Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything crappy about the: AK-47/74

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Everything crappy about the: AK-47/74

Hey guys,

I want to assemble a list of legitimate (not necessarily universally accepted) issues and complaints about the AK system. Just real concerns (and even ones that have been addressed by the aftermarket).

I will add to the list as points are made.

I'll get it started...

1. At the very top of the list for me is the lack of elegant optics mounting solutions. The AK's top cover design means you will not be able to mount an optic to the top cover without having a wandering zero. Back when I was heavily into Aks about 10 years ago I really liked the Ultimak, but it was basically a gas tube held stable by screwed on metal half rings attached to the barrel. It worked pretty decent, but it meant your dot was going to be waaaaay forward which limits just how sloppy your head position can be when using it (which is one of the red-dots greatest features in my mind). RS Regulate mounts and the like are apparently pretty good these days, but you still end up with a contraption clamped to the side of your gun with a series of screws and locktite holding your optics over the barrel.

2. Selector switch is a mess. The selector switch on the AK is on the right side and requires a fairly awkward maneuver for anybody not equipped with wookie hands. Krebs came out with a lever with a shelf that helps a bit. But this thing is yucky, even by comparison to other barely post ww2 designs like the Cetme and straight-up garbage compared to the AR.

3. The charging/ bolt handle is awkwardly positioned for most folks. Like the selector, the bolt lever is positioned so that right handed folks have to perform one of a few fairly goofy maneuvers to charge the bolt. The AK12 design, if it ever gets off the ground, seems to have finally fixed this by putting it on the other side and pushing the handle forward.

4. Insane variations in quality. I have been burned, BAD by QC issues in the past. My first AK was a ban-era Mak 90, which was awesome. My second was a ban-era Hungarian FEG AKM, which was awesome (and I had it converted by Jim fuller and I sold it like a DUMBASS). Then I started buying Wasrs and Gps and good lord my shooting buddies have had 74s that wouldn't stabilize anything, I have seen gas tubes just come loose etc. Canted front sight posts, cracking gas levers, loose selectors, tight selectors, random full auto, you name it. And I gather things have gotten worse. Over the years I learned a lot. You can still get a good, relatively cheap AK, but you have to be very careful. I have had two PAP-92 AK pistols. One I bought from a friend after I discovered it shot straight. One I bought online which I had to shift the sight into the next zip code (traded). That being said, I have an EXCELLENT wasr right now that I selected after Clyde's let me look through all their stock.

5. Not particularly accurate. Some folks say it is "combat accurate." It is definitely sufficiently accurate, especially before it gets hot.

6. No bolt hold open.

7. Usually lots of sharp edges.

8. Magazine insertion/reloading is more difficult that the AR-15. Rocking in an AK mag is both more difficult to insert and eject than the AR-15. It can be done well, and certain training workarounds are possible, but it clearly inferior to the AR.

8. Can't get a nice straight shot at the bore from the chamber end, for no-flexin'-da-rod cleaning.

9. Parts replacement can be a problem. Unlike the AR, there really isn't a standard or "mil-spec" reference that everyone can point to, There are endless varieties of parts and many require gunsmith fitting. Barrel replacement is gunsmith only.

9. A. If something actually breaks, you are done. If an AR bolt breaks you can just drop in a replacement. Very little other than grips and stocks and maybe trigger components can be replaced by regular users if they break.

HERESY

I will include my personal contention here that the Ak is not as durable as the M4 carbine. I will take it on faith that it is generally more reliable, but I have just seen too many random parts failures in the allegedly indestructible AK47 rifles compared to ARs. FLAME SUIT ACTIVATED.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Can't get a nice straight shot at the bore from the chamber end, for no-flexin'-da-rod cleaning.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    - Poor ergonomics
    - terrible safety lever
    - lackluster optic mounting options
    - crap iron sights
    - mag release requires use of the support hand
    - non-adjustable gas system (not a huge deal)

The AK just feels crude to me, unrefined, inelegant.

IMO the SIG 550/551/553 addresses all of the AK's shortcomings and is the penultimate product-improved AK.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 12-05-16 at 22:46.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Hey guys,

4. Insane variations in quality. I have been burned, BAD by QC issues in the past. My first AK was a ban-era Mak 90, which was awesome. My second was a ban-era Hungarian FEG AKM, which was awesome (and I had it converted by Jim fuller and I sold it like a DUMBASS). Then I started buying Wasrs and Gps and good lord my shooting buddies have had 74s that wouldn't stabilize anything, I have seen gas tubes just come loose etc. Canted front sight posts, cracking gas levers, loose selectors, tight selectors, random full auto, you name it. And I gather things have gotten worse. Over the years I learned a lot. You can still get a good, relatively cheap AK, but you have to be very careful. I have had two PAP-92 AK pistols. One I bought from a friend after I discovered it shot straight. One I bought online which I had to shift the sight into the next zip code (traded). That being said, I have an EXCELLENT wasr right now that I selected after Clyde's let me look through all their stock.
    This for me is the biggest fault. Just take a look at the AK Operator Union site. A certain rifle is branded as good and later another specimen from same manufacturer is a huge fail. Yes, all guns vary in quality, but it seems to go in extremes for AKs. At this juncture, it is hard to tell what to buy.

Feedback Score
    Barrel replacement requires several hundred dollars worth of gear: a shop press, drill press, end mill bit, drill bit, reamer bit, receiver jig, a lathe if the barrel is too big to fit in the trunnion, and headspace gauges. i.e. It requires a not insignificant level of mechanical ability and it can't be done in a family apartment for lack of space and noise issues.

Adjusting headspace requires either the tools above plus an oversize barrel pin or, in cases of insufficient headspace, precision hand fitment of the bolt lugs is a less desirable possibility.

Bolt replacement (should that be an issue) requires headspace gauges. It may also require a file, sandpaper, and calipers to hand fit certain surfaces to allow proper locking or adjust insufficient headspace without resetting the barrel.

Not as good as other designs at keeping foreign debris out, which can lead to malfunctions.

A broken ejector requires welding and/or fabricating a new ejector to repair.

The design is tremendously more front heavy than other designs, which is a noticeable disadvantage when a suppressor is mounted.

The fixed length stock can be too long for users under 6' tall when used with armor, though there are now aftermarket adjustable LOP solutions for fixed stock and factory sidefolding stocks.

Plus this. A thousand times this.

I'll add that barrel replacement can become an issue in as little as 6000 rounds, depending on ammunition used. This was certainly a shock to me, as I expected at least 20,000 before accuracy became unacceptable.

HERESY

I will include my personal contention here that the Ak is not as durable as the M4 carbine. I will take it on faith that it is generally more reliable, but I have just seen too many random parts failures in the allegedly indestructible AK47 rifles compared to ARs. FLAME SUIT ACTIVATED.
    I'll contend that this is due to quality control issues, not durability. When the parts are made correctly, many parts like the bolt seem to have longer lifetimes compared to the AR15. I'd say durability, not reliability, is the advantage of the AK over the AR15.
    Last edited by Aries144; 12-05-16 at 23:09.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Manufacturing consistency and a lack of selector options for ambidextrous use. The SAM7SF sort of addresses that, though, which is a good thing. I can run any AK just fine right-handed, but if I transition to the left shoulder, it turns into a pain in the ass to manipulate the selector.

Beyond that, I have no complaints with the AK. Much like my take on the AR, I really just don't buy into most of the complaints levied at the AK.

Feedback Score
    Must just be you, I've got none of those problems.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My issues with the AK are the same as with the AR. I'm a lefty so....
    - both safeties suck although the AR is slightly better.
    -Both mag releases require use of support hand.
    -Charging handles are fine.
    -Ergonomics don't feel any different and I hate the thin grips on both guns. The most ergonomic rifle I've had is the VZ58 .... followed by probably the FAL
    -Optic mounts are fine too. Whether it's mounted on top on the AR or on the side of the AK.
    -Both rifles require a chin weld
    -Neither one I'd do my own gunsmithing so tools for barrel changes are irrelevant.

What I really dislike on the AK are the sights. This probably has more to do with my vision but the AR sights give me a better view of the target

I stopped buying AKs because they are AKs a long time ago. What I have left is Arsenal or properly built kits. The only Century product I have left is the Romanian RPK Iraq contract.
    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arik; 12-06-16 at 08:05.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I think most would agree that for all of its flaws/quirks there have been more AK pattern rifles made over the years than any other small arm except for maybe the spear. Most of which are made in what we would all call 3rd or 4th world countries. Not exactly a recipe for Swiss quality or tolerances. Oddly, US made AK's so far have been plagued with more issues than their foreign counterparts. Lets not forget AK rifles where made originally for conscripts and revolutionaries with little or no education and usually less training. They were made to be simple to use and mass produce.

Having said that the AK when compared to many Western designs has plenty of flaws/quirks that have been listed above.

I would add the list the odd and multiple thread patters for muzzle devices. A minor annoyance rather than a flaw.
    AK's do not suppress well. Over gassed by design but generally not suppressor friendly.
    Wide range of magazine tolerances for surplus metal magazines. Due to some many being made from so many different manufactures under sketchy conditions.
    Lack luster triggers. Probably a design compromise more than a flaw.

Currently I only own one Ak.
    Last edited by Fuzzy-Reticle; 12-08-16 at 18:31.
    "Run fast. Shoot straight. Die proud." -Boba Fett

Trample the weak. Hurdle the dead.

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems." -Ryan Job

Feedback Score
    Nice pic Horse, I use your rail on my ak.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast