Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: PSA 20" Freedom Kit review pre-shooting

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by williejc View Post
    The term gun snob makes me flinch. I start thinking about the many times that I've heard statements like paying for the name when buying a Smith or Beretta product instead of a Taurus product. As a many decades long handgunner, I know better and can explain the differences using correct technical facts. But I became weary and wore down and quit entering these discussions. For us dirt clod and stump shooters, any AR brand will suffice, but we need to reconcile ourselves to the fact that top tier AR's will perform at higher levels without parts breakage and with lower malfunction rates. So, a simple way to explain differences is in terms of probability of performing at desirable levels.

I love my Expanse upper/Smith lower hybrid. One reason is that I paid too much money for the combination. Another is that it shoots great. Another is that I have convinced myself that the upper has all Colt parts. Another is that I'm stuck with it anyway. Emotionally I feel better now that I love it. Such is the workings of human psychology.

I spent a career explaining the same thing over and over again to people who weren't listening to begin with. I had patience and good manners and only got mad and kicked the trash can or threw my chair against the wall a couple times. Perhaps we here should be a tad kinder to misdirected, misguided, or uninformed souls.
    WC,

You make a lot of good points about psychology and the impact that patience and good manners have. I feel I've let you down in that respect, but that is another story. Pertaining to this conversation, we've talked back and forth about armoring different weapons.

One of things that I've noticed is that some armorers tend to get a little bit protective of their turf and position as armorers. Back in the days of revolvers, most LE armorers would just go absolutely bonkers if an officer went inside the side plate of a revolver, most of the time with good reason. In those days an LE armorer was more of a gunsmith than a parts replacer.

In today's world, with the increasing modularity of pistols and AR pattern rifles, there is little actual 'gunsmithing' to be done. It is basically assembly of parts. Not to say it is simple, but the build process is not particularly complex for a general purpose rifle.

As a result, more people, with differing motives can play and feelings get ruffled.

Stoner was a brilliant engineer, but he had the advantage of better manufacturing technology and following genius's such as John C. Garand and Mikhail Kalashnikov.

The AR system is beautiful in it's simplicity and modularity. Those features, as well as the availability of aftermarket accessories is what inspires folks to build their own.

What folks are loath to acknowledge is that in today's world the acumen to manufacture quality AR parts is, if not commonplace, certainly not rare. Companies such as Connecticut Spring and Stamping manufacture springs and stamps for a wide variety of products, from medical devices to firearms parts. I'm sure they are one of the manufacturers that supply many of the springs we find in our LPK's and rifles.

Nothing magic, just manufacturing parts and assembly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    If we follow the logic of cheap AR's to bet our lives on, why do we not do it do for our concealed carry guns???
    C4
    Serious answer, primarily cost. A good quality pistol generally goes out the door for less than the rifles that are generally out of favor in these threads.

Second serious answer - you'd probably be surprised what was carried if folks started selling bare Glock, M&P, etc. frames for the cost of a PSA stripped lower. Seriously, pistols aren't as modular as the AR platform, although a lot of folks waste money on unneeded parts - extended slide stops and mag releases come to mind.

ETA: changed a sentence that I couldn't understand, and I wrote it.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 02-24-17 at 23:22.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    I recently pieced together a 500$ PSA freedom rifle. 16" le all magpul furnature. After building a few rifles that cost 3000$ before optics or lights I wanted to experience the opposite end of the spectrum.

Gun shot surprising well. I expected a fail o matic. For the very limited few mags I put through it to function test it worked.

The bad. I ordered a lower parts kit that was meant to have a Plated trigger. It was not. Additionally the way the safety selector was machined it feels like it has a third position between safe and fire. It's from burs in the path for the dentent.

PSA said they would send a trigger and safety 8 weeks later nothing. I'm not expecting anything to show at his point. I'm confident their customer service is crap and they just don't care.

Inside of the upper receiver looks un anodized. PSA said it's a dry film, idk seems like bs to me. After shooting it looks the same. Nothing I have even seen before.

I got the PSA 16" midlength 1-7 nitride MOE rifle kit in January on sale for $399 and added a complete lower from a manufacturer in Richmond (LMG) because I want to support the local upstart.

Like you, I expected a jam-o-matic, but while the very first round needed a forward assist in order to lock the bolt, it has worked flawlessly ever since. With a round count of 290, that doesn't mean squat, but it's encouraging. I bought an upper and lower BCM blems from Grant about 5 years ago and I'll never expect this rifle to keep up with a BCM, but all I wanted was another range toy on the cheap and I figure I got what I paid for.

The BCG is quite rough and the bolt is NOT marked MPI even though they advertise it to be. I plan to buy either a BCM or a Young BCG and keep the PSA BCG as a backup.

I still have the LPK in the factory bag, figuring to use it in some build later down the road and I appreciate you bring the rough parts to my attention and Grant's response as well.

As an aside, I'll be attending the AR-15/M-16 Armorer Course at Academi in less than two weeks and I'm really looking forward to it. I've been shooting these things for nearly 42 years and now I will be learning more than just first echelon care and feeding.
    NRA RSO
    USPSA RO
    SASS RO-I & RO-II
    Certified Black Powder Artillery (Maryland)

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Serious answer, primarily cost. A good quality pistol generally goes out the door for less than the rifles that are generally out of favor in these threads.

Second serious answer - you'd probably be surprised what was carried if folks started selling bare Glock, M&P, etc. frames for the cost of a PSA stripped lower. Seriously, pistols aren't as modular as the AR platform, although a lot of folks waste money on unneeded parts - extended slide stops and mag releases come to mind.

ETA: changed a sentence that I couldn't understand, and I wrote it.
    I guess it could be cost, but "generally" people have enough sense. We do see the Bersa/HP/SCCY pistol crowd, but they are smaller than imagined.

When it comes to AR's, it seems that same "sense" goes out the window. Odd...

C4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    I guess it could be cost, but "generally" people have enough sense. We do see the Bersa/HP/SCCY pistol crowd, but they are smaller than imagined.

When it comes to AR's, it seems that same "sense" goes out the window. Odd...

C4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Again, this will be a general reply to a number of your, and others, recent comments. In particular I'll address two points.

The first applies particularly to a number of your comments, but others can be guilty as well. Maybe it's not intentional on your part, and it my seem lazy for me to repeat portions of my last post, but you seem to have an affinity for non sequiturs. I get it, they are one of the more effective logical fallacies; as they require some rough elements of truth. In this specific instance, it's found in the "pistols and rifles" argument.

Assumption 1 - Cheap (inexpensive) pistols are equal to cheap ARs

Assumption 2 - Cheap pistols are not reliable, or chosen, for self defense

Conclusion- Cheap ARs are not reliable, and shouldn't be chosen, for self defense

This logic is flawed on multiple levels. First, the assumptions are inaccurate. Reliability of a firearm is drawn from design and configuation of the components. For pistols, the designs and configurations vary. Sure, the basic function of an auto loading pistol is going to be the same across brands. But one can't take an M&P slide and slap it on a Glock frame. Very few parts are interchangeable between models and brands. So, your attempt to correlate pistols to the AR platform simply doesn't play. What makes the AR platform inherently reliable are the same elements necessary with pistols; the design of the platform and configuration of the parts. While pistol components largely cannot be swapped, the exact opposite is true for ARs. As an example, suppose we had an Armalite AR from the 90s and a Stag fresh off the assembly line today. One by one, we could swap just about every component between the rifles; and both would still function.

The second assumption also takes some liberties that may not be correct. What makes a pistol cheap? And of the pistols that would fall into that category, are they all unreliable? Given the specific brands you call out when referencing "cheap" pistols, it seems that price is basically the primary variable. So, let's start with a good pistol; Glock. Ballpark pricing is around $500. One of their biggest competitors is S&W; and most would agree that they're rough equals in reliability. S&W pistols, like the Sheild and M&P, often sell in the $300-$400 range; or 20-40% less than the cost of a Glock. We could do the same cost comparisons with models from Brands like Ruger, Springfield, etc., but the point would remain the same. Now, your claim that people don't choose these brands and models for defensive carry is untrue. There are plenty of instances where individuals have used these examples in defensive situations; and they performed as required. Having identified what makes a pistol qualify as "cheap", let's apply the same formula to rifles. I'll use Colt, as they're the "standard" you'd likely site. They run about $1000. Thus, "cheap" rifles would be those in the $600-$800 range. Models from brands like PSA, Ruger, Wyndham, and S&W can all be found in this price range. So, people that chose these models and brands, expecting them to be reliable, are no less reasonable than those people who choose the "cheap" pistols.

As evidenced by the sections above, the conclusion you've attempted to draw simply does not hold up to scrutiny. Even if my position differs from yours, regarding what makes a firearm qualify as "cheap", the more important point stands. Given that the AR platform, in terms of functional configuration, is essentially identical across the spectrum of all brands, pistols simply cannot be used as a meter to draw conclusions about ARs.

Now, my second major point regarding this debate boils down to futility. Those taking the position that certain Brands are not worthy will often site lack of evidence, and challenge those holding opposing views to provide data to prove otherwise. Nothing wrong with this. However, the goalposts are continually being moved. It generally goes something like this...

Person A- "You need to take a Class, and then report back."
    Person B - "I did, and it held up perfectly."
    Person A - "Well, what I really meant is that you need to take multiple classes under X conditions."
    Person B - "I did, and it held up perfectly."
    Person A - "Well, you just don't know and it's a sample of one. I've been to every AR factory, have seen the assembly lines and standards, and Company X does so much more than Company Y."

No evidence presented will ever be sufficient. And even when evidence is provided, it often results in the "authority" making claims that amount to "Just take my word for it." If not the "trust me" line, instead they'll use more non sequiturs. Earlier someone mentioned how Travis Haley used a BM overseas, and that it performed in harsh conditions during major firefights. And, it's no secret that plenty of other contractors used bushy ARs during their time in the Middle East. So what was the reply? "Well, Travis didn't choose to run a BM." That point is irrelevant. So what if he didn't chose it. Did it not perform as required? And, if saying Travis didn't choose it somehow proves a point, then shouldn't the decision by his Contracting firm to select BM rifles be of equal merit? Also, I doubt Travis would willingly put his life on the line if he had no faith in BM rifles. And if Blackwater was seeing major failures, I'd have to believe they would have reevaluated their selection.

I could go on, but what's the point. As stated earlier, no amount of evidence would suffice. If, as a community, we purchased 5 Colt ARs and 5 PSA's with the intention of running them through a reliability test, trying to draw conclusions would be futile. If they performed equally, the goalposts would be moved. There'd be claims that the test wasn't hard enough, that it was a fluke to have all the PSAs perform, etc. If the Colt outperformed, many would call it undeniable proof that a PSA cannot perform like a Colt. But if the PSA outperformed the Colt, that same group would say the test isn't statistically significant. It's a complete crapshoot. No matter how big of a sample size. The path of the discussion is so predictable that we could make a flowchart.

TL;DR - More non sequiturs are not the solution. Try again.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't think the question is "Can PSA make a decent gun ?", I think they have proven that they can indeed make a AR-15 that will run with Colt,BCM,DD. If you choose the top shelf "premium" parts AND PSA's QC team actually showed up to work that day you have a pretty good chance of getting something on par with the above mentioned "top tier" brands.

The problem lies in PSA's lousy QC/QA, and the fact that their product line runs the gamut from likely GTG (FN Barreled uppers) to complete garbage (PTAC). So the result is one man's PSA gun (PTAC) is not the same as another man's PSA gun (FN barrel and premium bits). One can't simply say "PSA is GTG" with such wide variance in product quality offered and piss poor QA/QC to boot.

Most people can not be bothered to go into the minutiae of explaining the rube goldberg PSA product line when someone asks "Is PSA any good ?". Its easier to simply answer that they are not as good as other companies like Colt, DD or BCM who don't dilute their brand by offering trash as well as good parts and who have actual QA/QC.

My PSA runs like a sewing machine (after I fixed it) and trust it nearly as much as my BCM stuff (which has never failed). But when my friends ask me about parts and uppers I send them to BCM or Sionics because I don't want to risk them getting some bum shit and having to deal with crappy CS.
    "I pity thou, fools who dost not choose BCM" - King Arthur 517 A.D.

.OlllllllO.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcard600 View Post
    The problem lies in PSA's lousy QC/QA, and the fact that their product line runs the gamut from likely GTG (FN Barreled uppers) to...

How does one recognize a PSA barrel that was made by FN?
    NRA RSO
    USPSA RO
    SASS RO-I & RO-II
    Certified Black Powder Artillery (Maryland)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
    How does one recognize a PSA barrel that was made by FN?
    The description of the upper on the website should say. I believe they used to also be marked FN on the barrel but this may have changed. Only the CHF chrome lined premium barrels were FN produced (or at least explicitly mentioned to be). I have no experience with anything but a nitride freedom upper though.

.OlllllllO.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcard600 View Post
    The description of the upper on the website should say. I believe they used to also be marked FN on the barrel but this may have changed. Only the CHF chrome lined premium barrels were FN produced (or at least explicitly mentioned to be). I have no experience with anything but a nitride freedom upper though.
    I have a loaner rifle that was simply a Premium Mid Lenth and it has the FN stamp on it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    I have a loaner rifle that was simply a Premium Mid Lenth and it has the FN stamp on it.
    My mistake, looks like the standard premium barrels are (were?) also FN. I spent alot of time shopping for my PSA upper and I never saw a non-CHF FN barrel advertised and so I went with the nitride "freedom" instead. Wish I could have gotten one of those.

.OlllllllO.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast