Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best pump shotgun for HD

Feedback Score
    http://www.wilsoncombat.com/standard/

This is basically a refined 870 with an integral light built in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    My Remington 870 express magnum has been an absolute champ for the last 10 years.. I have also handled and shot two from the last 3 years that were nice and smooth and functioned well for the time I had behind them.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I like my 870P 20" 8 shot w/ Speedfeed IV-S stock and Vang dome safety. Maybe some day I'll sent it off to Wilson for a rebuild.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivoak View Post
    http://www.wilsoncombat.com/standard/

This is basically a refined 870 with an integral light built in.
    It's also a $1500 shotgun. We aren't talking a high end competition or clay gun.

Get one of the used guns mentioned above. An old 870 with a light clamped on would serve you well and be dead nuts reliable for sub-$350 total.

Feedback Score
    I think I'm going with a Mossberg 590A1.

is there any difference between the disassembly/reassembly of the 590 and the 500?

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    What model? Many of the Mossberg guns are setup for the tacticool mall ninja crowd... Dripping with crap that has no purpose on a HD shotgun. The basic 51660 would be my first choice.

Feedback Score
    Mossberg has their new zombie killer:

http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/ati-tactical/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    Maybe a Benelli Nova.
    Second, this thought, you can pick these up on the cheap and the have the same rotating head bolt - the "super" expensive ones have. Action is easy and quick. I have a Nova and a Super Nova no SD experience but plenty of trigger time, hunting, clays and just playing. Best of luck on your decision. Super Nova pictured (not HD type but I do have both), Spring 2015 11 1/2 beard. I had deleted the image, didn't want to derail the thread but it popped up anyway, Mods feel free to delete.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 1toughdog; 12-15-16 at 07:14.

Feedback Score
    I would not get a winchester 1300.
    The rotating bolt might be great, but that's the best part of the gun. Overall, they break parts often enough that some parts are virtually unobtainable.

The 870 isn't as good as it was. Not totally useless, the le version still has a metal trigger housing.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Gunfixr; 12-15-16 at 07:46.
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonny22 View Post
    I think I'm going with a Mossberg 590A1.

is there any difference between the disassembly/reassembly of the 590 and the 500?
    The major difference between the 500 and the 590 that you will notice on disassembly is the magazine tube. The 590 has what I call a standard magazine tube end cap - the same design as on most other pump and semi-auto
    shotguns. On these weapons the end of the magazine tube is open and the spring and follower are easily removed for cleaning and spring replacement - or, if you are a hunter, to insert a plug.

The 500, for some reason, was designed with a closed magazine tube. In order to replace the spring or follower, or, to clean the magazine tube, the tube must be unscrewed from the receiver of the shotgun. Generally, at a minimum this requires a strap wrench, often I've had to use a heat gun to loosen thread locking compound (i.e. - loctite).

For the casual user this isn't a big deal, if you are a heavy-user, or use the shotgun in inclement weather the 500's magazine tube is a major pain in the butt.

I've never owned one personally, but had the 'privilege' of trying to keep several of them running in a heavy use training environment. My advice, if you want a Mossberg pump, get a 590. If weight isn't an issue get a 590A1.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast