Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I want to build a battlebelt and would like some advice

Feedback Score

I want to build a battlebelt and would like some advice

I currently only have 1 firearm a Daniel Defense V11.

The belt will be for training and range time. Possibly with me on a hike. The rifle will be turned into more of an SPR type rifle in the future, but for now it is for training is is running slick with just iron sights. Sling is soon in its future.

For the belt I am thinking about the condor one with its suspenders. I am trying to make it a budget one, but that is not lacking in toughness.

I want to be able to carry 6-7 magazines total in pouches that do not have velcro. I currently have 4 30-rnd NATO mags (these are going to be my primary magazines and I want to get more of them), 3 30-rnd pmags, 1 20-rnd pmag and 1 32-rnd DD mag.

I am thinking about the dark angel trauma kit as another denizen of this forum spoke highly of them. I know it is cheaper to make your own kits, but I work in the oil and petroleum industry so my free time is rather short. Should I get a tourniquet? Other suggestions for a medical/trauma pouch?

I will be getting a pistol in the future and want to be able to carry 3 mags for it (1 in the weapon and 2 in pouches on the belt.). The pistol will likely be a Walther PPQ Navy. Possibly suppressed in the future I hope.

Dump pouch suggestions?

I am trying to keep the total cost for the belt with accessories under $300-400 dollars (is that a reasonable limit?).

Any other suggestions for me?

Thanks guys and gals and I hope that you all have a great day!
    Last edited by Rattler5; 10-14-16 at 07:47.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Suggestions? Buy a sling immediately.

Hillary will be elected in like 3 weeks. Do you remember the Crime Bill of 1994? You have nine magazines, and no one is going to be banning battle belts. Buy more magazines with your sling order. How much ammo do you have?

What made you choose a Walther PPQ? Do you shoot it better than say, a Sig P320 or a G19? I can find a Glock 19 Magazine at my grocery store if I look hard enough, where are PPQ mags and what are they going for?

Have you ever tried to carry seven loaded 30rd 5.56 Magazines and 2 loaded pistol magazines and a dump pouch and an IFAK on a belt? I haven't, because 2x2 is already heavy enough. Those are plate carrier/chest rig amounts.

You work in the petroleum industry - is there a pressing need to carry 210 rounds of ammo for your rifle with an IFAK? That is a USMC Grunt loadout in Afghanistan. What are you trying to do with this belt? Even the most intense training classes will not require more than 4 spare magazines.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 10-10-16 at 06:20. Reason: Hillary will win.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Any particular reason you want everything on the belt? I would think a war belt coupled with a chest rig would be a better solution, as trying to carry 6 rifle mags on the belt won't be easy, if you're also planning to carry pistol mags, IFAKs, pistols, etc. on the same belt, and still be able to grab the magazines.

Condor in general is junk; I've never heard any serious user consider them to be durable.

Yes, get a TQ; most of the larger DARKs will come with one anyway. I'll note that getting an IFAK without learning how to use the contents is a terrible plan. It'd be like buying a gun for self-defense, but never actually opening the box up to even touch the gun, except to load the magazine. You'll not know what to do with the components, and you'll be stuck there with what might be exactly what's needed, but with no knowledge on how to use it. FWIW, the TQ is used for any major bleeding of the extremities, so they are a vital part of any FAK, even those that aren't oriented around treating GSWs.

The ATS War Belt is a classic, and not very expensive; however, you'll still need an inner duty belt for it. For magazines, the HSGI Tacos are a popular option; I've used to use ITW FastMags, but have moved away from them due to their incompatibility with Gen3 PMags. If you don't use Gen3 PMags, they are an excellent options. These days, I use the Esstac KYWI on my belt. The BFG TenSpeed pouches are also an interesting option, though they are not as suited for training, due to their all elastic construction, which makes putting mags back in one-handed somewhat difficult. All of those options also have pistol variants.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    Having run multiple battle belt set ups in many classes etc over the years, I would highly discourage trying to run 7 AR mags and 3 pistol mags on a belt. That will be way to heavy and cumbersome, and just isn't necessary for 99.9% of situations you will most likely encounter. Personally, I think 2 AR mags and 2 pistol mags on your belt is plenty (I prefer ITW Fast Mags). I like having a dump pouch to toss empty mags, gloves, etc, and I also carry a handheld flashlight and fixed blade on my belt. I put together a small gunshot specific trauma kit with SOF tourniquet that doesn't take up much space. I would also stay away from condor if you can afford it. I like the VTAC Brokos belt, and it won't break the bank.

One last important note: Once you set up your belt how you want it, I would suggest you run a half mile and do some push ups/sit ups etc with your gear on to make sure nothing falls out and everything is squared away. You'd be surprised how many guys show up to a class with a bunch of gear, and the minute they run more than 5 feet, shit starts falling out or coming off. Doing a little PT with your gear on will let you know pretty quickly what you need/don't need, and what you can arrange better etc. Just my .02
    Last edited by B Cart; 10-10-16 at 12:16.

Feedback Score
    Don't buy anything condor if you have plans on using it in the real world. I second Eurodriver in asking, why do you want to put 7 AR mags plus pistol mags all on this one belt? If you are looking to take some classes what you want to run is extreme overkill. Again it's been said but it's sound advice ... buy a good sling and more mags / ammo. The prices on those two items have the potential to absolutely skyrocket and be perpetually out of stock in the next couple of months. With your proposed budget of $300 - $400 you can get a decent amount of ammo, a few mags, and you might be able to slip that sling in as well that was mentioned. That would be (in my opinion) a much better use of that money right now.

Nice rifle by the way!
    Last edited by tgizzard; 10-10-16 at 17:38.

Feedback Score
    I will probably drop it down to 4 mags then, with 3 on the belt and 1 in the rifle. With 2 pistol mag pouches. Thanks for the feedback.

Also, I see a lot of belts showing a riggers belt, what should I look for in one of those?

As for the Walther I shot it better than the glock and I did not like how the glock handled. I have not shot a sig 320.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattler5 View Post
    I will probably drop it down to 4 mags then, with 3 on the belt and 1 in the rifle. With 2 pistol mag pouches. Thanks for the feedback.

Also, I see a lot of belts showing a riggers belt, what should I look for in one of those?

As for the Walther I shot it better than the glock and I did not like how the glock handled. I have not shot a sig 320.
    Look for a riggers belt that is stiff due to the material, not stiff due to the use of a stiffener. I am pleased with my HSGI.

Feedback Score
    I'm going to go against the grain a bit. It is possible to do that many rifle mags on the belt, but you are going to need an H-harness, and you will have to think about weight distribution. Stacking eight pounds of mags on one side of the belt can be very imbalanced.

For dump pouches, I've always liked Emdom USA. But I've gotten away from dump pouches in favor of a utility pouch (ATS medium upright). I also have an HSGI bleeder kit, but I think it's too small. The DARK is a good option. I've been leaning towards switching the HSGI out for a Chinook Medical TMK pouch.

Also, as far as noise goes- don't overthink it. If you're going for a reload, then noisy velcro probably isn't very high on your priority list. I've used an HSGI taco for the first reload, and then TT mag pouches for the rest.
    Last edited by BrigandTwoFour; 10-10-16 at 23:17.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    I'm going to go against the grain a bit. It is possible to do that many rifle mags on the belt, but you are going to need an H-harness, and you will have to think about weight distribution. Stacking eight pounds of mags on one side of the belt can be very imbalanced.

For dump pouches, I've always liked Emdom USA. But I've gotten away from dump pouches in favor of a utility pouch (ATS medium upright). I also have an HSGI bleeder kit, but I think it's too small. The DARK is a good option. I've been leaning towards switching the HSGI out for a Chinook Medical TMK pouch.

Also, as far as noise goes- don't overthink it. If you're going for a reload, then noisy velcro probably isn't very high on your priority list. I've used an HSGI taco for the first reload, and then TT mag pouches for the rest.
    I am not going to put that many mags on it. I do not like velcro as it picks up everything and makes noise. How securely do the tacos keep the mags in place of you fall?

I am going to be putting an H-harness on the vest. An ATS with H-harness and one of their belts. Which puts it at just over a hundred, so then it is on to magazine pouches, trauma kit, and dump pouch. Also I need to attach a knife to it also. And of course a sling and attachment point for it.
    Last edited by Rattler5; 10-11-16 at 02:16.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Good place to start as you can see what others are doing - https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...rst-line-belts

There is a TON of info on the site about this topic - https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...bine.net&cad=h
    Last edited by themonk; 10-11-16 at 06:54.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast