Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Best pump shotgun for HD

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Lawusmc0844, the Hogue 12 inch LOP stock for the 870 bolts right up to the Hawk 982.

It's well made and weighs about 1 lb less than the stock one. (I weighed them)
    It did not upset the balance of the weapon. I think because it brings it 1.5 inches closer to your body. I only noticed better, faster handling. I didn't notice an increase in recoil either. (Wider, rounder comb, wider, better designed buttpad)

Nothing but good things!
    Yes Hogue 12 LOP stocks are excellent. For the 982 though I finally decided to try out the Magpul SGA as I've been looking at trying one for a long time. Expensive and goofy looking when they first came out but now I think they look just as good as the Hogues. Very ergonomic as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    I've seen more problems than I care to with Mossberg 500s and Mossberg's customer service is little better than Remington's, often requiring multiple trips back to the factory to address issues. I've never seen or heard of an issue with a 590 or a 590A1, but I find the roughness of the action bothersome.

I find the recommendations WRT ghost rings curious, as they have been strongly recommended for serious fighting guns for as long as I can remember. How many SMEs would recommend using an AR, AK, or PCC for HD with only a front sight on it?

Bead sights are great on skeet/trap/clays guns, where you're pointing the shotgun rather than aiming it (and missing the target with a single pellet is meaningless rather than potentially catastrophic), but on an HD gun, unless I'm living alone, it's getting rifle sights at the very least. YMMV.
    I used to own 2 500s, a 20" 8 rd and the 18.5" with collapsible stock. I only sold them because I wasted time and money trying to turn them into a M590A1 SPX when I should have just bought the SPX in the first place. Other than that, they worked 100%, not Freedom Group shit Remington comes out with. I'm surprised you had problems with the 500 series, everyone else I knew with a 500 had good experiences as well.

I've always been big on rifle style sights on HD/duty/tactical shotguns as well, never cared for bead sights.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    keeping it simple - $300.00 used wingmaster 1986 DOM very clean with about $100.00 Remington 18 inch barrel
    DSCN09611_zpsskb3uzy4.jpg
    Last edited by replacement; 12-20-16 at 15:17.

Feedback Score
    Speaking with people at various classes, gun store owners (sample of 2, but well known in local area) I get the impression that shotguns for HD are waning in popularity/utility. Glock 19/17 with 33rd mag, AR pistol, AR, SBR, any dependable standard capacity (15-17rd) 9mm pistol are more popular HD systems than a pump gun that will more likely than not be short stroked under duress. I haven't owned a shotgun for several years, if I were in the market for one, a beretta 1301 tactical would be a consideration with a nordic +2 extension or a benelli m4; pumps not so much as all that will be utilized a HD scenario would be some type of buckshot,00, #4, etc your choice of type. I doubt #8 bird would be used. Just not a SG guy ....sorry for thread drift but perhaps another pov for OP to possibly consider.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'm kinda old skool on shotguns. With my Model 97 I won an Ithaca 37 and a Benelli M1 Super 90. Sold them both. Upgraded to a Browning BPS and won another Benelli, sold it. Did not feel the Benellis lived up to their rep.

Every time I think shotguns these days I kick myself for not buying a Stevens 520 I saw for $129 a few years ago. Worn blued steel and oiled walnut, 85-year-old tasty.

Nothing against 870's, and think Mossbergs are great for the money. In either case, the low-dollar version, or used, I think, ought to do the HD trick.

Feedback Score
    I'll just keep slumming with my 1985 DOM 870… Parkerized, 3' chamber, oil finished stock w/o checkering, steel receiver.

Let me convey to you something I was part of: We took a friends then new Mossberg out with about 300+/- rounds of "You guess the shot shell brass height" ammo. Low brass #8s, high brass OO Buck, high brass #6s, and maybe 25 slugs, etc.

In about an hour, the trigger assembly started to wiggle in the alloy receiver, which began to give us unreliable firing. The trigger assembly had small tabs that engaged grooves in the receiver, they literally wore down, the receiver expanded to the point that when the trigger was pulled, the entire trigger/lifter assembly would pitch down.

We broke a Mossberg in a little over an hour, with just a few hundred rounds. Mossberg has changed the design, OP avoid this older style, if you do buy one.

This was 20+ years ago, Mossberg repaired the shotgun for my buddy, which he promptly sold. My Remington, with it's cross pinned trigger assembly has never had this problem…

OP, Good Luck, what ever you do.
    Last edited by Spin Drift; 12-21-16 at 08:04.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Academy Sports in central Texas has the H&R security 12 ga shotgun for sale at $179. This item is the 870 clone brought in by Remington or its holding company. Although they get good reviews, at the end of the day you still have a Chinese knockoff. I've owned one that functioned perfectly but sold it to a young lady in my office. I can see buying one for farm or utility use or for a second shotgun but not for my one and only defense weapon. I don't trust Chinese QC that much. I put these weapons in the Bushmaster category--many will work ok and some others might not.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by beavis612 View Post
    Remington still manufactures the 870P in a Blued/wood configuration, using the Wingmaster style bolt and metal trigger guard. They are not a catalogued item, and are only available through Lou's Police Supply, model #24899. Around $550 new. A quick google search will bring up plenty of pictures.
    I've heard this, now are these newer produced 870P's made to the same quality as the older produced ones that everyone talks about? Or has quality gone down in all 870's?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As far as I know they still are made with these additional QC steps:

870 Police shotguns go thru a special 23 station check list – ranging from visual inspection, functional testing, test firing, and final inspection.

All Police shotguns are assembled in a “special build area” at the plant in Ilion, NY. This section is secured and serves only to build LE and Military shotguns, with the same factory personnel working at that assignment each shift.

All parts that enter the “special build area” are visually inspected by hand to ensure top quality and functionality.

Due to heavy recoil in buck and slug loads, all 870 Police guns have a longer magazine spring which ensures positive feed and function.

A heavier sear spring is used to generate a reliable, positive trigger pull between 5 and 8 lbs.

A heavier carrier dog spring is used to ensure when the carrier elevates the shell, it will be held there until the bolt can push it into the chamber. This ensures positive feeding when using heavier payload rounds.

The Express model has a BEAD BLAST BLUE finish while the Police models utilize either High Luster bluing or Parkerization.

The Express model utilizes a synthetic trigger housing while the Police models use a compressed metal housing.

The receivers used in Police guns are “vibra honed” to smooth out rough finishes and remove burrs before parkerization or bluing.

Police shotguns use machined ejectors and extractors, as opposed to powdered metal cast which are utilized on the Express models.

Bud's has the wood parkerized 870P: https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...GA+18+BD+IC+PK

Under $500.00 - New: https://www.kiesler.com/product/deta...ce-12-ga-4403/

Used:

https://www.kiesler.com/product/deta...-shotgun-case/

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    The Express model utilizes a synthetic trigger housing while the Police models use a compressed metal housing.
    Not sure this one is true anymore. Also, for the DIYer, these parts can be purchased and added to the express:

Due to heavy recoil in buck and slug loads, all 870 Police guns have a longer magazine spring which ensures positive feed and function.

A heavier sear spring is used to generate a reliable, positive trigger pull between 5 and 8 lbs.

A heavier carrier dog spring is used to ensure when the carrier elevates the shell, it will be held there until the bolt can push it into the chamber. This ensures positive feeding when using heavier payload rounds.

Police shotguns use machined ejectors and extractors, as opposed to powdered metal cast which are utilized on the Express models.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    I prefer the plastic trigger housing over the pot metal one any day.

I shoot a nordic tube with custom cut spring. The police spring wouldn't help me.

My express trigger is just right at 5#

I have never had problems with the lifter spring. If I shot 3" shells I might change it for grins.

Calling it powdered metal implies cheap metal but that isn't so if it is done right. Many gun parts are MIM. Ask Magpul. I have never seen one fail.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast