Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Everything crappy about the: AK-47/74

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Remember guys, I created this thread to be a collection of (reality based) complaints--not an indictment of the AK system. Everybody knows Ak's are awesome so there is no need to defend it vs other rifles.
    I still don't buy into most of the complaints floating around in this thread as being reality-based.

Some things suck. Not getting a cleaning rod all the way through the gun sucks. Not having a very lefty-friendly gun sucks. Not having consistency amongst or even within manufacturers sucks. But most complaints that have to do with running the gun can be alleviated with even the most modest amount of training time. At least that's been my experience...
    Last edited by Uprange41; 02-05-17 at 20:07.

Feedback Score
    Remember guys, I created this thread to be a collection of (reality based) complaints--not an indictment of the AK system. Everybody knows Ak's are awesome so there is no need to defend it vs other rifles.

It's a seventy year old design. Of course people will have opinions.

7n6
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 02-05-17 at 21:19.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    What are the non reality based complaints?
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    They have what? What issues do AK's have specifically? Not talking about our modern idea of ergonomics- I'm talking about specific issues?
    You know what the issues are...all those things that you have 'work arounds' for. Modern rifles don't need 'work arounds' (or not nearly as many).

70 years ago, it was pretty cutting edge. 70 years on, it's structurally stuck in the past. You can train through/replace parts/workaround those issues, but it doesn't change the fact that there are better solutions on modern designs.

Have a love affair with the AK, but have it because it's an AK... have it because it's historically significant... not because it's the best thing out there. It hasn't been a contender for that title for about 50 years, if it ever was.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    What are the non reality based complaints?
    It's not an AK vs. the world thread, and I'm not going to type out why I think various complaints are invalid, but most of the ones I see about fit, ergonomics, manual of arms, and general comfort all boil down to just going out and training with the rifle, or indulging in the aftermarket options that exist to solve whatever problem someone has.

It's a capable piece of hardware if effort is put forward in developing the software for it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eodinert View Post
    You know what the issues are...all those things that you have 'work arounds' for. Modern rifles don't need 'work arounds' (or not nearly as many).

70 years ago, it was pretty cutting edge. 70 years on, it's structurally stuck in the past. You can train through/replace parts/workaround those issues, but it doesn't change the fact that there are better solutions on modern designs.

Have a love affair with the AK, but have it because it's an AK... have it because it's historically significant... not because it's the best thing out there. It hasn't been a contender for that title for about 50 years, if it ever was.

I have AUG's, FAL's, AR's, HK 91's, AK's in three calibers, and one lonely M1A. I had some SCAR's but didn't care for them- so I got rid of those. For me personally, I prefer my 5.56 SLR-106FR's to everything else I own. Maybe in the future we'll get a modern rifle with advanced ergo's but also with the rugged simplicity of an AK. Rifles I'm excited to see if they can get to market are the HK 433's and the B&T APC556's.

7n6

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213