Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best pump shotgun for HD

Feedback Score
    Add one to the used 870 Wingmaster group. I bought one in great shape for $220 which I sold the (expensive!) gloss stock set and bought used police furniture and a police trade in 18.5" blued barrel. The blued, not parked, barrel came from Apex at $65 and the stock set was $20 (plus $30 shipping) from a mom and pop place in Colorado. The Wingmaster even havs the metal trigger group!

I'm in it quite a bit under $300 all said and done for one totally reliable, rugged pump I have no issue trusting my or any family members life with.

If you want to outright buy one I'd seriously consider an older Winchester model 12. Seven shot tube, walnut and steel. Bomb proof guns.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    870 bolt.

Lame.

1300 bolt.

Rotating locking lugs, cam pin, cam pin track and a carrier. Carrier rides in an aluminum receiver that saves weight while being plenty strong. Where else have we seen this design that scoffs at dirt, grime and debris?

I'm partial to 1300's due to the fact they survive duck hunting. My duck hunting.

One minute a 1300 is an oar, the next it is a shovel dragging my ,somewhat concerned about my predicament, butt out of waste deep lake bottom mud then birds fly over and it's a shotgun.

Bolt design also allows for the "Speed Pump" function. Shooting my well worn 1300 Defender one handed with birdshot works the action back to just before ejection.

When using heavy loads, it'll eject on its own. Throw the pump back forward and you're ready for the next shot.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonny22 View Post
    ok, thanks, that gives me some ideas.

Has the quality of remington gone down as much as some people say?
    Not near as many problems as people say. How many times have you read about a guy with a rough chamber fixing it with a wood dowel wrapped with steel wool? Do you really think steel wool will do anything to the chamber other than clean it? What he fixed wasn't a QC issue it was a dirty chamber but it's all over the internet that the 870 is junk. Are they built the way they were 40 years ago? No but 30 years ago they were $800 shotguns. They are now $300 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Not near as many problems as people say. How many times have you read about a guy with a rough chamber fixing it with a wood dowel wrapped with steel wool? Do you really think steel wool will do anything to the chamber other than clean it? What he fixed wasn't a QC issue it was a dirty chamber but it's all over the internet that the 870 is junk. Are they built the way they were 40 years ago? No but 30 years ago they were $800 shotguns. They are now $300 shotguns.
    I'm a Remington lover. I have a great deal of experience with the both the Wingmaster and Express in the LE context. Current and recent past production 870 Expresses do have problems with rough, not highly polished chambers. This combined with inexpensive bulk pack ammo does cause fail to extracts in some shotguns, especially if there is any firing residue in the chamber area. I have seen numerous newer 870's with sparkly clean chambers FTE bulk pack ammo.

I've fixed a bunch of them using bore research flex hones. The temp, sometimes permanent, fix is a stainless steel tornado brush chucked into a drill. You can also use simi-chrome(sp?) or toothpaste on a chamber mop.

Also, I bought my first 870 using paper route money in 1969-70, I can assure you I didn't pay 800.00.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaveammoforme View Post
    870 bolt.

Lame.

1300 bolt.

Rotating locking lugs, cam pin, cam pin track and a carrier. Carrier rides in an aluminum receiver that saves weight while being plenty strong. Where else have we seen this design that scoffs at dirt, grime and debris?

I'm partial to 1300's due to the fact they survive duck hunting. My duck hunting.

One minute a 1300 is an oar, the next it is a shovel dragging my ,somewhat concerned about my predicament, butt out of waste deep lake bottom mud then birds fly over and it's a shotgun.

Bolt design also allows for the "Speed Pump" function. Shooting my well worn 1300 Defender one handed with birdshot works the action back to just before ejection.

When using heavy loads, it'll eject on its own. Throw the pump back forward and you're ready for the next shot.
    First of all, both of these shotguns were originally designed before CNC machining. In my experience, Winchesters generally cost more than Remingtons, I'd imagine largely because of the complexity of the bolt and chamber.

On both bolts notice that on the surfaces that NEED to be polished for function are polished. Obviously not as much needs to be polished on the Remington.

Winchester pumps do pretty much self-eject. They are smooth cycling pump actions. The location of the safety at the front of the trigger guard is better than the Remington, the Mossies are better than both. The Winchester action bar lock/release could be better designed for ease of use, but that is not a big deal for HD in my opinion.

The Winchester may had been popular in LE circles in some areas of the country. In my state during the last 20 years we had a couple of agencies (literally a couple, as in two) that used them, when I retired in June, there were none to my knowledge. To be fair, shotguns are losing favor in LE, more and more agencies no longer put one in every unit.

This isn't intended as a slam, they are good shotguns, Grandpa swore by his Winchesters, they just never caught on in LE. I would not pass on a good looking one.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 12-10-16 at 11:28.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I ran a 590A1 through a shotgun course with no problem. Between it and my plain 500 I would consider either acceptable for HD.

If you are on a budget, a used 500 (or 590) can't really be beat for the cost. I paid $290 new for my 500. Today you should be able to find a used one around $200 if you look around.

Feedback Score
    ok, thanks everybody, a lot of good advice. I appreciate it.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    My pick is Mossberg 590 with 18.5" barrel and a +2 exstention. 7+1 capacity w/18.5" barrel is perfect. I hate the 20"ers.

Feedback Score
    If you don't mind buying and selling used guns get a used Rem. 870 or Moss. 500/590/88 depending on your preferance. Don't pay more than $200. Fix it if it needs it. New 870's aren't worth what they're asking.

If you want something new get a Maverick 88 (I believe Moss 500 parts fit it?) or an IAC Hawk (Norinco 870 clone). Again, don't pay more than about $250.

I've had all of these and haven't had any major problems with any of them.

I don't like the muzzle-heavy balance of a 20 inch (or more) shotgun with a long tube of ammo and extra tube-support bracket. Keep it light, handy and reliable. Stick with an 18.5 inch barrel and five or six shot magazine.

Whatever you decide unless you have long arms get a short stock for it. Nearly all shotgun stocks are one to three inches too long. (Hogue makes a great one)

You also MUST have a light on it if it's for HD. Consider what accessory is available to attach whatever light to the gun you choose.

You don't really need anything else but you certainly have options.

If your really new to shotguns buy some dummy shells and practice at home as that will save you money.

Then get plenty of Low Recoil ammo of all types and go shoot. If the recoil starts to bother you or family member don't be afraid of buying a $25 recoil pad to strap to the shooters body. They really help those extended range sessions. (And you'll once again appreciate the short stock)

Let us know what you get.
    Last edited by Ron3; 12-12-16 at 13:47.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast