Thread: Low light/no light defensive handgun training

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Low light/no light defensive handgun training

I'll be attending a defensive handgun course focusing on low light and night shooting. This will be my 3rd class for pistol but my first really geared towards night shooting. I'm just a regular civilian and gun enthusiast, so no real formal or combat style of training.

I do conceal carry AIWB and the holsters I do have if OWB are non light bearing. I'll be needing acquire a holster for the course and would like some feedback on if I should get one IWB or OWB. I like the idea of training with something with more real world use for me, hence the IWB.

Those of you who have attended a similar course I would appreciate any feedback you have on how to better equip and prep myself for the class. I'm comfortable wth my glock 17, vp9, and my newer Sig legion p226 i can run for this class. I have a couple x300U's and an xC1 needed a dedicated holster for. I'm thinking of the glock 17 with an X300 and the vp9 with an xc1, style of holster pending....

Thank you and train safe

Iflylo

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Take your current EDC equipment, and have the supplemental stuff like a weapon light, handheld light, and holster that can accommodate a WML so you can see the pros/cons of both; particularly since you appendix carry.

It's more beneficial to learn the limitations of your current set up and use this training opportunity to gain exposure to these new techniques so you can see how they could apply to you. I'd go in with exactly what I have now, but have the extra shit on standby so I could A/B and learn from it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Run your current equipment for the course. If you intend to carry a WML on your defensive pistol, purchase a holster that will accommodate the way you will carry most of the time.

Dry fire as much as possible and practice presenting your pistol to the target with your new holster. After you have ensured the weapon is empty, cock it, holster it, then present it to the target dry firing one shot. Reset, then repeat the exercise as many times as you can stay focused on proper technique. If the low/no light course will involve shooting on the move, dry fire practice while moving. Dry fire using both hands to grip the pistol, right hand only and left hand only.

Go to the range and perform live fire exercises in lighted conditions until you feel comfortable. Live fire using both hands, your right hand only and your left hand only, to sharpen your skills. If you are proficient in a lighted environment prior to attending the class, you will get more out of the low/no light course.
    Last edited by T2C; 12-06-16 at 15:15.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I appreciate the input guys, noted and will work on just this. I've place an order with JM Custom kydex for if I need the OWB, it didn't break the bank. But yes I feel training with how I am on the daily will be more beneficial. Again, thank you for strengthening my thought process.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Great advice all around. Also contact the instructor though. I took a low light course once that was based primarily on handhelds. Instructor wasn't opposed to WMLs, but structured the class on the idea that average Joe's should be proficient with handhelds. You just want to make sure you get the most out of your time and money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If the instructor allows it, carry how you carry. Training with YOUR gear shows you where YOUR weak points are. For example, at our night course we see a lot of people use a WML but none of them actually carry a WML except for the night shoot.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Did the instructor or one of his staff provide a list of equipment you should bring? What is on the list?
    Train 2 Win