Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: House fire rifle risks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpoe88 View Post
    Lol come on guys �� PSA is a bare minimum company. Wouldn't put them as top tier, but I'd put them as a starting point if someone needed a rifle. Rather have a PSA than nothing. Rather have a PSA than a DPMS. DPMS over Olympic.

Sold all my guns last May. Rebuilding the collection, but kids come first for Christmas
    I wasn't pro or con for PSA, just thought the comment was funny..........................

And I agree with everything you said, especially about the kids. A man with his priorities in the correct place.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Once this thing is running and I have a pistol back in my hands, I'll dig into a custom build.

Feedback Score
    I'd shoot it! I was in a bad house fire today...since I work as a large property claims adjuster. Firearms in a typical "gun safe" will be toast due to the combination of water damage and smoke even w/o high heat. Or...the cost to have a pro restore them would exceed the value, hence non-salvageable anyway. That said, I'm sure that rifle will work just fine cleaned up.
    "The world's a dangerous place – we can help." -www.portlandfirearmtraining.com
    NRA LE Handgun-Shotgun Instructor/Life Member

Feedback Score
    Looking at the pics, it's fine.
    If you look, you will notice your barrel and the little connecting bar for the kns pins have the same appearance. Both are steel.
    I had a guy bring in probably 10guns to go over and do what cleanup I could to them after a house fire. The steel on almost all of them looked like that.
    Notice it's black, with white (or silver, bare steel color). Heat discoloration will be dependent on temp, but would be blue, purple, straw (real bad), etc.
    The temper isn't really changing until you get hot enough to start changing colors, which is hot enough to remove plastic.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpoe88 View Post
    Lol come on guys �� PSA is a bare minimum company. Wouldn't put them as top tier, but I'd put them as a starting point if someone needed a rifle. Rather have a PSA than nothing. Rather have a PSA than a DPMS. DPMS over Olympic.

Sold all my guns last May. Rebuilding the collection, but kids come first for Christmas

You're buying kids before rifles?

I've got both, rifles are waaaaay cheaper than kids!

It's a joke, just a joke…

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I'd throw that gen1 SOPMOD on on arfcom EE and see what those idiots would pay for a stock with "battle scars."

Feedback Score
    As we used to say in my aircraft maintenance days...

"It's good, fly it."

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    Temperatures in a house fire can exceed 1800 degrees, so if it was a really bad fire all the polymer parts would have evaporated. It's likely the rifle in question wasn't in a room or area of the home directly affected by heat/flames. I would be more concerned with it being a PSA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Roger that

That thing did get a little toasty!

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 12-20-16 at 17:24.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123