunition types. I would not at all hesitate to use it in my personal guns for 5.56 tasks.
    Mk 262 Mod 0 is pretty good for SPR tasks, but if I want something to go down fast from non-CNS hits, I have more faith in Mk 318 type projectiles.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Mk 318 has terminal performance on par with the best contemporary high-performing commercial ammunition types. I would not at all hesitate to use it in my personal guns for 5.56 tasks.
    Mk 262 Mod 0 is pretty good for SPR tasks, but if I want something to go down fast from non-CNS hits, I have more faith in Mk 318 type projectiles.
    That is a very interesting tidbit, thanks.

Will M855 and Mk318 generally shoot to the same POA? They're both 62gr, but of course the BC is probably different.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    That is a very interesting tidbit, thanks.

Will M855 and Mk318 generally shoot to the same POA? They're both 62gr, but of course the BC is probably different.
    In my experience, no, but that's a super variable. Different lots, different guns, different precision criteria, etc.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    i have found that mk318 shoots to nearly the same POA as federal xm193 55gr i all my barrels (5 or 6 that ive tested) out to 50 yds. 300 might have different results.

some of my barrels are more accurate that others with it.

Feedback Score
    Is there a preferred or recomended source for MK318 for civilians?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cd228 View Post
    Is there a preferred or recomended source for MK318 for civilians?
    Yeah. I don't know a thing about the round. 262 is nice because you can clone it (fairly closely) at home and save some money.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Yeah. I don't know a thing about the round. 262 is nice because you can clone it (fairly closely) at home and save some money.
    Mark, what powder/primer combination do you use

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast