Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Best pump shotgun for HD

Feedback Score
    What like most about the pump shotgun is that I can shoot it however I want at my pistol range. This isn't allowed with rifle calibers.

I can shoot, move, practice using cover, shoot with a buddy, (Same time) even practice transitions and shoot steel with shotguns (including slugs) and pistols. But I don't have a regular place to so this with rifle calibers. (Except during the occasional competition)

So because I get to shoot it far more I rely on a pump shotgun for HD.

Low recoil ammo and the short LOP Hogue stock make it actually fun to shoot a shotgun. (Except I normally shoot it without gloves and I've had to instill habits to not burn myself. I honestly could use a heat sheild on the barrel)

With Fiocchi low brass 7/8 oz 1060 fps #7.5 shot it can be fired all day. There is 00 buckshot at about 1100 fps and 7/8 oz slugs at a similar advertised velocity. No reason to beat yourself up while training/practicing.

00 buck at 1400 fps and 1 oz 1400 fps slugs is the hottest stuff I use now. These are just mild 12 guage loads.

What's also nice is should I ever have to use it in earnest I'm not out much when the gun spends years (if I ever get it back) in the Police property warehouse. (I'd miss my weaponlight the most, actually)
    Last edited by Ron3; 06-17-17 at 15:44.

Feedback Score
    I used to swear by my Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader, but now I am a Kel-tec KSG convert. I like the fact of a shorter (as short as possible here in the Communist state of Kalifornia) shotgun with an additional tube of 7+ rounds depending on the load. I have put enough shells through my KSG to trust it with my life.

Feedback Score
    One of my IAC Hawk 782's had an issue...the large rear sight sight assembly ("ghost ring sight) sheared the screws and came off.

The rear sight is all steel (the assembly is heavy) and I'd been finishing off the last of the heavier recoiling ammo I own that day.

I couldn't find replacements and really didn't feel like drilling out the broken screws. I just cut down the tall front sight and now what I have is an 18 inch pump shotgun with a large, easy-to-pick-up front sight blade.

So I lost the ability to aim slugs past 25 yds or so with this one. Ah well. I have another one that's held up so far...

Update: I replaced the screws that mount the rear sight on my other 982. Just M4 type screws. I'll see how they hold up.
    Last edited by Ron3; 08-05-17 at 07:13. Reason: update

Feedback Score
    Either go with a Mossberg 590 military grade gun, lightest possible, or with the parkerized 870p. Watch a video - the Hickock 45 comparison video comes to mind - and see which feature.set you like more.

As mentioned before, the police models have more QC than the express and have almost everything you need. I added a Wilson jumbo safety I'm case it was ever accidentally engaged. The original is tiny.

As for stocks, it's a personal matter unless you are fine with the wood or synthetic it comes with.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaramillo4418 View Post
    As for stocks, it's a personal matter unless you are fine with the wood or synthetic it comes with.
    I agree there, but the Magpul stock does give you a lot of flexibility. Figure it as an honorable mention.

With the variety of shotgun sight options (bead, ghost ring, rifle sights, or even red dot), changing up cheekweld is a very nice ability. Same goes for length of pull.

Feedback Score
    Right, I just mean that the stock is commonly switched out to whatever the user likes most so the one it comes with is not such a big deal unless you are happy with option a or b.

I want to switch out my wood stock set for the Magpul.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910