Looking for a good pump shotgun for HD.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Maybe a Benelli Nova.

Feedback Score
    18" barrel +6 Capacity

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    870. Especially if you can find a blued police model.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    IAC Hawk 982, cheaper and better made than recent production Rem 870 express models.

Mossberg 500s or 590 SPX if you don't mind the extra length and weight.

Feedback Score
    ok, thanks, that gives me some ideas.

Has the quality of remington gone down as much as some people say?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    From what I've seen, yeah. A few years back I took a tactical shotgun course. I had my Mossberg 590SPX which despite being a little front heavy worked without issue. The vast majority of issues were with multiple student 870s. Weak springs, extractors, and a brand new in box Remington 870 Tactical that could not even properly chamber a round, so it could not even fire out of the box!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If I had my preference I'd say grab a Mossberg 590, new they do seem to work. If you like the 870s, get an older one, or get a parts gun and rebuild it. Depends on your preference on tinkering. And possibly general distaste for big green and there general policies, movements, and other bullshit as of late. I know some who won't do business with them, and for the most part I have my issues with them as well, but I will not argue that an older 870 is a damn nice gun. Still would like an old Police Magnum with rifle sights to put in the safe. Of course as much as I shoot shotgun I would sooner grab an AR for HD. But, for the money I'd buy Mossberg currently.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'd go pawnshopping and buy the oldest, most beat up 870 Wingmaster I could find. Ditto for an older Express - although if you are going to put a mag tube extension on it you will have to take care of the dimples in the mag tube. You can buy used non vent rib barrels at just about an local gun store, generally you can find an 18 or 20 inch police take off.

Personally, I'd buy this 21" barrel - it has a screw in choke for more versatility abd the 21" will let you get a longer mag tube extension without ruining the looks of the shotgun IMO - http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/...arrels/F240333

All this assumes you want to do some add-ons and work yourself.

New, at this point I'd go with a Mossberg 590 not a 500. You need to be aware that my experience is that Mossberg extended magtub springs don't last very long when left fully loaded, so but a good quality after market spring. I wouldn't get the heavy wall 590A1 because of the weight. 590's are generally more reliable and easier to maintain than 500's.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast