Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Restrike capable?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Restrike capable?

Not exactly sure what this means. On the Sig web site they say that the 290 is restrike capable in case of a hard primer. Does this mean that you just pull the trigger again to fire? Do striker fire guns have this ability? Or only hammer guns?
    I know of no safe depository of the ultimate powers of the society but the people themselves; and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take it from them but to inform their discretion.

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    It's a useless capability in my opinion. If you are properly trained in basic pistol operation, you should preform an immediate action drill. Tap, rack, assess. Nowhere in my many years of firearms training has anyone attempted to teach me to just keep pulling the trigger if the gun doesn't fire....
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    It's a useless capability in my opinion. If you are properly trained in basic pistol operation, you should preform an immediate action drill. Tap, rack, assess. Nowhere in my many years of firearms training has anyone attempted to teach me to just keep pulling the trigger if the gun doesn't fire....
    Only for a revolver!
    "Guns are like neurosurgeons. When you need one, you need one badly."

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Yes,

Almost all DA/SA hammer fired pistols offer restrike.

A few hybrid striker pistols do as well.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Like Cory said above: If the bullet doesn't go bang the first time, don't keep f***ing around with it. Get it out of there and get a fresh round in. WHICH is EXACTLY what you are doing when you keep pulling the trigger on a revolver...moving on to a fresh chamber.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    I have been told that under stress, while attempting to shoot at speed, it is not uncommon for one to keep pulling the trigger before one processes the fact that the gun is no longer shooting due to a bad/hard primer. In such an instance, a second strike capability may have some use.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    FWIW,

If you have a gun (say a comp pistol or precision rifle) that is not used to or doesn't like harder primers, repeated attempts will ultimately deaden the primer completely and render it incapable of ignition. If you have a single light hit by chance and follow that up with a solid primer strike (or put it in a gun built to fire harder primers/milspec), there is a chance to achieve ignition...a CHANCE. Is that juice worth the squeeze? The argument is that a squeeze of the trigger is "faster" than immediate action. It may be, but when there is an (at best) 50/50 chance for a "click" or "bang" on the second pull, that "time" is now a complete waste. Armchair quarterbacks at work...most likely one's that couldn't work a DA/SA semiauto anyway...

Extolling "second-strike" capability as a desirable feature in a "combat handgun" or as an apt technique is completely stupid.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    I have been told that under stress, while attempting to shoot at speed, it is not uncommon for one to keep pulling the trigger before one processes the fact that the gun is no longer shooting due to a bad/hard primer. In such an instance, a second strike capability may have some use.
    Th vast majority of type one stoppages(no bang when you expected one) are due to unseated magazines which means you either didn't chamber a round to start or you got off one round before the gun failed to load another due to an unseated magazine. Pulling the trigger repeatedly is a waste of time. I don't doubt that you may pull the trigger repeatedly before processing a stoppage while under stress. However a dead trigger is far more informative than one that works while under stress. Auditory seclusion, tunnel vision etc all play against you and having a trigger that functions with a gun/cartridge that doesn't may give you a false sense of "hey I'm chucking lead down range" when in fact you're simply dry firing the shit out of your gun. Your immediate action drill/response should be instinctive and will greatly reduce the possibility of repeated trigger pulling. Second strike capability is a bullshit marketing gimmick.

MM
    Last edited by Mysteryman; 12-07-16 at 16:31.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    Second strike capability is a bullshit marketing gimmick.

MM

The bottom line. Lock the thread.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    I've done this with my USP45. Not under stress, per-say, but just having some fun with a mag dump. I was firing as fast as I could and second-struck a round that didn't go off the first time; it did go off on the second hit and through the rest of the mag I went. I didn't even realize what happened until it was over. I confirmed with one of my buddies.

Just sayin'.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast